Automatic weapons died out?

Xoxex

Let me just take a second to propose a toast to Halo 4. Best game of my year.

Ok on to text barrier.

I can't see where I would choose an automatic weapon anymore. They outright lose to the semi-automatic rifles in every situation. I would understand if I got killed from mid to long range because I am expected to, but you don't even win the close range engagements and if you do it's just barely. However, when you face anyone from mid to long range you get killed with them barely taking damage due to the guns natural lack of accuracy. I had high hopes for the assault rifles this time around because I heard from some people it was better. I have not seen this at all. If anything they are in a worse place then they ever have been. I shouldn't even say semi automatic rifles I may as well say the DMR because if it was the title of the game it would have made more sense to me.

I like variety. The lack of seeing automatic weapons being used just saddens me because I honestly am trying to find a reason and they just fail at being useful for anything. It was hard to peel myself away from the norm of DMR or die and for the work you put out you get no benefit. If they at least did a ton of damage to make up for the lack of range that would be great. They don't even do that. It's horrible walking around with an automatic weapon knowing that you are giving yourself a massive disadvantage.

I doubt that they would receive any sort of buff but they need one.

I have not seen a single one other automatic weapon being used by anyone other than myself recently. Once you break away early ranks you never see it anymore. I always keep an assault rifle on hand and I have also used the storm rifle and suppressor. I like them all but they all fail when faced with the semi automatic rifles.

Automatic weapons are dying because close quarters combat is dying. You can thank the OPness of the DMR of people getting sniped anywhere on the map, the campiness of the Boltshot allowing kids to one hit kill, and promethean vision for never allowing you to get close to someone. Precision weapons still handle the automatic weapons at anything greater than about 3 times melee distance too. I've mastered the AR and will never touch it again. Not worth it. It takes way too much patience to get close enough to someone to be able to kill them.

Well I finally found someone in a game using it. I assume he swapped to it because I kept killing him with it. After using it more I am still going to keep using it but it still has the same issues as before. I should not be leaving a fight about to die if I am in a close range battle with a DMR user.

The AR like any other Automatic weapon is just a different way to apply death to enemies. I prefer it because of play style. I'm not looking for the best gun just the one I like. Still I feel I should be coming out of close range gunfights with a small advantage and not bleeding to death after facing a rifle. I personally do not like it when a close range weapon is matched or beaten at its one and only job.

• 2 weeks later...

ARs are awesome for close encounters. The AR in Halo 4 feels better than any previous rendition. Try using FirePower with it and a mid to long range weapon or by itself in any Regicide playlist. It does wonders when you are the king, especially if you get to Reign of Terror and recieve a damage boost. I beat DMRs and BRs all the time, maybe you just need more practice or need to melee more often.

Automatics are pretty bad, but to be fair they have always been bad. I may hate on 343 + Halo 4 for a lot of things, but automatics not being very good is something Bungie preferred as well. I don't really agree with their preference, but it has been a long-lived trend of Halo: Automatics are bad.

The biggest problem you get into with automatics in Halo 4 is that you basically need the dexterity perk to keep the fire on your opponents. You can TECHNICALLY kill two people with one clip, but that's almost never true in practice. There's no slack in the clips at all (Which is stupid, original Halo AR had 60 rounds, but they nerfed it in Halo 3 for stupid reasons and have kept the nerf for stupid reasons) so you're either perfect or you need to reload a lot. The storm rifle is a bit different, rather than a reload you need a break, which can be better or worse depending on the situation.

What you end up with are weapons which require you to work your *** off to make them do their jobs, meanwhile everyone else picks the obviously superior marksman rifles. You can make an automatic do some good work, but generally you're better off with a precision weapon and the difference shows.

I take a bit of guilty pleasure in getting the automatic weapon challenges though, because once you get over the initial awfulness of the automatics you end up having to adopt a very aggressive playstyle which CAN take people by surprise. Generally you still won't go as positive as you might with a marksman rifle (Definitely not perfection material), but since you're playing things differently you can occasionally come out on top because you were the one guy prepared for the fight you brought.

So you are saying the Assault Rifle is unskillful?

It's okay if you're using firepower and have an AR secondary with a dmr br primary (which is also kind of pointless since boltshot is way better than AR at close range) but other than that yeah it's pointless. What skill does an AR take?

It's okay if you're using firepower and have an AR secondary with a dmr br primary (which is also kind of pointless since boltshot is way better than AR at close range) but other than that yeah it's pointless. What skill does an AR take?

Was just wondering if that was what you were saying. I completely disagree but whatever.