What makes us a Community?

Tbh when i met you i thought you were a meanie but then i realised this is actually how you normally act but in a good way seing as how not every one comes across as a laid back type of person( and you are pretty helpful on this site too when one needs info about certain things). But still, this was a nice read especially for those who dont know you yet. And, i pretty much agreed 100% with everything you mentioned here twinkreaper! :)

• Like 2

To be honest I don't think the terms hurt anyone. It's not really "hurtfull" to call someone MLG. If anything that's a pretty lazy insult. One I doubt most people will take offense to.

If someone called me MLG I'd just reply that I'm Casual: Which I actually am. I don't have the time to play Video Games all the time like I used to, so I've been resorted to playing every once in awhile... which is pretty casual to me.

I may be Casual, but I am really competetive. Not enough to merit me being labled as "MLG" (which I don't play any of the so called "MLG" playlists in the first place). If I so happened to actually play enough of the Pro Playlists, then sure I'm fine with being called MLG.

I do understand what you're saying (Kind of. Really long posts get really hard to read for me).

My brain is half working right now since I've been at an Construction Industry-Company Speech/Share thingy all day, and I'm pretty freaking tired. I had to sit and listen to like 20 people make speeches about their respective Companies, and them trying to reel in employees. :lazy:

That was a long read and an incredibly well written post, I do however have to disagree on some points. 

I think Halo has a core gameplay mechanic, it's what sets it apart from other FPS titles. Halo introduced a concept called the golden triangle. The golden triangle is a refference to Halo's control scheme: one button for shooting, one button for melee and one button for grenades. This is one of the only things I see as a "core" mechanic. CoD uses this as well and in the later Battlefield games this mechanic was also introduced. Now I know CoD was mostly a pc game, but Halo introduced it to consoles.

The other thing I consider a core mechanic are the vehicles, not in terms of there being vehicles, but again in terms of controls. Halo uses a very different control scheme for vehicles, mostly by turning the camera where you want the said vehicle to go. This adds another factor to what defines Halo, your spacial awareness while driving. Due to the camera being your steer, controlling a vehicle gives you more control over the vehicle, allowing you to drift, turn or change direction on the fly. This makes vehicle feel less sticky or heavy to turn.

I consider myself a fan/ hardcore fan of Halo, but also a bit of a purist, namely that I consider myself to be a veteran of the series, however I do not use this in arguments about Halo.

I think you probably also noticed all the hate about Halo 4 sometimes swooping over the forums, giving arguments is frowned upon and opinions are stated as false, something which bothers me a lot, because coming back with an argument is nearly impossible. 

I respect that you take the time to clarify some of the aspects of being a fan and your conclusion is in alignment of my own opinion of what makes you a fan. 

• Like 1

Eh. I don't give one about multiplayer, as I have found that there are other games that have much more replayablility. However, I get a bit annoyed when I hear the Halo 3 Brigade coming and saying how new players ruin the series, and saying how we should essentially have a Halo 3 clone. Bonus points if they try bringing up K/D, 'casual', or other derogatory terms for players who prefer other games. And of course, the classic 'return to CoD'. 

Me? I think the campaign is what is integral to Halo. The camapign was what attracted a multitude of players all those years ago- before Xbox LIVE even existed- and it's the only thing I care that much about in the series.

Oh, and forge. Can't forget forge.

I think you all are missing the point of the post. The post isn't supposed to make you rethink what you are or what you are not. I did it to show you all you illogical and misunderstood it is, to throw around the terms we do, to defend our positions and standpoints as individuals and groups.

You guys seem to be reading into it, doing the exact opposite of what it was intended to. Your labeling yourselves and taking a perspective standpoint on the information. It was designed to be a learning post, nothing more. I see my words were once again wasted.

I think you all are missing the point of the post. The post isn't supposed to make you rethink what you are or what you are not. I did it to show you all you illogical and misunderstood it is, to throw around the terms we do, to defend our positions and standpoints as individuals and groups.

You guys seem to be reading into it, doing the exact opposite of what it was intended to. Your labeling yourselves and taking a perspective standpoint on the information. It was designed to be a learning post, nothing more. I see my words were once again wasted.

I had a hard time actually getting the gist of what you were actually posting, so my bad. Too much words make me self destruct.

(I am pretty slow)

I think you're saying we all should just come together as a Community instead of arguing, and labeling each other. While I'm not bothered by labeling (unless the label is hurtful or "questionably suggestive") I do think allot less arguing and the like should tone down a bit.

