Can a Developer Please Explain the rationale behind this ?

avon

Why do i get put into a game that is already underway? I am constantly thrust into a match that is usually 20-30% over with and thrown onto a losing team. I have a masters degree in software engineering so I know a fair amount about game development and this is an absolutely horrible game decision from an end user perspective. Why are you punishing users for other people quitting? I get thrown onto a losing team, where I am usually outnumbered, the opposing team has all vehicles & power weapons already and are usually already in control of all the critical points on the map. So basically everytime I want to play Halo I have to enter a game where the odds are completely stacked against me because someone else quit? Was this really the best system you could come up with? Why not penalize quitters instead? I am very curious to hear what the rationale is for this. I could see if the game was 3 years old an it sped up the matchmaking process, but currently there should be no shortage of games to be played, so why am I being punished for other users quitting?

I would love to hear the Pros...

Less time having to find players to start a match

Experience points for completing a match that you only partially participated in

Going into a game with balanced teams

Less time waiting for everyone to vote on a map, load said map, and establish a connection to start the match.

Not saying I like "join in", but those would be some obvious pros.

• Like 2

i mean think about this. in halo 3 if somebody left your team, you were toast. you were stuck playing a match at 3v4. it was brutal. Think about it from the other perspective of guys who have lost a player. They dont want to play a match 3v4 i know i dont want to. if i get thrust into a game thats already underawy i make the best of it. i try and turn the game around. U make it sound like every match you go for is one already in progress. try staying in the lobby after you play a game. boom problem solved. you dont want to wait around? then get stuck with the chance of being put into a partial game. Thats my 2 cents

• Like 1

Join in progress is a god send, Halo has always beenthe worst for quiters, out of every FPS i have played..no players quit more than halo players and the worst thing about that is it was more noticable in halo because once someone quit that's it..you were a man down, atleast now we get a replacement member

• Like 1

Join in progress is a god send, Halo has always beenthe worst for quiters, out of every FPS i have played..no players quit more than halo players and the worst thing about that is it was more noticable in halo because once someone quit that's it..you were a man down, atleast now we get a replacement member

Actually, I'd say Battlefield has the most quitters. Games are a lot longer and teams are bigger. With so many people playing and large map size, people dropping in/out usually go unnoticed.
  • Like 1

The underlying problem is that Halo encourages quitting. We're not allowed to choose what we want to play, we pick a gametype and get forced to pick a map. I know for me its come to a point where I will simply just refuse to play certain maps. If I get dropped in one of these maps i'll quit. If maps are being voted on, i'll hold my vote to see what gets picked, and if it's something I think is ****ty, i'll just back out and try again for a map I like better.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they think I would want to play a game, when 4-5 other people had quit, obviously they're getting done by a lot.

So why stick someone searching to have a fun time on a losing team where they're going to be stuck on respawn? it makes sense if you're joining a "friend" but when you're searching by yourself, it honestly ruins the game.

Experience points for completing a match that you only partially participated in

Less time waiting for everyone to vote on a map, load said map, and establish a connection to start the match.

I honestly don't think anyone would ind waiting to find a game if it was fair.

who cares about experience points, it doesn't show how good you are at the game.

balanced teams, you're joking right?

less time wasted to vote on a map? I don't even get a choice on what map I play, I'd say that's a con.

nice try but if that's the best pros you can think of then you're struggling mate.

I hate playing games where the other team quits out, or your teammates quit out. I wan't the odds to be as fair as possible wheither if I am on the winning or loosing side of a game. I play for fun. And when I get thrown into a match where my team is loosing, I think Challenge acceped. Those wins feels better, and if I loose them I actually think about the XP thing. If it's an objective game I get thrown into and it's obviously a loss, I try killing the other team as best i can for K/D ratio. And if they're obviously spawn owing a flag game " i hide, and give away flag" to get the game over with, I never quit (unless it's immense lag).

I like this system, though i perfer my teammates don't quit. And I perfer beeing in a game and getting new teammates compared to beeing the new guy. It is how it is, best solution IMO. Think how great Halo 5 will be, 343 is really dooing their best.

It'd be nice if there was a search filter, so you can have the choice whether to JIP or not.

