Does anybody think the Jackals in H4 looks better than the ones in the previous games?

AnimalDenWinter

I was wondering what you guys thought of the Jackals in H4: are they harder to kill than in any other Halo games? Do they look like dinosaurs? (I think they do!)

Do they look better? Did 343 do a good job on them?

What do you think? Please leave feed-back. :)

• 1 month later...

I love Jackals! I say combine the forces of the Avian Jackals and Skirmishers, with the Reptilian Jackals! I'll be in HEAVEN!

Jackals in Halo 4 are the only good looking variant of the Covenant races 343 made. Don't go into the tall grass! Velociraptors roam in there. 

Jackals are the best!

I like their new look in general, but in some way I dont know if it was right to change it that much...

I mean, Jackals always were those ugly, annoying defenders of the Elite-Infantry nobody really liked. Now they look like mini-elites themselves.

So I guess its the loss of tthe old ,,jackal-feeling" that bothers me and I wouldnt have changed their look even if they now seem more sleek and agile.

I don't think that many people hated them or regarded them as ugly, per say (With exception to the Halo 1 jackals. oh god). But noting the evolution of species, it is believable that at an early stage, they might have splintered off into a separate species due to climate, but thanks to their culture, or thanks to the Covenant, they came together as a single species. One has to remember, the birds we see today are still very close to the dinosaurs that once roamed the Earth.

That, and 343 couldn't use Bungie's design as their own, and so needed to modify them. What better way than to change them drastically? Think of these reptilian jackals as a off-shoot of the species. There was, in one of the early games, an amphibious jackal concept. (What a dreadful idea)

• 2 weeks later...

The Jackals in Halo 4 look absolutely terrible. Their necks are fatter and they lack the long snouts that were characteristic of previous models. I like what they did with the jawline and teeth, though, since it makes them look more like dinosaurs. Still, I wish they had skinnier necks and heads, it would make them look more like predators. Also, they don't behave like previous jackals did. In halo ce, 2 and 3 shielded jackals would slowly advance towards you in a sort of phalanx formation, while sniper jackals would remain in one spot and were very deadly. In halo 4, jackals behave more like elites, rushing at you heedlessly, while the sniper jackals take too much time to kill you, making them less of a challenge. 

That, and 343 couldn't use Bungie's design as their own, and so needed to modify them. What better way than to change them drastically? Think of these reptilian jackals as a off-shoot of the species. There was, in one of the early games, an amphibious jackal concept. (What a dreadful idea)

Why couldn't they have used Bungies design as their own?  They own the rights to everything Halo related, including designs.  They could easily have just taken what Bungie designed and then tweaked it, instead of completely redesigning them.

The Halo 4 Jackals could very well be another sub-species like the Skirmishers in Halo: Reach. A different Genus of Jackal if you will. That's why they look so drastically different from regular Jackals. Or maybe they just evolved to handle combat situations more easily. Since they abandoned their Pirating lifestyle you would expect them to go through changes to adjust to combat.

In my opinion I think the Halo 4 Jackals look pretty cool. The old ones looked like **** in my opinion. Like walking gaint featherless birds. I think the only thing that 343 left out about the new Jackals is for them to be able to run around and attack people with their claws and crap. Just imagine a pack of H4 Jackals going Veloceraptor on you're ass :D