Ask The Director 2.0

If one wants to pursue a career as a mathematician and truly loves mathematics, should this person be worried in the amount of job openings or pay to support a reasonably comfortable life? 

Not particularly. A mathematician can get plenty of jobs that are outside of their preferred choice of career until a career opportunity comes along.

For instance, they can be an accountant while they wait for a professor vacancy at Harvard.

Which should I choose? The HTC One M9 or the LG G4. Can you be technical with your answer :question: :D

Well, the G4 seems to have better specs overall.

M9 is about 5" while the G4 is about 5.5"

The M9 has about 441 pixels per inch while the G4 has 538

They both run the same OS (Android v5 Lollipop)

The G4 can hold more memory than the M9

The M9's rear camera has 20mp while the G4's rear camera only has 16 BUT the front cam on the M9 only has 4 mp while the G9's has 8

That being said though, the G4 has that gross leather stuff on it D:

How come every girl I ever meet, I end up being their "best friend," instead of what I actually want to be?

If it's literally every girl you meet, then the problem is with you instead of them. Instead of trying to befriend them and 'hoping for the best', perhaps you should inform them that you like them 'like that' and ask if they like you the same way. If they do not, then do not feel bad about it because rejection is part of dating. Instead, focus your attentions on another girl who may or may not like you.

Thing is, when you get put in 'the friendzone' what's basically happening is that you are nice but they don't want to hurt your feelings by rejecting you outright. Either that or they're too 'nice' to outright reject you. Or they are cruel and wish to tease you. Either way, the rejection has happened and as such you should move on instead of obsessing over them. If you do obsess over them, then they won't date you because they will think you are 'creepy', even if you are not trying to be.

Holy crap dude, why do you know so much.

I hate not knowing things. So I have made it my life goal to know everything. When I'm not playing video games or with my wife, I'm doing research on random things. I want to be a literal know-it-all. As far as the friendzone thing, I've put more than a little effort into psychology.

Wouldn't learning everything in all existence, further and beyond that take more than just one person's lifetime?

I mean you'd have to live long, it doesn't seem possible. I for one would hate to know everything because you would be under ALOT of pressure of constantly be expected of knowing all the answers, instead of letting others learn themselves. Wouldn't it be a manic life?

Sorry if my questions sound a bit dumb.

Wouldn't learning everything in all existence, further and beyond that take more than just one person's lifetime?

I mean you'd have to live long, it doesn't seem possible. I for one would hate to know everything because you would be under ALOT of pressure of constantly be expected of knowing all the answers, instead of letting others learn themselves. Wouldn't it be a manic life?

Sorry if my questions sound a bit dumb.

Well I won't know that for sure until I try it, and yes there's pressure but it's very rare that I don't live up to the expectation of knowing all of the answers. As for it being a manic life, not really. A lot of the time I spend is in quiet contemplation about the things I've learned, whether they make sense, and what they mean for the other things I've learned.

Well, honestly, I don't think most of them actually consider me their best friend, just because I don't think that we could be. I mean, I barely talk to most of them, the only time I really see them is when I'm at work. There is one in particular though, that I do know really considers me her best friend. We're together at least 4-5 times throughout the week, and she's said to me on several occasions that I am her "best friend," or "favorite boy," whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. And unfortunately she is the one I yearn for the most out of them all.

So I bought myself one of these to be able to play my Xbox One on PC Montiors. http://bit.ly/1eHIBrf

Now, it works and everything. Fantastic and such. Except for some reason when it tries to play 1080p it says "Input Not Support" on the screen, not from the Xbox though. I can play on it and everything, I can see the screen and the 1080p but the little box floats around from side to side. However, if I seem to change it to 720p it's completely gone and I'm forced to use these lower resolution graphics. It's not bad, but I can see it. 1080p is why I got the Xbox One, not 720p.

However, my question is do you know why this "Input Not Support" is showing up, or even how to get rid of it? 

So I bought myself one of these to be able to play my Xbox One on PC Montiors. http://bit.ly/1eHIBrf

Now, it works and everything. Fantastic and such. Except for some reason when it tries to play 1080p it says "Input Not Support" on the screen, not from the Xbox though. I can play on it and everything, I can see the screen and the 1080p but the little box floats around from side to side. However, if I seem to change it to 720p it's completely gone and I'm forced to use these lower resolution graphics. It's not bad, but I can see it. 1080p is why I got the Xbox One, not 720p.

