close quarters DMR help

wofulbeast85

I have been having some trouble close quarters with the DMR and it’s affecting my play and my playlist selection. For the most part lately I have been playing big team with a k/d spread on average of 1.6/1. The problem is when I play team slayer my k/d falls to ratio falls to 1/1. I also have the same problem on some maps on big team but avoid close combat at all cost. I feel confident I can out DMR most at range but when I get bum rushed it's a different story. Any suggestions or helpful tips would be great.

Thank You

There's so many different ways you can kill people in Halo, that's what makes it so fun =P

I find you can get good with the DMR at close range, but it takes a lot of patience, practice, and precision. It's extremely difficult to be consistent at close range. All you need is 3 shots and you can beat the guy down. Or, on smaller maps you can experiment with a BR start.

However, I don't recommend the firepower (extra starting weapon) perk. It's not worth taking up a precious perk slot when there are always weapons laying on the map from dead teammates mostly. Start with a DMR, and pick up a close-mid range weapon from a fallen teammate or enemy if you need to.

Save that perk slot for something else, I suggest using the increase ammo capacity, especially for BTB. The perks that allow you to pick up grenades from others who've died and the increased ammo supply are the best in the game.

I feel like I'm gonna get flamed for saying this but if the pot is black...

Boltshot. As stated above why waste your precious perk slots on firepower when you can pick up another weapon? Boltshot takes that a step further though and gives you some CQC right of the bat. Better than anything you start with really.

And if that doesn't fit your play style? Cool. You could always keep it handy until you pick up an AR or ordinance shotguns, whatever you like.

I like you was primarily a CQC kind of guy. That's where I excelled. Halo 4 really made that a hell of a lot tougher in this game. Damn near impossible to melee regularly. Unless its from behind and you get the drop on them. Just doesn't happen like it used to...

something I forgot to mention about firepower: take dexterity with it, those 2 feel tailor made for eachother. then you can easily jump between short to mid range weapons and mid to long range. just be aware of the initial equip animation when switching to your second primary

I use the noob combo. I take out a lot of skilled players with it, it homes in as well, as long as you aimed at them correctly...it is not fail safe though as you can't aim it away from them expecting it to curve ball and still hit them..it works to a extent

What I find to work for me, is to crouch after 1 or 2 shots and either strafe shoot from there to head shot them, or jump to the side and aim headshots.

why this has worked for me so far...

and again keep in mind..if you ever recieve the hit first...and you aren't even FACING them..don't turn around and try to fight...because unless they are insanely terrible shots, you will deffinitely lose the fight...so if that happens, run and hide, recover shield, and try to first shot them or at least both be facing each other..but you probably already know that...

so back to the crouch or jump...if you both are facing each other, strafe shotting and pretty much taking shot for shot, the expectation to aim lower, is not there. so after 1 or 2 shots I crouch, hit their chest area while their shot missed me, pop back up and finish them off. The idea is to get them to miss you while you up them in shots. it's hard at first, I use hold to crouch because crouch toggle for me is difficult in heated battles I'd rather just let go to stand...I crouch to up them in shots followed by a side jump sometimes because in some cases if you just stand right after you are gauranteed to get hit and if your shields up and you are up shots it's fine but if you're 1 shot you gotta move away if you can because they might headshot you.

this also works very well when you are waiting for the enemy to strafe a corner. some players leave their aim in the headshot area to begin with, so you being crouched allows you to get up a shot or 2. Jumping helps as well but the air gliding slow fall back down makes you a sitting target unless the other guys sensitivity is like mad low.

I'm not that good at the game, but I've been trying to get better and so far, this has helped me. you gotta play around and see what works because high instense CQC battles are fought differently.

I'm an average player, some skilled players use this method also and are incredibly hard to hit, and since their aim is so much more polished than mines are sometimes unstoppable in 1v1. my aim sucks when taking shots, and I don't want to use stability, so I'm trying to get better without it.

AR, BR, good safe routes as well....I've been on the opposing end of those, mainly AR...and I feel like wtf are these guys spawning with a SAW? lol

but since you asked for DMR help, I give that advice and hope it works for you. If you're in incredibly close range, its obviously better to switch weapons, or just melee it out if you're that close. always jump up when the enemey rushes a corner to melee you, because you end up with the first melee hit landing and finish them off easily after.

another note, is I read the BR melee is actually stronger than the DMR melee. I never tested it, but it's in the halo4 strategy book in weapons section. so it's possible to get fewer shots and finish with a melee with BR than DMR in close quarters combat.

