Armor

ForgeMonitor

Armor customization is really great. It's what keeps players coming back for more, to get that sweet helmet or katana. I like the amount of customization in Halo 4, but a lot of it is redundant and takes up valuable space on the disc. I know that the Xbox3 will be able to run really complex stuff, but I don't see a compact disc revolution coming anytime soon. These are some ways to improve armor, making it stand out more and be less redundant.

Color: I don't care how much you covet Recon or the Master Chief helmet; color is the ultimate expression on armor. Back in Halo CE, color was the only thing customizable. Then, it was just the entire suit; now, every piece of armor's color should be variable. This might not be prevalent in team game modes because of red and blue, so let's move onto something else.

Helmets: Almost as important as armor color, it's like your face--how would it be like not to have a face? Helmets should be distinctly recognizable and linked to an accomplishment. A good example is the MC helmet; you must complete the Campaign on Legendary. All armor should be linked to achievements; the credit system should be scrapped. To get armor of any kind, players should be brought back to the Campaign, the part of the game that requires the most time to build but is forgotten a week or two after being played. When players complete achievements in the Campaign, not only is it better than droning for hours in War Games, it signifies an accomplishment, a feat. For instance, there could be a Promethean Knight helmet awarded for assassinating three in one level. This leads into interchangeability.

Mix 'n Match: Some people like to have the craziest armor possible. How awesome would it be to have the torso of a Spartan, the legs of an Elite, and the helmet of a Knight? In Reach, there was Elite armor and Spartan armor. Why not change it up?

Armor sets: There's nothing more BA than sporting a full suit of ODST armor. These sets are more recognizable than generic Spartan combinations. They must be linked to Campaign achievements (lead all marines through safely on Mission 3). They are also great for machinimas.

Chest piece/icon: The amount of chest pieces in Halo 4 is ridiculous. No one ever looks at them, and they are a waste of space. The icon/logo/symbol is often overlooked in-game. My idea is to combine the two. There should be one chest piece for Spartans, one for ODSTs, one for Elites, and so on. The logo should be featured on the chest piece and be very visible. This will add more character to players armor.

Add-ons: The finishing touches on an armor set; it's so cool to walk around with a katana strapped onto your back. What about pistol holsters, or a whip slung over the shoulder? Sure. These things especially should be linked with achievements and be released regularly over the game's life.

Those are my idea and breakdowns. The gist of it is to remove things that don't serve a purpose (e.g. 50 chest pieces that no one cares about) and add meaningful items that connote accomplishments, like a katana or Promethean helmet. These changes will save space for a longer campaign and more MP maps and keep people interested for a while. Thanks for reading, and please leave your feedback.

• Like 1

i do  agree most armor pices in halo 4 looked the same and yes i belive every part of the armor should be cusomizable in coulder and in team games you could get marking on youre armor of youre primary couler or something like that not sure i agree on this but the coolest looking hemets should be linked to accoplisments like legendry camapin or killing 2 player with a sparten laser with the same shot ect and yes i kinda agree we need less armor and 343 should focus on armor peaple can reconise the armor in halo 4 looks the same adn yes i want add ons like a katana etc

good ideasby the way :thumbsup:

• Like 1

personally, i'm a big fan of halo reach's armor system. I do think the armor should be be achieved, not purchased though. In reach, your spartan was the centerpiece of your profile. It had a large display in a lobby, and the armor peieces were distinctly different. Halo reduced the spartan to a small portrait, and half of the armor is indistinguishable and dull. The variety needs to get amped up a bit from halo 4, but i did like the addition of new visor colors and stances.

As for your ideas, i think the add-ons are the smartest idea. They would look extremely bada**, and would add some good customization options. I just picture the security shoulder from halo reach with the massive knife on it when i think of this idea. This could easily include things like the katana, holsters, radios, and combat knives.

• Like 2

Well just some info: On your shoulders, your emblem and current UNSC emblem appear. Also, Back in Halo 3 there was a band of color on your leg that remained during team games, I think that should have remained in Halo, but did hurt the system performance (but barely, the helmets take more to generate).

@PP I am aware of the shoulder emblems, but 343i could eliminate the need for a lot of chest pieces if they used those pieces to display the emblems, which are easier to render than distinct chest pieces. Also, there should be a party hat add-on, earned by getting headshots on 1000 grunts in Campaign with the skull on.

i like all of the ideas. great job. i never liked the halo 4 armor customs and all that. and i hate that you have to have live to customize your spartan. i like reaches armor customs MUCH more than halo 4 and any other game. i'd rather prefer reaches armor customs and armor over all. i thought that was much better than halo 4

• Like 1