Yes, it'd take longer to find a game that wasn't already in progress, that's the hindrance of having that ability. I'd prefer to wait, to get an even team before I go into a match, while the people who just want a quick game can just JIP.

• Like 1

It's dumb. Nobody should have to join into a game where you're already down 5. We had a party of 2 and got stick with deficits three times in a row. I've also seen end game leader boards that are 10+ deep.

Leave the drop in/out with social. Bring on the ranked playlists already.

Maybe you shouldn't leave three times in a row then...sometimes you just gotta suck it up. I feel ya though I somehow always get put with the worst teammates xbox live has to offer. I can go 38 and 4 and my team will still lose...

The only one of those that is relevent or true is Less Time Searching.

The Last three are just.. no.

2) Experience for half played game - Might as well boost.

3) Going into game with balanced teams - Uh, no? His post is about getting put on losing teams. Even numbers do NOT mean even teams.

4) Vote on a map - Okay, you saved 15 seconds here at most. Still gotta wait forthe game to load, and to search, and to spawn. All in all, it is not worth it.

Halo 4 is amazing, we all know that. But please, don't defend parts of the game that need fixing just because you want it to be perfect. Criticizing parts of the game that need help is part of the fans' way to help fix the game.

Drop in/Drop out system is Beyond retarded I have even had games start with only one team instead of the 2 and the game instantly ends .. I have also had games start with 1 v 4 1 v 3 2 v 4 and so on.. If someone quits they should be punished in Halo 3 they lost Exp and would rank down and in Reach you got the Super nanny treatment of being put on the naughty seat for 10 mins this was not enough.

the problem is with Halo 4 is that it makes it far to easy to quit. I for one if I get put in a losing game that I am behind more than 10 kills I don't even start it I just leave and search again because I refuse to have to start behind and bust my balls off just to get Exp which I couldn't give a **** about in the first place.

When the ranking system arrives the System best be gone for ranked matchmaking.

I also heard the reason for the drop in system was because one of the people from 343 couldn't wait 4/5 mins for a game to finish to play with his friends ... Which IMO is no reason what so ever to bring it in he should have just sucked it up and waited the god dam 5 mins for the game to finish...

I hate playing games where the other team quits out, or your teammates quit out. I wan't the odds to be as fair as possible wheither if I am on the winning or loosing side of a game. I play for fun. And when I get thrown into a match where my team is loosing, I think Challenge acceped. Those wins feels better, and if I loose them I actually think about the XP thing. If it's an objective game I get thrown into and it's obviously a loss, I try killing the other team as best i can for K/D ratio. And if they're obviously spawn owing a flag game " i hide, and give away flag" to get the game over with, I never quit (unless it's immense lag).

I like this system, though i perfer my teammates don't quit. And I perfer beeing in a game and getting new teammates compared to beeing the new guy. It is how it is, best solution IMO. Think how great Halo 5 will be, 343 is really dooing their best.

I bet your KD is really bad isn't it?

• Like 1

I think the ability to join in a game in progress is absolutely fantastic. In halo 3 and Reach I felt like I was always part of the team that had people ditching out part way through a game only to completely give the game away to the opposing team. When I first say I joined mid game in Halo 4 I can honestly say I had discovered my first and foremost favourite new part of the multiplayer aspect of the game. I have completely turned games around for ones that I've joined in. I understand the points that have displayed for the cons of this and they are definitely justifiable. The best solution for everyone here would be to bring back search options as they had them in previous games.

-Implement the choice of whether you want to be able to join a game in progress.

-Bring back connection based searching.

There are very few games that offer in-game joining and I for one think it was a fantastic part on 343's decision. If I had to vote for one or another I would most definitely say to keep it in place. The fact that I can get into a game within 30 seconds is amazing to me.

Lastly if you guys want a temporary fix simply party up with someone. The odds of multiple people being absent from a game vs 1 single player is far less. By partying up with someone the game can only place you where everyone in the party will fit. It's a temporary improvement for those that are popping their top.

Getting thrown into a game that is already underway is one thing... starting a game at 7vs2 when people quit before the next player search is just baffling. We were only in a party of two at the time... it could have happily put us on the team that was at a disadvantage to balance things... for starters.