Lets talk dedicated servers...

DN2012

Halo 4 Multiplayer  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have lag problems

• Yes, i do
    • No, i don't

Lets talk multiplayer, extreamly laggy and glitchy.

There are so many problems with multiplayer and it is not getting fixed. This included things like lag, hackers, and so many stupid glitches.

* There are so many glitches that arnt be fixed: falling through walls, instakills, random deaths, you name it they are not being fixed.

*I have see so many accounts of hacking and no ones stopping it.

* LAG, one of the most things I have ever seen in my history of gaming. Plus, whenever someone leaves a game i get stuck on a screen for about 4 mins and all it says is starting game and it never fixes, for me it commonly just crashed. But this game needs dedicated servers to reduce the lag, or hopefully stop it. Currently if your in a game and if a player is laggy, you cant even play effectively. Less popular games got these servers, how came halo 4 doesnt have it, It needs it the most. 343i add these servers.

• Like 1

I rarely have lag problems. But it would still be nice to have dedicated servers or even better, custom playlists where you make up a list of possible maps and gametypes, and set their priority to decide how common each gametype or map is, so necessarily it's like a dedicated server with many games going on at once.

The problems with dedicated servers that I see (In my very limited understanding of this technology) are:

1. As soon as the company stops running them, there is no more multiplayer for that game. Right now you can still go back and play Halo 3. I played Battlefield 3 and one of the first things EA did was stop running servers and start renting them out because they're scum.

2. The game isn't designed to run on them, thus it probably wouldn't be something they could do outside of a large update.

3. Even with a rent-a-server system, someone has to run that server and pay for it etc. Once again you make the life of the game more fragile.

4. WITH a rent-a-server system, you put the power in the hands of the people, and we know from lots of historical evidence (and from anyone who has spent two minutes on Xbox Live) that the "people" are friggen morons and have no capacity for restraint or remotely civilized behavior. People get on the internet and go nuts letting out all their weird issues. Give them the power of server admin and you have a lot of nightmares ahead.

The benefits are more loudly mentioned, I DO know that there is much less lag. I played BF3 mostly this year and I think I had lag on one or two occasions MAX. It was effing incredible. I would be comfortable with a system that was capable of both server support and peer2peer hosting as a fallback, because with a good connection you can have a good game.

Obviously lag is always an issue, no one is every one-hundred percent lag-free all of the time.

That being said, I haven't had many issues with lag. The framerate drops sometimes when I'm playing splitscreen, but I've played about 150 matches and I've seldom run into a case of prolonged, game-breaking lag.

Maybe I'm a lucky one though...

I'll agree with you on saying that this halo is the spottiest one when it comes to connection for me. I played reach and 3 perfectly fine in the past with the ocassional "host leaving" screen from time to time but the terrible delay in campaign co-op and spartan ops is just agonizing.... It was a problem in reach's firefight but it wasn't as bad as it is 4....

Dedicated servers is more than just servers. It's a complete overhaul of game code and its an server infrastructure that has to be in place on a global backbone scale. Very different from just having games set up and catch results from host as things are over. WAAY different things.

Me myself, I prefer p2p, since it gives better performance overall given ONE condition; there's plenty of players around. The game won't change, so I suggest you folks start to figure out how we bring the casuals into matchmaking, because this is the real issue. I suggest less MLG-like gameplay (carbine fragfests). Force starting and respawn weaponary to AR/Pistols and much is done imo.