campaign

Jon Chapman

Let me just sum this up for you dude. The Halo 4 campaign was amazing. Do you know what a good game is when you see it? Guess not. I guess you need to go and play another game, cause doesn't look like this game is gonna get you too far.

I played not just Halo 4 campaign, but Halo 1,2,3,ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars. And after playing all of those titles, I will have to say that Halo 4 campaign was lacking. Yes, the Forerunners were ugly as **** and I blame the design team for that. The music was terrible in comparison to Halo 2 and 3, the gameplay was the only improvement. 

I actually really enjoyed the look and feel of the campaign, especially the forerunners. I feel that the design team put in an amazing job on it, and especially from watching all of the behind the scenes, I absolutely fell in love with the time, and effort they put to adding a face, to a faceless enemy.

I liked the feeling of playing the game; everything felt fluid and smooth. The graphics were a definite improvement. Mechanically, this game is amazing.

But what annoyed me the most was the Didact. Every game that has an emphasis or a semblance of a plot has an antagonist. The Mario franchise has Bowser. The Megaman series has Dr. Wily; X has Sigma. These guys give you a reason to want to defeat them, even though the games they star in have just a semblance of story. Bowser kidnaps Peach, Wily tries to rule the world, Sigma... I dunno... I haven't played Megaman X.

The Didact didn't. He just appeared and made both enemy factions who already shot at you stop shooting at each other and focus their fire on you, then blasted off in his Spooky Sphere. Then he zapped some folks and bit the dust in an anticlimactic boss fight. The Covenant had a bad habit of turning human worlds into glass from orbit; they killed billions. I didn't appreciate that. All the Didact did was wreck New Phoenix and a space station.

Exdeath from Final Fantasy 5 was also a lame antagonist, but even he gave me more reasons to dislike him.

He killed Galuf and sent people into the Void! But he only did this spontaneously...

In short, the Didact is a mustache-twirler antagonist who just appears out of nowhere and (tries to) ruin your day.

I played not just Halo 4 campaign, but Halo 1,2,3,ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars. And after playing all of those titles, I will have to say that Halo 4 campaign was lacking. Yes, the Forerunners were ugly as **** and I blame the design team for that. The music was terrible in comparison to Halo 2 and 3, the gameplay was the only improvement.

It was a joke regarding that there was something you missed in campaign, I'm pretty sure everyone here has played all the games.

The Didact looked ugly for a reason, like it is literally explained in the game. Plus nothing ever said they looked good in the first place, so that wouldn't be any kind of fault.

The music had to change due to copyright issues (plus Halo 2's rock song was so...ugh...) 1 and 3 were easily the best, however that doesn't mean Halo 4's is bad. In fact after listening to it for some time you begin to like it, at least I did.

• Like 1

Halo 4's Campaign had the best story IMO, but the gameplay was lacking compared to the other games.

It's a great game, but when you measure it up against the other Halos it falls short.

It's too easy, too predictable. And the enemy AI is really stupid. They run into walls, get stuck in Banshees when they hit objects, and don't chase you like the enemies in other games would.

I greatly enjoyed the Halo 4 campaign. I think that the reason your disappointed with this campaign is because it was way more story driven. In the past Halo games, the campaign seems to be more about killing and shooting. Reach's cutseens were more like mission briefings , CE's and 2's cutseens were more like breaks from the action. 3's cutseens were little snippets on the story. However, in halo 4, the campaign is extremely story driven. It is more about adventuring the mysterious planet your on and eventually going out to defeat humanities greatest threat, the didact. I like the story that 343i set out for us and, if you ask me, this game has a high replay value.

• Like 3

I greatly enjoyed the Halo 4 campaign. I think that the reason your disappointed with this campaign is because it was way more story driven. In the past Halo games, the campaign seems to be more about killing and shooting. Reach's cutseens were more like mission briefings , CE's and 2's cutseens were more like breaks from the action. 3's cutseens were little snippets on the story. However, in halo 4, the campaign is extremely story driven. It is more about adventuring the mysterious planet your on and eventually going out to defeat humanities greatest threat, the didact. I like the story that 343i set out for us and, if you ask me, this game has a high replay value.

I agree, although the first games weren't mostly story driven at first, the books really made the stories stand out. If you ask me, Halo eventually evolved into more of a story than just "shoot and go". After replaying the trilogy, I see what part of the story each game had to tell. However, recently, the games have had less need for books or extra media to tell the story of the universe. There is no less shooting, but somehow the game got worse? I see no reason to think so.