• Like 1

I will echo the above statements and recommend a boltshot. I also recommend avoiding melee as often as possible. Avoid it until you have no choice. Even if you drop the guy with melee you're going to finish the fight one-shot, and in Halo 4 there's always someone coming up behind the last guy you killed. The only time you should go for melee is if you have a massive advantage (Sword, Shotgun, Damage Boost, Overshield, etc.) or if you're in a fight you know you can't survive anyway.

Try Promethean Vision so you don't get surprised, Thruster Pack to boost away from your enemies right when they think they have you (Or to jump, boost behind them, and assassinate), Hardlight Shield to take the hit right on (You can activate it, take their melee, and then deactivate and return with your melee very quickly), Mobility to keep yourself ahead of your enemy, Jet Pack to boost way above their head and giggle, and any other options that help you avoid melee.

• Like 1

hmm also to add i think as crimson dlc was big maps 1 of the 2 maps packs left my be close qautered maps good i like big but small is a nice breath of fresh air just watch out 4 boltshot noobs

I never have any clue what you're saying on any post on any thread. It's painful to try and interpret your thoughts. So this is me not doing it anymore.

I use the noob combo. I take out a lot of skilled players with it, it homes in as well, as long as you aimed at them correctly...it is not fail safe though as you can't aim it away from them expecting it to curve ball and still hit them..it works to a extent

What I find to work for me, is to crouch after 1 or 2 shots and either strafe shoot from there to head shot them, or jump to the side and aim headshots.

why this has worked for me so far...

and again keep in mind..if you ever recieve the hit first...and you aren't even FACING them..don't turn around and try to fight...because unless they are insanely terrible shots, you will deffinitely lose the fight...so if that happens, run and hide, recover shield, and try to first shot them or at least both be facing each other..but you probably already know that...

so back to the crouch or jump...if you both are facing each other, strafe shotting and pretty much taking shot for shot, the expectation to aim lower, is not there. so after 1 or 2 shots I crouch, hit their chest area while their shot missed me, pop back up and finish them off. The idea is to get them to miss you while you up them in shots. it's hard at first, I use hold to crouch because crouch toggle for me is difficult in heated battles I'd rather just let go to stand...I crouch to up them in shots followed by a side jump sometimes because in some cases if you just stand right after you are gauranteed to get hit and if your shields up and you are up shots it's fine but if you're 1 shot you gotta move away if you can because they might headshot you.

this also works very well when you are waiting for the enemy to strafe a corner. some players leave their aim in the headshot area to begin with, so you being crouched allows you to get up a shot or 2. Jumping helps as well but the air gliding slow fall back down makes you a sitting target unless the other guys sensitivity is like mad low.

I'm not that good at the game, but I've been trying to get better and so far, this has helped me. you gotta play around and see what works because high instense CQC battles are fought differently.

I'm an average player, some skilled players use this method also and are incredibly hard to hit, and since their aim is so much more polished than mines are sometimes unstoppable in 1v1. my aim sucks when taking shots, and I don't want to use stability, so I'm trying to get better without it.

AR, BR, good safe routes as well....I've been on the opposing end of those, mainly AR...and I feel like wtf are these guys spawning with a SAW? lol

but since you asked for DMR help, I give that advice and hope it works for you. If you're in incredibly close range, its obviously better to switch weapons, or just melee it out if you're that close. always jump up when the enemey rushes a corner to melee you, because you end up with the first melee hit landing and finish them off easily after.

another note, is I read the BR melee is actually stronger than the DMR melee. I never tested it, but it's in the halo4 strategy book in weapons section. so it's possible to get fewer shots and finish with a melee with BR than DMR in close quarters combat.

I always wondered what people were doing when they would crouch and fire during a gunfight. It makes you far less mobile and unable to take cover correctly. I work noobs that do this. Maybe I didn't understand correctly but... From what it sounds like you said and what I've seen already... The advantage will go to the player who can maneuver the battlefield while maintaining fire superiority. Sprinting removes the superiority. Crouching removes the menueverability. Simply walking and thinking gives you the mix of both you'll need to succeed. Not talking trash about anyone's advice but... I dunno about this one.

