Hitting The Proverbial "Skill Wall"

FleshBack

Lately in my matchmaking experience I've been getting frustrated with my playing. I feel as if I hit a "wall" of sorts and I am not seeing any improvement in my playstlyle. I understand that I am not going to be a pro at a video game that has only been out a couple of months, however I feel that there is something I'm missing here that no amount of armor abilities, loadout options, or controller settings can fix.

For instance, I seem to not be able to win a single DMR battle I've been in lately. I was doing decent for a while but now I have hit a downright slump. I don't know if it is the skill of the players I'm facing increasing or if it is just me being an epic fail. I tend to find myself hopping around firing off a whole clip and not hitting anything (particularly if I am on Bumper Jumper) or just getting outsmarted by Quick reacting opponents with grenades and jet packs. That is not the only issue but it illustrates one of my many frustrations with this game as of late.

I've got quite a few games under my belt and I am beginning to think that you must need some natural godsend ability to play this game at a high level. I am beginning to think that practice, at least in this case, does not make perfect. However, I am hoping to be proved wrong by someone here.

I understand there are a fair amount of highly skilled and competitive players on here and I am very interested in your thoughts on the subject. Ranks, experience, and loadouts do not interest me because I understand they are all irrelevant in terms of improving as a player of Halo and a gamer in general. I'm a serious person and a perfectionist at heart, but just can't see myself playing this game at my current skill level. It is unsatisfactory to me and my teammates as well in those gametypes.

I'm quite tired of making the same mistakes in the heat of battle over and over again and the solutions just are not as obvious to me as they may be to some other players (maybe I''m slow or somethin').

I'd really like to know anyone's thoughts on this. Either suggestions, criticisms, personal anecdotes, or if anyone feels that they are in a similar boat, cuz I would like to play with like minded people whom are genuinely interested in breaking past the wall and learning to play at a higher level. If you consider yourself to be a good player, I would like to know how you approach the game or a proper mindset because obviously mine is wrong. I'm a big boy and I can take some criticism too so feel free to lay out whatever you have for me.

• Like 1

Go into practice sessions with players you know are better than you. I do that sometimes when I feel my game is slipping and yes I'll get my butt handed to me it's sometimes exactly what I need to get the blood pumping and my reflexes smoothed out. Also try actually shaking your hands to get the tension out of your fingers. If you ever watch the MLG events either live or on stream, you'll see several of the players do that. Since I've started doing those 2 things it has helped my game markedly.

Yeah, that may help me. I have noticed my aim is extremley jerky in BR/DMR battles. I have been attributing the issue to my sensitivity and have been switching back and forth between 4-7. It could be tension in my hands like you pointed out. Never would have thought if that.

Also, I have no qualms with getting my butt kicked from one end of Ragnarok and back if that is what it takes to improve as a player. It happens regular anyway so it may as well serve a constructive purpose.

Yeah, that may help me. I have noticed my aim is extremley jerky in BR/DMR battles. I have been attributing the issue to my sensitivity and have been switching back and forth between 4-7. It could be tension in my hands like you pointed out. Never would have thought if that.

Also, I have no qualms with getting my butt kicked from one end of Ragnarok and back if that is what it takes to improve as a player. It happens regular anyway so it may as well serve a constructive purpose.

That's a VERY high sensitivity for anything but close-quarters fighting - if you're using a precision weapon like the DMR in your loadouts, I'd highly recommend dropping it down to about 2 or 3. It'll take a little while to get used to, but you should see a marked improvement in accuracy, especially if you're on something as mobile as the bumper jumper setting - while high sensitivity might work for the pros, it's not a good choice for the rest of us when it come to mid-range.

If possible, you should also try playing with friends and microphones, as having people who you can actually talk to and coordinate with generally helps improve play quite a bit.

I have noticed that when i trie to be "good" at the game instead of just playing for fun i do alot worse. When i get mad someone kills me in a unfair way instead of just dont care it does not help my game. Try to relax and just have fun a few games. Get in a worthog alone and see how many laps around the map you can do without getting killed and stuff like that. I did just that on exile the other day in the gauss hog. I managed to place it perfecly on red side and just molested their team with it.

Try to play someone who is a lot better than you. I played GermanSheperdD and he destroyed me. After that I have been doing a lot better. I think it has something to do with focusing on what you're doing or where you are going. Doing 1v1s help train that.

Quit switching your stuff around (controller settings, sensitivity, loadouts) for starters.

It's good to try new things, but you eventually have to settle on something and get used to it, more importantly you have to get good with it. You also need to pick things that work together.