Why can't we all just get along? *Why can't we be friends begins to play in the background *

Or perhaps there's a reason why we label ourselves? In the first place this has never shattered the community, alienated each specific group further from each other. Sure, we have arguments. Sure, the 'competitive' players might go to the 'casual' players and say that they're just complaining about things that kill them, or that they're just asking for things that would give them an edge. Sure, the casual crowd might go to the competitive gamers and say they should cool off, and that it doesn't 'really matter'. 

Is it illogical, and misunderstood? Yes, of course. We're all "Fans" and there's no point in splitting it up. We've all taken a liking to Halo, enjoying the good's and acknowledging the bad's. But when we raise a point in our discussion, it always helps to be able to back it up not by cementing that 'we are more correct than you because we are X and you are Y', but by ensuring that they know 'this is the viewpoint of me, who is an X'. Sure, maybe we say it differently, but more often than not that will happen because there appears to be an ounce if idiocy involved within the point (E.g. "WHy does incin cannon kill me but not my teammates !???). 

But differentiating the player base is both helpful in discussions, where you can make sure that everybody knows every different point of view possible. Why?

Because let's face it. There's always going to be a difference between the 'MLG' and the 'Casuals'. One side of them are players who hop on matchmaking just to have a blast. I have no idea how they do it but they can go around, get around 10 kills and 20 deaths, and still be "Having fun". Whether it's actual fun or if I'm wrong, I'm not sure, but they aren't going to be the "MLG" side of players who hop on to Arena, or Ranked, or try to bring up their CSR. These are the players who will, in pubs, consistently perform at the top of their pub lobby teams. These are the players who crave competition, who can feel boredom creeping up them in normal matchmaking now that there really isn't much point in playing, since they're going to do good, and the only thing that might happen is they absolutely demolish the other team - or he/she is put in a team full of noobs who still throw the game despite being carried. Casuals might ask for a buff to a gun - simply because they don't know how to use it - while Competitive players might be asking to nerf it because they've seen it used to it's full capability and it's absolutely devastating.

It doesn't matter where you are, or what you are, within a long-standing hobby there's going to be a split in the community someplace, somewhere. In gaming there are the 'casuals' who just play for 'teh funzies', the 'competitives' to like to win, who like a challenge. Maybe in Halo we also have the forgers, who might think that 343i should address the Halo 4 Forge ASAP, or the custom gamers, who think 343i failed miserably in custom game options.

This is for other games to. MOBA players have craaaazy competitiveness, considering it's a massive international tournament which gives you the largest $$$ prize in eSports, like, ever - but there's a "casual" crowd to. Call of Duty has some of the biggest eSports names and titles - heck, Cod is something you can participate in at this year's Summer X-Games, and will be broadcast on ESPN - but the casual crowd is SOOOOO MASSIVE.

Same with sports; the sports pyramid practically cuts it out into sections for you. Foundation, for the people who just start doing a sport, all the way up to Elite, people who are competing in Olympics and World cups and stuff. There's a "Casual" and "Competitive" crowd, and if we can discern it from the few hundred years of sports history, we should be able to know that - no matter what, a community is just gonna split up like that. You can't prevent it; you can say the wording is illogical and meaningless but you can't say the actual split in player base is. Calling the 'competitive' players 'MLG hardcore fans' and calling the casuals, well, 'casual fans' might be absolutely stupid wording once you take it literally, but you can't say that these different 'castes' are useless, because:

(tl;dr)

1. They each give a different point of view to the table

2. All together they're just one community anyway.

• Like 1

This wasnt a kumbayah sing along happy post. The laguage, grouping and wording of this sites sycophantic self centered complaints is really ******* annoying me. The fact that you all went through my post shows me just how self centered and illogical it all really is.

There is no meaning, or justifying reason to it. There is no deep problem or hidden euphanysim to discover. I utterly hate the way a majority of the community regards itselves and others who disagree with their standpoints. You should all know me well enough to know that I have tried in the past to bring the community together and try to repair the damage that has been caused. It was a lost cause from the start. This was a reflection post to shed my hatred for pretty much everyone who has posted nonsense and bull**** over the past 6 months.

I just thought I would go about a different way as opposed to my usual M.O. This thread can be locked now. It's quite obvious I waste my time and breathe even bothering to communicate or enlighten this jaded sad community.

Sadly, the world is this way about everything - everyone labels each other, no one can tolerate other opinions. Everyone perceives things differently - that's the way it is. Just like you are born as ugly or as beautiful as you are - without choice. This isn't just some video game community issue -- IT'S HUMANITY! The fools who hate each other -- who abuse one another because of silly things like skin color or beliefs! And that's just humans...

