Halo 4 banning sexist players

Ventus

What if women are sexist to men?

People criticized this a lot because almost nothing is done to prevent racism or discrimination on Xbox Live. So it seems a little controversial to only focus on sexism, as racism is a much bigger and more frequent problem.
  • Like 4

343 Industries wants to make it clear: It will brook no further discrimination of any kind in Halo 4

Wonder how effective and what 343 will consider discrimination. Plenty of times, players mock the sect of the community that favors the Sangheili over the spartarn and vice versa. I do respect their sentiment and see there intent as noble but I'd hate to see people getting banned over something as dum as calling someone a Spartard

"Lifetime" ?

If they are really banning people permanently for being sexist then that's dumb. I mean sure being sexist is wrong, but god damn... over doing it much?

Luckily, it's a choice. If someone doesn't want to get perma-banned, they can just, you know, not say anything. And if someone is worried that they'll have a bad game and say something they don't mean - I know I spend a lot of games swearing pretty much non-stop - then they can always just play without a microphone.

The only thing about themselves anyone should be worrying about while they're playing a game is how well they're doing: they shouldn't be afraid to talk to other people just because of their skin colour, genitals, or sexual preferences. If someone is so incapable of reining in their bigotry that even with the threat of a perma-ban hanging over them they still insist on insulting people for things that have nothing to do with the game, then getting banned from XBL is the least of the problems in their lives and I for one don't have any sympathy at all for them.

On the other hand...

This news actually comes as kind of a disappointment. While I'm glad they're trying to do something about the sexism, as Ventus has already said, the racism and homophobia really is much worse. It would be nice if they'd announced a more general crackdown on this kind of stuff, instead of focussing exclusively on girls getting harassed. While the venom that gets thrown at them really is horrible, it's not any worse than the stuff that's said to homosexual gamers, and they shouldn't be worried that 343i isn't as worried about protecting them.

Its only sexist when men do it

That's misogyny. Sexism goes both ways.

EDIT: Seriously, 'g a y' gets swear-filtered out now? That's not cursing any more than saying 'straight'.

• Like 2

I would be banned instantly then. :/

I'm too sexy for this game.

On a more serious note, I do believe in cleaning up the community. Racial slurs and deragotory comments regarding sexual preference are the reason I have all players muted and no longer wear a mic while playing on Xbox live.

I have no issues with cursing or even insulting other players, I have called both foes and teammates a variety of foul names such as **** suckle, **** weasel, *******, dip ****, ass hat, tumblenuts, balogna ******, dumbass, **** face, dingleberry, **** brain, ass munch, monkey ****, beetle ****, **** sucker, niclkefritz, smegma licker, horse ******, donkey puncher, flash dance ass pants, chum gurgler, **** flinger, ass monkey, **** nutter and *******.

LOL oh man I have some people on my friend list who are in trouble. We just played against a group of girls, and two of my friends were yelling "why do you have an Xbox in the kitchen?" and all sorts of stuff at them.

Back in my Halo CE LAN days we had an Xbox in the kitchen. Best seat in the house, it was right next to the fridge full of beer.

Luckily, it's a choice. If someone doesn't want to get perma-banned, they can just, you know, not say anything. And if someone is worried that they'll have a bad game and say something they don't mean - I know I spend a lot of games swearing pretty much non-stop - then they can always just play without a microphone.

The only thing about themselves anyone should be worrying about while they're playing a game is how well they're doing: they shouldn't be afraid to talk to other people just because of their skin colour, genitals, or sexual preferences. If someone is so incapable of reining in their bigotry that even with the threat of a perma-ban hanging over them they still insist on insulting people for things that have nothing to do with the game, then getting banned from XBL is the least of the problems in their lives and I for one don't have any sympathy at all for them.

I think you're missing the point. Whether or not it's as easy as just "not saying anything," there are thousands of potential scenarios that could make this abused or just simply unfair.

First scenario off the top of my head, a friend comes over and plays xbox while I'm still asleep or something and he says something sexest over the mic. then "I" get banned for "LIFE," without a warning or anything?

I'm sorry, but it's simply a dumb punishment for something as simple as talking over the mic. What if I get falsely accused because someone on my team was sexest and they mistook them for me? Bam, over. No more Halo 4 for me. That sure is cool...

All I'm saying is, there is a MUCH better way to handle this. When someone is sexest in real life, face to face, you don't just throw them in prison for life, you slap them on the wrist and go "HEY..... watch it, next time you won't be so lucky" then threaten to perma ban them, don't DO it right off the bat...

