Combine the best of Halo Reach and Halo 4 = perfect game

wookieeassassin

So I went back and played some Reach today and noticed some things that I liked that are not present in Halo 4.

1) Armor customization options. Almost all of the armor customization options in Reach look great. Halo 4 armor customization just looks like the same piece but with the edges being either more round or sharper.

2) playing as Elites. Playing as elites was awesome

3) Invasion game mode. Easily the best game mode in Reach. I loved the pseudo-classes and the asymmetrical teams

4) Evade armor ability. Thruster pack is similar but not anywhere near as good IMO.

5) Armor lock. Ok, ok, don't jump down my throat just yet... but here is the thing.. even though armor lock was overpowered and annoying it served its intended purpose. I feel like the hardlight shield works great sometimes but other times it feels really unreliable against explosives.

6) UNSC flying vehicles. the falcon wasnt anything extraordinary.. just a transport helicopter with chainguns.. but it was still fun to fly in multiplayer. the Hornet from halo 3 was also fun.

7) Enemy AI. I was playing firefight on legendary and an Elite would straight up own you by himself if you just ran straight at him. In halo 4 in spartan ops an elite will just be like "rawwr!!" and throw a grenade at you 5 miles per hour while you shoot the crap out of him.

8) evasive manuevers in the banshee are waaaaay better.

9) you don't have to aim the wraith reticle halfway up the screen just to hit something 20 feet in front of you with the plasma mortar

Things I really like from Halo 4:

1) Excessive bloom is gone.

2) Everyone can sprint now. It speeds the gameplay up IMO.

3) Damage bleeding through shields is back!

4) Maps, dear lord the maps. The only maps I dont love are abandon and longbow, and I only think they are not great because 4v4 on abandon has everyone camping the main lift and 8v8 everyone camps the center base on longbow. For any other gametype (dominion for example) they are great too. Halo Reach's maps were pretty awful.. some of them were OK, but most of them were mediocre at best. What made them worse is that many of them were areas that were reused in the campaign, making them feel less special. Pretty much all of the forge world maps were terrible... just a bunch of gray blocks on a grassy field

5) The weapons for the most part seem more balanced. The beam rifle is back. All the weapon models look great in my opinion. There are cool new weapons that have been added like the railgun (a power skillful one hit kill power weapon than the rocket launcher)

One thing from Halo 3 I would like to see come back is the Elephant in big team. Having some sort of mobile CTF like Battlefield 2142 had would be pretty cool IMO.

Does anybody else think if the best of Reach and Halo 4 were combined (and a couple things from Halo 3) then the resulting game would just about be perfect? Are any of the things I mentioned planning on being added in the January update?

So I went back and played some Reach today and noticed some things that I liked that are not present in Halo 4.

1) Armor customization options. Almost all of the armor customization options in Reach look great. Halo 4 armor customization just looks like the same piece but with the edges being either more round or sharper.

2) playing as Elites. Playing as elites was awesome

3) Invasion game mode. Easily the best game mode in Reach. I loved the pseudo-classes and the asymmetrical teams

4) Evade armor ability. Thruster pack is similar but not anywhere near as good IMO.

5) Armor lock. Ok, ok, don't jump down my throat just yet... but here is the thing.. even though armor lock was overpowered and annoying it served its intended purpose. I feel like the hardlight shield works great sometimes but other times it feels really unreliable against explosives.

6) UNSC flying vehicles. the falcon wasnt anything extraordinary.. just a transport helicopter with chainguns.. but it was still fun to fly in multiplayer. the Hornet from halo 3 was also fun.

7) Enemy AI. I was playing firefight on legendary and an Elite would straight up own you by himself if you just ran straight at him. In halo 4 in spartan ops an elite will just be like "rawwr!!" and throw a grenade at you 5 miles per hour while you shoot the crap out of him.

8) evasive manuevers in the banshee are waaaaay better.

9) you don't have to aim the wraith reticle halfway up the screen just to hit something 20 feet in front of you with the plasma mortar

Things I really like from Halo 4:

1) Excessive bloom is gone.

2) Everyone can sprint now. It speeds the gameplay up IMO.