Start from either your controller settings or your loadouts, it doesn't matter which, and then work your way over to the one you didn't pick. Make sure everything works together. Don't take bumper jumper + jet pack, hardlight shield, or probably even thruster pack. If you have an AA that affects your mobility or that you use while looking around, use a controller setting that lets you do that.

Make your decisions with two things in mind: What kind of gametypes/maps you like to play AND How you like to play them.

So if you're a BTB guy your primary weapon is a DMR or lightrifle, no question about it. If you like smaller maps and you still want to use something like the lightrifle, then you need to pick settings that compliment it (Like fishstick).

Make sure everything you have fits together.

THEN play with it. Don't switch your loadouts often and switch your controller settings even less often. I have only about 2 loadouts I use often, the other 3 are situational (One of the 3 is for vehicles, one is for sniping, one is for experimentation).

Next in DMR fights I suggest hopping around a lot less. It can really help, but Reach taught me to just let the other guy get the workout while I shot him. Also bloom forced you to sort of wait to put your final headshot in. If you can't land your shots quickly and accurately, it really doesn't matter how many you avoid. You have to get your killing ability perfect, because surviving is only as good as the damage you do while you're alive.

Try focusing on your own aiming and shots for awhile. Keep in mind that in Reach and Halo 4 people move very slowly, so even a really good strafe is a lot easier to shoot. That's why you need to get good at landing those shots first. Also ask yourself which is more useful to a team? The guy who is hard to hit is only helpful when the enemy is shooting at him, but the guy who can land his shots is useful against any opponent he can see.

Finally, play with your mic in and try to run with a party. You may find that you just don't have the potential to be an exceptional individual killer, but the players I admire most are the ones who can make a team work. I played in a tournament awhile back with members of my clan, I was unquestionably the best individual killer on the team, but I was the weakest link on the team once we went up against anyone but randoms. It was only through the guidance of a better team player that I ended up being useful at all. Some players won't develop the reflexes and coordination to be some kind of god on the battlefield, but if you learn to communicate and work with a team you can become much more valuable. If you're searching alone in a team playlist, STILL keep your mic in and try to stick with other people who do. I played a game awhile back where I was the only one doing callout, but it was a small map and so my callouts ended up being invaluable. A buddy of mine who was playing w/me got his first perfection, I didn't die at all (failed to get the 15 kills), and we won soundly because we always knew where the enemy was.

The best players pick their settings and loadouts and then stick with them. They specialize because trying everything makes you good at everything, but not great at anything. They also work with their teams, play for their teams, and play for the win. I am not one of the best players and I never have been, but I know what they do because they don't keep it a secret. They make videos and write guides and share what they know. They also practice a lot and search for any edge they can get.

• Like 3

I agree with the 2 or 3 sensitivity. I'm not a pro or anything but I get better everyday and have made noticeable improvements in overall accuracy.

I came up short on DMR duels because even though it only took four shots to pop shields, the headshot has to be precise and it eluded me. Now my reaction time (honed with the help of swat) is significantly better.

I've always been a CQC player and will live by this. That's why BS is still something I pack. It gives me a fighting chance besides having to melee. It's just quicker. I know what you said about barring weapons, AA, perks, etcetera but the weapons and what choices you make really DO influence your endgame.

Someone on the forums pointed out how AC is a long distance perk. Makes sense because it negates the radar jam. Things like this are important to think about when coming up with a workable Loadout.

I agree that your loadouts should be situational. I don't agree that you shouldn't thoroughly try combinations of loadouts though. You'd be surprised to learn what works.

For instance when I started I used BR, Magnum, plasma grenade, hologram, mobility and dexterity.

Now I use DMR, Boltshot, frag grenade, PV, mobility and dexterity.

Call it what you will but those are both unique play styles. Making that switch improved my over KD by .15.

Anything helps really. Practice can make perfect. If nothing else then your reaction time.

On BTB maps and Complex I use vehicles. They pack serious firepower can run people over and can be abandoned when near death. A good way to get with teammates and all that.

Don't rush the attack. Make enemies come to you on your terms. Sometimes I'll use pulse grenades to block an enemy's retreat and force them to push the attack where I wait with either shotguns or AR. They fall for it without even thinking you had a plan.

Finally, travel in groups of two or more. You might not get the kill everytime but you're chances of dying first before you DO get kills has just been quartered or in BTB, eighthed.

