The return of the AA...

Baeztoberfest

Which would you want to see again in Halo 4? Maybe even as downloaded content? Armor Lock? Halo 3's Bubble Shield? Combat Roll? Halo 3's Radar Jammer? (Yeah I know Active Camo does this but I was talking about a map wide ability) Halo 3's Shield Drain? (Not those pesky pulse grenade wanna be's eww) what're some ideas y'all had? What could be cool?

I enjoyed using equipment in Halo 3. I didn't use the radar jammer though because it had physics properties that got it removed from Matchmaking. As for bringing any of it back... I feel no desire or repulsion to it. I used it as much as anyone else, but it wasn't critical to my enjoyment of the game.

And the AAs from Reach like Armor Lock, while I STILL laugh at people who couldn't handle an armor locker, they have been largely replaced. The hardlight shield serves the purpose of the dropshield/armor lock, obviously it isn't quite as useful as armor lock was (You see it much less in MM), but several of the AAs are like that (Don't see a lot of effective autosentries either).

Looking back on it I suppose equipment was better than AAs because it managed to stay in Matchmaking largely unedited for a longer time. With AAs in Reach Bungie decided to back off of their own idea and 343 continued that. I never thought jet packs or armor lock were broken, but Bungie made sure every map was crushed with soft kill zones after awhile and the first thing 343 did when they took the reigns was nerf armor lock. Other AAs never saw much use, like the dropshield. It's a bit sad because I liked AAs when they were introduced (Although I thought sprint being among them was lame, I still used it a lot), I feel like a bit more thought, effort, and faith in the idea could have made AAs a more welcome addition to the game.

So I wouldn't have any of them back. I enjoyed using the shield drain and bubble shield equipments a lot, but everyone stays one-shot forever in this game and bubble shields wouldn't work for other reasons. The regen field limped back as a weaker AA, and the radar jammer was never that exciting anyway. I liked armor lock even though I didn't use it, and even though I still feel like it was fine and everyone who disagreed was silly, it didn't make the cut and that says enough about it. Evade would have been better with thruster pack range, thruster pack would be better if you stayed in 1st person like you did with evade. Amazing how close Bungie and 343 came to doing something good with those AAs and failed in both cases. Seems like everything that makes thruster pack good was accidental.

Funny I didn't start this post intending to criticize AAs and such, it just kinda ended up that way.

I enjoyed using equipment in Halo 3. I didn't use the radar jammer though because it had physics properties that got it removed from Matchmaking. As for bringing any of it back... I feel no desire or repulsion to it. I used it as much as anyone else, but it wasn't critical to my enjoyment of the game.

And the AAs from Reach like Armor Lock, while I STILL laugh at people who couldn't handle an armor locker, they have been largely replaced. The hardlight shield serves the purpose of the dropshield/armor lock, obviously it isn't quite as useful as armor lock was (You see it much less in MM), but several of the AAs are like that (Don't see a lot of effective autosentries either).

Looking back on it I suppose equipment was better than AAs because it managed to stay in Matchmaking largely unedited for a longer time. With AAs in Reach Bungie decided to back off of their own idea and 343 continued that. I never thought jet packs or armor lock were broken, but Bungie made sure every map was crushed with soft kill zones after awhile and the first thing 343 did when they took the reigns was nerf armor lock. Other AAs never saw much use, like the dropshield. It's a bit sad because I liked AAs when they were introduced (Although I thought sprint being among them was lame, I still used it a lot), I feel like a bit more thought, effort, and faith in the idea could have made AAs a more welcome addition to the game.

So I wouldn't have any of them back. I enjoyed using the shield drain and bubble shield equipments a lot, but everyone stays one-shot forever in this game and bubble shields wouldn't work for other reasons. The regen field limped back as a weaker AA, and the radar jammer was never that exciting anyway. I liked armor lock even though I didn't use it, and even though I still feel like it was fine and everyone who disagreed was silly, it didn't make the cut and that says enough about it. Evade would have been better with thruster pack range, thruster pack would be better if you stayed in 1st person like you did with evade. Amazing how close Bungie and 343 came to doing something good with those AAs and failed in both cases. Seems like everything that makes thruster pack good was accidental.

Funny I didn't start this post intending to criticize AAs and such, it just kinda ended up that way.

Lol. And I didn't write this post thinking I'd agree with you, but I'm on board sir. Well put.

I think the hardlight sheild is more useful to use, but also less frustrating to play against. You can move while using it to get to a safe area. You have a chance to get away instead of the enemy just waiting you out. It's also less frustrating to play against. It takes skill to use.

Yeah, It really takes skill holding a shield up, pointing at the guy shooting at you. Real skill!

Idiots.

Granted, however I do believe he meant something like "it takes more skill to use than armor lock". Which would be valid.

I am of the mind that armor abilities (with the exception of sprint) should be pick-ups rather than starters.

I liked the abilities as pickups, it also meant that you had to go fight for them instead of everyone just getting them, the degen was a great weapon when used effectively, the days of cammo on the pit are gone now and its just something that we are going to have to get used to I suppose..

The truth seems to be that they have set the direction of the game in the future and to reverse it now is probably never going to happen as all the new players that are used to auto AA will be pissed with that..

• Like 1