3) Damage bleeding through shields is back!

4) Maps, dear lord the maps. The only maps I dont love are abandon and longbow, and I only think they are not great because 4v4 on abandon has everyone camping the main lift and 8v8 everyone camps the center base on longbow. For any other gametype (dominion for example) they are great too. Halo Reach's maps were pretty awful.. some of them were OK, but most of them were mediocre at best. What made them worse is that many of them were areas that were reused in the campaign, making them feel less special. Pretty much all of the forge world maps were terrible... just a bunch of gray blocks on a grassy field

5) The weapons for the most part seem more balanced. The beam rifle is back. All the weapon models look great in my opinion. There are cool new weapons that have been added like the railgun (a power skillful one hit kill power weapon than the rocket launcher)

One thing from Halo 3 I would like to see come back is the Elephant in big team. Having some sort of mobile CTF like Battlefield 2142 had would be pretty cool IMO.

Does anybody else think if the best of Reach and Halo 4 were combined (and a couple things from Halo 3) then the resulting game would just about be perfect? Are any of the things I mentioned planning on being added in the January update?

I agree completely! Loved the armor in reach. It all looked unique. Halo 4 just seems kinda... Eh... I'm not really a fan of any of it. SR77 now and I'm still not impressed.

Like all those armor mod ideas too. Armor Lock was fine. Bunch of complainers that didn't know how to fight against it is all. I never had a problem using it or fighting it. Deal.

I liked swordbase and countdown. Those weren't bad I didn't think. A swordbase remake on Halo 4 would be cool. Maybe like a run down decrepit aging swordbase? And ivory tower is still awesome.

Reach did have some good ideas. Some of the last bungie ever had. But Halo 4 is good too. If you get a hornet give it rockets. Lol. The elephant was just goofy and awkward. But why not?

Firefight was better than spartan ops. The reused maps over and over and over really made it suck. How many times do I have to revisit the same place?

yes armor a thousand times yes. I HATE the armor in Halo 4. I like a tank-ish looking spartan: the left side, the side facing the opposition when holding a gun, is covered in armor. I used Jorge's chest piece, I think it was Scout shoulder (that great big thing with the white arrow on it) the armor cuff and the extra plate on the leg. The right was something small that looked like it allowed free movement.

I loved that. So much. The armor options were vast and varied. In Halo 4 the options are vast and only the helmets are varied. But even those are still unattractive.

The armor abilities I used in Reach were in this order from most to least (sprint redacted, but it'd be a rather close second)

evade

active camo

armor lock

bubble shield

jetpack

hologram (this one never once saw use by me)

What I use in Halo 4:

active camo

promethean vision

jetpack

(no others see service)

I'd love to see an en masse return.

As to maps, I loved Reach's maps with very, very few exceptions.

In Halo 4, I like Adrift, Exile, and Longbow with an honorable mention for Haven and Complex. The others can go away, especially Abandon and to a lesser degree Solace.

I cannae wait for remake map packs, or plain old good map packs, but as it sits I only willingly play a handful of maps, and it's killing my desire to keep playing.

In short; hear hear! A combination of Reach and Halo 4 would be a perfect halo MP experience to my eye, and I have played each. and every. installment so far.

The crossovers I'd like to see:

Reach-esque customisation

Spartan Ops wins

Reach-esque jetpack, thruster pack becoming evade or performing like in flood

always-there sprint is incredible

the loadouts also win

Reach-esque deaths (bye-bye, kill cam!!)

I'd like to see some old sound files return too...warthog and ghost come to mind first; one's muffler fell off and the other needs a new alternator, especially when boosting.

Reach banshee, in every regard

Honestly, I would probably just be happier with reach with all of these lovely quality of life improvements Halo 4 brought in. This saddens me because until now, I have never felt that way about a game.

Swordbase alone made me stop playing Reach. If Bungie would have added a forge only playlist, I still would be playing Reach. I don't particulaly like the armor abilities, but if in, I prefer abilities with some substance, like those of Reach. Perhaps I should boot it up and check out pops. If higher or similar count as Halo4 I might just go back to that game instead.