Phil Spencer says Family Sharing on Xbox One is possible

In a Podcast episode, the head of Microsoft Phil Spencer commented on the idea of bringing back the original proposed Family Sharing Plan and said that it may happen in the future, but it will be a long and bumpy road with the DRM attachment.

Let's take a trip back to June 2013, on the dawn of E3 2013, Microsoft Studios is under heavy fire for their new DRM system, and especially their fee on used games, taking the war publishers have had on used games to new heights. One thing however that was done right was the idea of a Family Sharing program on Xbox One, talked about in the GamertagRadio.com podcast with Phil Spencer, the new head of Microsoft.You see, when the outstanding policies were revamped, the Family Sharing plan went with them, never to see the light of day again, at least, that's what we thought. In the podcast Phil explained how he had loved the idea of a Family Sharing program, and how it is on their agenda for a new, game-based Xbox. He specifically stated, "We looked at the digital features that we had talked about last year and as a gamer, there were a lot of those features that I think really resonated . . . As I look at our monthly update roadmap, those kind of features are in our roadmap. There is a little bit of a challenge now that you've got DRM on a disc." So the idea isn't totally out of the question, in fact, he pretty much states the idea is on the center of their plan, just that it would be difficult to do thanks to DRM already implemented. 

post-26953-0-02088300-1403732311.jpg

Do you like the idea of a Family Sharing plan on the Xbox One, and would it be enough to sell you on one? Let me know below, thanks for reading my friends!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

For those who don't know, the Family Sharing Plan would allow you to share a digital copy of a game with up to 10 people. When you share a game with someone they will then be given access to your entire digital game library. Everyone can play the games from the library at any given moment, but only two can play the same game simultaneously. The owner can always have access to his/her game. The game owner has been jokingly referred to as the "Head of the Household" (They have all the money). 

Quotes:

“I think the policy makes sense,” Spencer said. “It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family, and I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.

You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Edited by Delpen9
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...