I always wondered what people were doing when they would crouch and fire during a gunfight. It makes you far less mobile and unable to take cover correctly. I work noobs that do this. Maybe I didn't understand correctly but... From what it sounds like you said and what I've seen already... The advantage will go to the player who can maneuver the battlefield while maintaining fire superiority. Sprinting removes the superiority. Crouching removes the menueverability. Simply walking and thinking gives you the mix of both you'll need to succeed. Not talking trash about anyone's advice but... I dunno about this one.

The biggest thing to a strafe is making sure you're unpredictable, sometimes a quick crouch (very quick) can save you 1 bullet. I never incorporated crouching into my strafe just because I never developed much of a strafe in the first place, but a lot of moving in combat is about getting a tiny edge. Usually you're preparing to fight players of roughly equal skill, so you expect the fight to be over in 5 shots no matter who wins. After that you're working to shave off 1 of their hits or just a tenth of a second off their kill time. Improving past a certain point isn't done in big steps, it's done in a bunch of tiny ones, mastered each one at a time.

I'm not endorsing crouching in a fight either, just noting how it's not completely worthless. Especially after Reach people don't have a lot of vertical adjustment in their strafes. In Reach they dropped the jump height and introduced AAs, which made the previously very-popular bumper jumper settings suddenly optional. People also didn't strafe as well due to slower movement speed, so greater emphasis went to landing your shots first.

The biggest thing to a strafe is making sure you're unpredictable, sometimes a quick crouch (very quick) can save you 1 bullet. I never incorporated crouching into my strafe just because I never developed much of a strafe in the first place, but a lot of moving in combat is about getting a tiny edge. Usually you're preparing to fight players of roughly equal skill, so you expect the fight to be over in 5 shots no matter who wins. After that you're working to shave off 1 of their hits or just a tenth of a second off their kill time. Improving past a certain point isn't done in big steps, it's done in a bunch of tiny ones, mastered each one at a time.

I'm not endorsing crouching in a fight either, just noting how it's not completely worthless. Especially after Reach people don't have a lot of vertical adjustment in their strafes. In Reach they dropped the jump height and introduced AAs, which made the previously very-popular bumper jumper settings suddenly optional. People also didn't strafe as well due to slower movement speed, so greater emphasis went to landing your shots first.

I agree.

I think a crouch has its place when you want to disappear from radar or lay a trap. its used as a defensive strategy. Not an offensive menuever. So I don't think during an actual duel. I've seen the Ghandi Jumping and the Crouch Walk when fighting but to be honest I've never seen it perfected. Wild antics will get you killed. That's just my opinion though. Just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I have been having some trouble close quarters with the DMR and it’s affecting my play and my playlist selection. For the most part lately I have been playing big team with a k/d spread on average of 1.6/1. The problem is when I play team slayer my k/d falls to ratio falls to 1/1. I also have the same problem on some maps on big team but avoid close combat at all cost. I feel confident I can out DMR most at range but when I get bum rushed it's a different story. Any suggestions or helpful tips would be great.

Thank You

The DMR is not supposed to be a CQC weapon, unfortunatley it' high bullet magnetism and autoaim makes it easy to use at all ranges.

The DMR is not supposed to be a CQC weapon, unfortunatley it' high bullet magnetism and autoaim makes it easy to use at all ranges.

This is just your opinion which clearly doesn't apply to the OP if he made a thread asking for help. If your opinion were truly relevant to this discussion he wouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. Didn't mean to come off rude. Just looking for relevant advice to the thread.

A better reply would be one like stated above.

About melee damage from BR vs DMR. Or how many bullets it takes to soften the target enough for a killing melee strike. Or items of that nature.

I'm not entirely sure of any of that information I was just saying that that would be the appropriate response to the conversation.

This is just your opinion which clearly doesn't apply to the OP if he made a thread asking for help. If your opinion were truly relevant to this discussion he wouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. Didn't mean to come off rude. Just looking for relevant advice to the thread.

About melee damage from BR vs DMR. Or how many bullets it takes to soften the target enough for a killing melee strike. Or items of that nature.

I'm not entirely sure of any of that information I was just saying that that would be the appropriate response to the conversation.

Not entirely sure but i think its 2 dmr shots then beatdown and 3 br shots and beatdown.

Actually the DMR is described as a medium to long range weapon by 343i, making my first statement a fact.

If you have played more than a hundred matches you would also agree that my point about it being a dominating weapon at all ranges is valid as well.

Lastly, if you are losing CQC encounters often my advice is to either use the Thruster pack or use firepower and pack a Suppresor.