Pbrabbit's Musical of the Week

Pbrabbit

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, elites and grunt and everyone else welcome to this weeks Backstage Info Sesh with yours truly, Pbrabbit.

So you might be asking yourself, WTF is a musical? Why should I care or even, Should I just stop reading?

My Answer to those:

A musical is like a play, except it has songs in it, Care a little bit and NO

This weeks Musical: WICKED

Wicked-poster.jpg

"Wicked (full title: Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz) is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartzand a book by Winnie Holzman. It is based on the 1995 Gregory Maguire novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, a parallel novel of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum's 1900 classic story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The musical is told from the perspective of the witches of the Land of Oz; its plot begins before and continues after Dorothy's arrival in Oz from Kansas and includes several references to the 1939 film and Baum's novel. Wicked tells the story of two unlikely friends, Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) and Glinda (the Good Witch of the North), who struggle through opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace."

Source

My take on this show is this. This is a fairly new show to be on broadway. Coming to the Broadway stage around May 2003. Compared to A Chorus Line(1970's) and other famous shows from the 1900's and some even from the late 1800's(Pirates of Penzance). This show is exciting, fresh and quite a thrill to see. Literally a thrill because when I went to go see it for the third time, the person behind me had a heart attack, No Joke ;) . Anyways, the show is great, the story is amazing, and the music is spectacular. Here are a couple popular songs from the show.

Popular

Defying Gravity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMBcTGJ4YM

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, elites and grunt and everyone else welcome to this weeks Backstage Info Sesh with yours truly, Pbrabbit.

So you might be asking yourself, WTF is a musical? Why should I care or even, Should I just stop reading?

My Answer to those:

A musical is like a play, except it has songs in it, Care a little bit and NO

This weeks Musical: Avenue Q

Image-AvenueQlogo.png

"Avenue Q is an American musical in two acts, conceived by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx, who wrote the music and lyrics. The book was written by Jeff Whitty and the show was directed by Jason Moore. Avenue Q is an "autobiographical and biographical" coming-of-age parable, addressing and satirizing the issues and anxieties associated with entering adulthood. Its characters lament that as children, they were assured by their parents, and by children's television programs such as PBS's Sesame Street, that they were "special" and "could do anything"; but as adults, they have discovered to their surprise and dismay that in the real world their options are limited, and they are no more "special" than anyone else.[1] The musical is notable for the use of puppets, animated by unconcealed puppeteers, alongside human actors."

Source

For me, this show is a complete comedy, something just to tickle your funny bone. Though many people criticize the show for its numerous inappropriate themes, but the real fact is, the show reveals many of life's great truths. It sends the message that some inappropriate topics in society are acceptable for the stage. The show overall is hilarious! 

Warning: Songs have minimal swears and adult themes.

Everyone's a Little Bit Racist

It Sucks to be Me