My KD was >1. Now I'm sitting at 1.16. I don't farm kills or that nonsense. That's just me two months later through trial and error figuring out what best worked for me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't suggest drastically lowering your sensitivity to 2-3 like others are. I tried that n it only frustrated me which effected my game. if anything gradually lower it til you notice an improvement in your game. I've been an 8-10 since halo 2 and found my new comfort zone at 6. I also got a set of stick extensions which I've noticed made a HUGE difference.

I've learned to stop checking my radar constantly thanks to SWAT. you're better off keeping a keen eye for enemies and using your peripherals to follow the motion tracker. cause if an enemy spots you while your checkin your radar, they will open fire. and all it takes is for them to get one shot on you while you're unaware for them to win. unless you've got some godly dancing skills.

I do completely agree with ppl saying find controller settings and loadouts and stick to em. I've been runnin fishstick and have tried bumper jumper, but it's got a negative effect on my game everytime.

I would love to but unfortunately it is one of the more competitive guns out there and getting good with it is probably a good idea. Not unless you have a different gun to suggest? Really I'm open to ideas. 2 sensitivity has definitely helped. I will probably stick with it until I am comfortable enough to go to 3.

This is the kind of thread that I love and sadly there arent enough like it. Good on all of you. Helping each other and being a community. I have been mostly disappointed by the Halo community since the release of 4 and you all gave me hope. Thanks you all. Good advice all around.

:respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

Your biggest problem is that you probably try to hard and think about things too much, personally my best Halo is when i am in zombie mode after a night shift lol, I just play away not worrying and some how things just happen, other times I am really trying and things do not work.

Unlike previous versions of the game and many other games there is not a lot of room for improvement in this game that I can see (at least not when you are at a decent lvl), in H3 or CoD you naturally get better as you play but here not so much.

Playstyles mean more than skill, hanging back rather than running in and running away when you might lose are rewarded in this game more than any other. It might not be natural instinct (was not for me after playing H3 where it was go kill or be killed) but you have to adjust. Do not stray out on your own as if they come for you there is a chance that one of your team may help meaning you have more chance of winning the gun fight.

Also aim for centre mass for the initial shots of a gun fight as the first 4 so the same damage head or body only the 5th shot landed has to be in the head. Do not be afraid to just go mad for a few rounds and try different things you will soon find some that work and will help.

• Like 1

I had this happen when I started playing Halo 2 on XBC. For about two months straight I couldn't out BR people to save my life no matter how hard I tried. I just kept working at it over and over and somehow I got through it and broke through my "wall". I just picked up little hints and tips from other players. One thing I could recommend to help with 1v1 fights is to do warm ups before you get on MM. If you have a person to play with then find a map variant to download and just do 1v1 DMR/BR fights to get your trigger finger warmed up and practice your strafing. Also one more thing, when I couldn't get kills with the DMR in this game I switched to the Carbine. With it's power not comparing to the DMR I had to be a lot more accurate with my shots to ensure I could compete with other players using the DMR. Then once I switched back to the DMR I was a lot more accurate with it. Same goes for the BR.

Stop using DMR and you will learn to aim.

You know, you seem to be a pretty vocal opponent of the DMR. I can respect that as I understand that in a game where bullet magnetism and aim assist are ubiquitous, it can be tough to develop true skill when the game is giving you guns with training wheels as a loadout weapon.

I would like to know some of your insights as a BR user. How do you use your BR so effectively in a game running rampant with DMRs on 2 sensitivity? What tactics do you use to outgun or outsmart other players with a gun that provides such a huge advantage to even the worst Halo players?

As I said I'm interested with any advice even if it doesn't conform with the norm.

You know, you seem to be a pretty vocal opponent of the DMR. I can respect that as I understand that in a game where bullet magnetism and aim assist are ubiquitous, it can be tough to develop true skill when the game is giving you guns with training wheels as a loadout weapon.

I would like to know some of your insights as a BR user. How do you use your BR so effectively in a game running rampant with DMRs on 2 sensitivity? What tactics do you use to outgun or outsmart other players with a gun that provides such a huge advantage to even the worst Halo players?

As I said I'm interested with any advice even if it doesn't conform with the norm.

Quick strafing, jump shooting, and getting in close to where the low sensitivity hinders them because they can't track you quick enough. At long ranges the BR is ineffective against the DMR so trying to use it for that reason is plain stupidity. Don't walk out in the open when you know people with DMRs will be waiting for you. So stick to close quarters and cover where the BR's burst is able to out pay the DMR.

Quick strafing, jump shooting, and getting in close to where the low sensitivity hinders them because they can't track you quick enough. At long ranges the BR is ineffective against the DMR so trying to use it for that reason is plain stupidity. Don't walk out in the open when you know people with DMRs will be waiting for you. So stick to close quarters and cover where the BR's burst is able to out pay the DMR.