• Like 2

Alright, I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing i am. The campaign really didn't entertain me that much. Not only that but a lot more was expected from the story and ti be honest 343 used some false advertisement about Halo 4. However i expected this for even with Budgie the multiplier has always been the center of attention (well at least with reach i enjoyed Halo 2) Also where was the brutes and why was the elites against us?

I became excited when the covenant fought against the Prometheans but was disappointed when they joined forces. (looks like my 3 way war got cut short)

Even though Halo 4 campaign wasn't the best i can't say it wasn;t entirely bad, graphics are awesome and what 343 did with Cortana, hmm Budgie could never do that. Chief's armor is without a doubt the best i've ever seen and the new spartan's... Finally my prayers are answered (i was tired of master chef being the only one)

In all i believe 343 really needs to sit back and create a kick ass story line.

Firstly and sorry to say its Bungie not Budgie (makes me lol so hard, we all hate autocorrect eh?)

Personally the campaign in Halo 4 is better and more engrossing than all the others, the story sucks you in and makes you care about what happens, who wasn't shocked? Upset? when the Cortana incident happened?

The replay value from H4's campaign is brilliant, played it several times all the way through, sadly the MP on Halo 4 is lacking, which in today's gaming environment is what a game needs to last.

If only Microsoft had given 343 another 6 months, then we wouldn't be playing Halo 4's beta MP all the time.

• Like 3

i agree and before they should begin to work on Halo 5 i believe 343 should get all of the kinks out of the muliplayer, honestly we'll be fine with H4 and Halo 2 anniversary that will be released for the Xbox1 i think not sure if it will be on 360  

There are several problems with campaign

1. Weak soundtrack 

2. Lack of interesting characters (Stereotypical empathetic side-kick: Lasky + Stereotypical aggressive female marine: Palmer + Stereotypical ******* officer: Del Rio) 

3. Corny dialogue (Del Rio looking at Promethean hologram on Infinity: "Where the hell did those things come from??") 

4. Transparent and cliche attempts to portray the Chief as a "victim" (what are we, 5? We already know the military is hell! We already know it messes people up! Post-modernism!)

5. Lack of human cities to defend (this is what made Halo 2-3 feel epic and familiar: fighting through Mombassa's streets gave you the comfort of being home on earth while giving you a sense of excitement knowing that you were about to assault Regret's cruiser in Metropolis and kick the covenant's *** out of town) 

6. Lack of subtlety with the Forerunners (Halo 1-3 did a good job of making their race enigmatic and mysterious, making the players wonder what they looked like, how they built everything, etc. 343 gives us these ugly orc-faced aliens that don't even fit the description of "gods" as the Covenant call them - I found the Didact to be more stupid looking than intimidating. I pictured the Forerunners as elegant and beautiful beyond imagination, but instead 343 goes Star Wars on us gives us the cliche bald, pale-skin, humanoid aliens that we've already seen a million times. I was very disappointed in the appearance of the Forerunners - it ruined a lot for me. 

7. You had to have read the books to understand what the **** was going on in the campaign. 

If you didn't know , The Didact looks like this because of mutations caused by the testing he did on himself with the composer.

Anyway Bungie left Halo 3 off by a ripped apart ship floating towards a Forerunner planet. I would say that they did a good job for their first halo game. Although there were some minor setbacks which all games have.

Alright, I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing i am. The campaign really didn't entertain me that much. Not only that but a lot more was expected from the story and ti be honest 343 used some false advertisement about Halo 4. However i expected this for even with Budgie the multiplier has always been the center of attention (well at least with reach i enjoyed Halo 2) Also where was the brutes and why was the elites against us? I became excited when the covenant fought against the Prometheans but was disappointed when they joined forces. (looks like my 3 way war got cut short) Even though Halo 4 campaign wasn't the best i can't say it wasn;t entirely bad, graphics are awesome and what 343 did with Cortana, hmm Budgie could never do that. Chief's armor is without a doubt the best i've ever seen and the new spartan's... Finally my prayers are answered (i was tired of master chef being the only one) In all i believe 343 really needs to sit back and create a kick *** story line.

That's a big problem, the focus being on multiplayer. Halo 2 was the most basic multiplayer, and it seems a ton of people want it back. So if I was in charge I'd just put Halo 2 multiplayer in the game with forge and customizable armor. Keep it simple that way and focus more on the campaign.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...