However, my question is do you know why this "Input Not Support" is showing up, or even how to get rid of it? 

First guess is that your monitor doesn't support 1920x1080 (or 1080p if you prefer) so is automatically outputting the closest res it can to the one it's being fed (probably something like 1280x1024). 720p is 1280x720 so that's why you're able to play perfectly fine at 720p. 1290x1024 is close to 1080p, but not quite there which is why you're still able to get an image but the monitor still gives you the error.

Either way, there isn't a fix for you situation that doesn't require the purchasing of either a television or a better monitor. :/ Sorry.

I want to make a website one day that help people decide what college degrees or career fields to go into. Students go into fields such as liberal arts, coming out educated but unemployed or employed in a job that doesn't require those skills; It could also be that those degrees taught them no skills whatsoever. 

The website needs to reliably track demand for those degrees, the ins-and-outs of that field: anecdotes from people within that field (Somehow bypassing those who would lie, a la therapists, people sworn to secrecy, and older, Baby Boomer type workers), and briefly covering what material the career/degree covers - all things that would greatly help people like me. 

What skills would I need to accrue to make a functioning website with a clean interface, a plethora of anecdotes from people in other fields, and economic models of job demand? 

What is a good PC RPG game that you would recommend and why?

Oh there are TONS of PC RPGs. Actually, most console RPGs are also available (and more often than not better) on PC.

A really good one (where role-playing is actually a thing) is Space Station 13. I wrote a review on it a while back.

Another good PC RPG would be the KotOR series (one is better than two though).

A good PC exclusive would be the original Witcher.

I want to make a website one day that help people decide what college degrees or career fields to go into. Students go into fields such as liberal arts, coming out educated but unemployed or employed in a job that doesn't require those skills; It could also be that those degrees taught them no skills whatsoever. 

The website needs to reliably track demand for those degrees, the ins-and-outs of that field: anecdotes from people within that field (Somehow bypassing those who would lie, a la therapists, people sworn to secrecy, and older, Baby Boomer type workers), and briefly covering what material the career/degree covers - all things that would greatly help people like me. 

What skills would I need to accrue to make a functioning website with a clean interface, a plethora of anecdotes from people in other fields, and economic models of job demand? 

I would go with a degree in Web Design, learning how to code with whatever the modern coding language is when you get your web design degree, and a minor in economics (or you can hire an economist). Then you'll have to make deals with both universities and companies, so I'd make as many friends as possible while you're studying. You'll also need a few investors because trying to run a site that large on ads alone probably won't work out, and investors will also give you a bit of legitimacy while trying to negotiate with companies and universities.

You'll either have to hire a computer tech major or learn how servers and such work on your own. 

On your site you're going to need a 'reputation' system and some moderators for the anecdotes bit of it. That way, if an anecdote is flagged as unrealistic then a moderator can remove it. 

You'll also need to learn patenting and how to look up copyrights (so you don't inadvertently put something that is copyrighted on your site and get sued).

• Like 2

Is there a such thing as a stupid question?

Yes. A question that makes an assumption that something is true when it isn't.

For instance, "If computers were people then what would their favorite color be?"

The reason that it is a 'stupid' question is because it makes the assumption that computers are people, which they are not, and poses a hypothetical situation with a query that is in it's nature unanswerable. The only way to determine the answer would be if the original assumption of the question were factual, and since it is not the question cannot be answered.

Does the number two actually exist? :)

Technically, yes. While the number two does not have a 'tangible' presence in our world it does exist in our collective consciousness, thereby allowing us to accomplish such things as measurement, sorting, and mathematics. If the number two did not exist then we would not be able to perform such feats without replacing it with another symbol of that number.

What would be better for holding my hair in a certain place, a band of lace, or a hairband? I actually use the lace because it's cute, but I want something more effective.

Hairbands are more effective, but style > effectiveness when it comes to fashion. My recommendation is to use a hairband/clip (a cheap one that won't break the bank) to see if it's worth giving up the band of lace for. If you find that it is worth it, then seek out a cuter hairband/clip to use.

What is the best place to go where I can sell my digital Abstracts online?

I really need money, and so far looking for a summer job only brought me nothing.

There are rules against me referring you to sites where you can do this, but if you google "sell my digital abstracts online" there will be a link to a site called Artsy Shark (should be the first one) that has a massive list of places where you can sell them.