I agree with everything above. I use the Carbine more than any other starting weapon, auto sentry and sticking close to teammates makes it much easier to deal with DMR. On large maps its LightRifle all day. When I do use a Battle Rifle I avoid cross map shooting and use mobility to force opponents into mid range battles.

One of the biggest problems most people make with the DMR and BR is they attempt to the fire the weapon as fast as possible expect that if I fire faster I should win. I am not saying pace your shots like in Reach, but don't just go balls out every time a only think about pulling the trigger as fast as the gun will fire, take that extra split second and make sure you're on target.

I took a HUGE jump once I started paying better players when I changed this. The delay I am talking about is only milliseconds but if you try playing a 1 vs 1 and worry about firing faster over landing every shot, you will lose more and more. This goes for all rifles in the game.

Also, different engagements do allow for you to just rip 2-3 shots off as fast as possible if the person is jumping towards or away from you as this prohibits an lateral movement.

One of my biggest bad habits came from Halo 3 with all the jumping around with bumper jumper, I find staying grounded and worrying about a strafe that fits your firing patterns is better then jumping at all.

One of the biggest problems most people make with the DMR and BR is they attempt to the fire the weapon as fast as possible expect that if I fire faster I should win. I am not saying pace your shots like in Reach, but don't just go balls out every time a only think about pulling the trigger as fast as the gun will fire, take that extra split second and make sure you're on target.

I took a HUGE jump once I started paying better players when I changed this. The delay I am talking about is only milliseconds but if you try playing a 1 vs 1 and worry about firing faster over landing every shot, you will lose more and more. This goes for all rifles in the game.

Also, different engagements do allow for you to just rip 2-3 shots off as fast as possible if the person is jumping towards or away from you as this prohibits an lateral movement.

One of my biggest bad habits came from Halo 3 with all the jumping around with bumper jumper, I find staying grounded and worrying about a strafe that fits your firing patterns is better then jumping at all.

I agree. After playing with you and trying new tactics and following a little advice, I improved my KD by .06. I know that's not a lot to some people but I'm still climbing. Great advice.

That's a VERY high sensitivity for anything but close-quarters fighting - if you're using a precision weapon like the DMR in your loadouts, I'd highly recommend dropping it down to about 2 or 3. It'll take a little while to get used to, but you should see a marked improvement in accuracy, especially if you're on something as mobile as the bumper jumper setting - while high sensitivity might work for the pros, it's not a good choice for the rest of us when it come to mid-range.

If possible, you should also try playing with friends and microphones, as having people who you can actually talk to and coordinate with generally helps improve play quite a bit.

All pros use betwen 2 and 5.

The beautiful thing about Halo is that there has never been a true skill cap. There's always room for improvement in many aspects of the game.

I've been playing since Halo 2 and I played competitively in Halo 3. I kind of skipped Reach because, in my opinion, it was a bad Halo game. But I digress.

You can use the same techniques I used and many others used in previous Halo titles to get better. Some techniques yield better results than others but the top two I would recommend are playing against players that are much better than you and practicing one play style or strategy or whatever it is you would like to practice over and over and over again.

The biggest thing that helped me in Halo 2 / 3 was playing with others that were way better than me. As long as your mechanics aren't awful, you will eventually pick up on the techniques and catch up to speed with the players you're playing with. This first suggestion works on your abilities and focus within your mind. Your brain will subconsciously adapt to the adjustments necessary to compete against the players who would normally beat you. This could take months but with enough dedicated time you'll eventually find yourself at the same level with the people you're playing against.

The second suggestion is to help you on your mechanics. This is the part of Halo that the skill cap is nearly infinite. Practice grenade placement. Practice subconsciously surveying every detail on the radar. Be aware of potential enemy positioning at any second of the match. Be aware of the lines of sight you are exposed to, and be aware of the routes your opponents will likely take to the center of attention. Practice subconsciously strafing / jumping in gunfights. Practice your aim. Make the CONSCIOUS decision MID FIGHT to let your DMR breath in between shots -- ESPECIALLY after taking two or more shots. All of these things add up to getting the edge over your opponent.

Practice DOES make perfect. It's all about baby steps.

Edit: The suggestions I made are proven to work in my own experience even up to a professional level. In Halo 3 matchmaking, I had a legitimate 50 in TS, a legitimate 45 in MLG, etc. I played professionals on many occasions and also competed in GB / MLG placement matches at high level play. If you'd truly like to get better, I highly suggest taking into account my suggestions above. I'm not kidding you, they do work.

• Like 1