This wasnt a kumbayah sing along happy post. The laguage, grouping and wording of this sites sycophantic self centered complaints is really ******* annoying me. The fact that you all went through my post shows me just how self centered and illogical it all really is.

There is no meaning, or justifying reason to it. There is no deep problem or hidden euphanysim to discover. I utterly hate the way a majority of the community regards itselves and others who disagree with their standpoints. You should all know me well enough to know that I have tried in the past to bring the community together and try to repair the damage that has been caused. It was a lost cause from the start. This was a reflection post to shed my hatred for pretty much everyone who has posted nonsense and bull**** over the past 6 months.

I just thought I would go about a different way as opposed to my usual M.O. This thread can be locked now. It's quite obvious I waste my time and breathe even bothering to communicate or enlighten this jaded sad community.

I can understand why you're agitated by the comments above but just to point out, a majority of members here are still young. Just to throw that out there, I'm just skipping a stone over a river here. I get everybody is different regarding mindset but I think it's just instinctive that people throw out their opinion and/or thoughts, even if your post is to basically state the issues on the terms of view regarding the subjects you brought up above. I thought it was a good read, and I already knew this wasn't suppose to be a some what argument. Don't think you've wasted your time with this post, I'm positive other members read this and understood what you're getting at. 

Edited by ShockGazm

There's a difference between having two different groups who discuss things from their own point of view and having people who are egotistical, arrogant, self-centered and ignorant. 

It's fine to have two different groups, but it isn't fine to back up your egotistical, arrogant, self-centered and ignorant argument by calling out a different group for being a different group.

It's not exactly the label's or the grouping's problem. It's the people who are being arrogant, who see themselves as the center of the world and thinks that everyone else and everything else revolves around them. THAT's the root of the problem here, not calling people casual or competitive. Chances are we went through your post because we realized that.

Just a question, no offence, but. Why are you always so moody? This post kinda made me feel like I was personally being shouted at, and it probably made a lot of other people feel the same way. That's not on, especially considering most people haven't done what you're saying here. Even though I know this particular post wasn't aimed at everyone, I'm just simply stating that I felt personally shouted at and I didn't really appreciate that :(.

Every time I turn around, I see people posting things like "Us true fans get it, you don't", or "I was there since the beginning, so I know I'm right" or "Your not a hardcore fan, so you have no say"  These are the types of defending points I am sick of seeing.  If we were gonna go down that route to defend positions, then by all means and standards I, and about 3 others would have the only right to post anything.

Yes I am moody, and I always have been.  I have no patience for ignorance and stupidity, a quality most members like about me since it allows me to be 100% honest with everyone and I don't hold my tongue.  With me, you know exactly what you will get, I don't hide or sugar coat anything.  And yes I can be condescending at times, at that is not usually the result I strive for.  I like to report fact, and actual game data derived, pulled and decoded directly from the game files, and sometimes my wisdom and knowledge comes off a certain way or rubs people the wrong way.

• Like 3

Every time I turn around, I see people posting things like "Us true fans get it, you don't", or "I was there since the beginning, so I know I'm right" or "Your not a hardcore fan, so you have no say"  These are the types of defending points I am sick of seeing.  If we were gonna go down that route to defend positions, then by all means and standards I, and about 3 others would have the only right to post anything.

Yes I am moody, and I always have been.  I have no patience for ignorance and stupidity, a quality most members like about me since it allows me to be 100% honest with everyone and I don't hold my tongue.  With me, you know exactly what you will get, I don't hide or sugar coat anything.  And yes I can be condescending at times, at that is not usually the result I strive for.  I like to report fact, and actual game data derived, pulled and decoded directly from the game files, and sometimes my wisdom and knowledge comes off a certain way or rubs people the wrong way.

You know, I am loving your posts more and more. 

I felt the same way, but you describe it with such tact and honesty, that I just can't disagree. Even if I gave a statement about what I consider the core gameplay, I just can't disregard your arguments, I can only give my opinion.

Keep being awesome!

By all means, go ahead and tell them to stop. Are your points valid? Yes. Will you be able to tell people to stop that?

Hmm, no. Probably not. Idiots are idiots. Too bad.

I have no patience for ignorance and stupidity, a quality most members like about me since it allows me to be 100% honest with everyone and I don't hold my tongue.  With me, you know exactly what you will get, I don't hide or sugar coat anything. 

Man if I were like this I'd be banned lol