I mean, think about the racism too. People sign up for Xbox Live and might slip a sexest/racist comment out and be perma-banned. Which, even though they may have done it on purpose, it's still not a rule EVERYONE is aware of.

So just like that... they get banned lol for good. No second chance, at all? Not one?...

I think you're missing the point. Whether or not it's as easy as just "not saying anything," there are thousands of potential scenarios that could make this abused or just simply unfair.

First scenario off the top of my head, a friend comes over and plays xbox while I'm still asleep or something and he says something sexest over the mic. then "I" get banned for "LIFE," without a warning or anything?

I'm sorry, but it's simply a dumb punishment for something as simple as talking over the mic. What if I get falsely accused because someone on my team was sexest and they mistook them for me? Bam, over. No more Halo 4 for me. That sure is cool...

All I'm saying is, there is a MUCH better way to handle this. When someone is sexest in real life, face to face, you don't just throw them in prison for life, you slap them on the wrist and go "HEY..... watch it, next time you won't be so lucky" then threaten to perma ban them, don't DO it right off the bat...

I mean, think about the racism too. People sign up for Xbox Live and might slip a sexest/racist comment out and be perma-banned. Which, even though they may have done it on purpose, it's still not a rule EVERYONE is aware of.

So just like that... they get banned lol for good. No second chance, at all? Not one?...

while I too disagree with this ban thing, anyone who says something sexist or racist really deserves it. If you can't play halo without calling someone the n word, or saying nasty things to a girl just for being a girl, then honestly you don't need to play. Second chance or not

while I too disagree with this ban thing, anyone who says something sexist or racist really deserves it. If you can't play halo without calling someone the n word, or saying nasty things to a girl just for being a girl, then honestly you don't need to play. Second chance or not

Yeah, this. And even if you give them a warning, they'll be nice for one game, then they'll forget about it and keep doing what they did.
  • Like 1

No, 343 need to give warnings period. I got credit banned 2 damn times and never knew what I did until I researched for hours. Hence my Reach bans thread. Seriously, they can have a 0% tolerance and still give a freaking warning. Just because someone is nce for one game then forgets doesn't mean they are off the hook. Warnings flag GTs and when that happens, next time=ban. Warnings are great for honest players with a bit of a temper.

• Like 2

Yeah, this. And even if you give them a warning, they'll be nice for one game, then they'll forget about it and keep doing what they did.

No they wont. Why would they?

If they are given a warning that they're account will be PERMAbanned from playing Halo 4 for saying another racist/sexest comment, then they won't do it again. They have no reason to do it again. And, if they actually DID do it again, then they would be banned.

Ultimately, this gives people a chance to still play Halo 4, whether or not they slipped up or it wasn't even them saying it. Instead of trashing the player for good, they give them a chance to clean their act up. Because keep in mind, EVERYONE is human.

A perfect example of this is when I use to use the word "***." A few years ago, "***" was simply a word used to describe people who were annoying ****** bags or jerks. But now it's become predominantly used as a hate term for gays. While I try to avoid saying it, it's literally wired in my brain, and yes, it DOES slip up sometimes.

And the thing is, this is actually backed by science. Our brain has a collection of BILLIONS of brain neurons that link up to form algorithms for our mind to use, like habits, or anything second nature, so we don't have to think while we do it. Speaking is one of them (notice how you can just throw out words and sentences without thinking ahead of time). If someone is an ex-racist/sexest person or are around racist/sexest people, and they slip a word out of anger or for w/e reason, I still feel like it's not right to perma ban them.

Sure, it might give a racist an extra chance at being racist, but think about the long run. If warnings were implemented, not only would you assure the freedom of the innocence, but you'd still be putting racist and sexest people on the spot. They can either stop now while they had their warning, or do it again and be banned, no longer anyones problem. Opposed to banning everyone left and right who says something offensive.

You sit there and say "oh they deserve it!" because you only look at the small picture of it all. There is more to justice than punishing the wicked. You also have to assure the freedom of the innocent people too.

Ergo, their method is flawed.

this is cool and all but does this really apply to trash talk just sexist stuff i dont care i wont talk to you anyway but thats alot of banning going on .

P.S manyy people are saying the guys are sexist there are girls out there that can deall just as much as they can get it true iv said hey to a girl and instantly get called "what you wan ****" i just like o.O o what did i do

• Like 1

I think you're missing the point. Whether or not it's as easy as just "not saying anything,"

It is.

Yep.

If someone can't trust their friends to play a game without insulting people, they shouldn't let them onto their account. Get them to bring their own profile on a memory unit, or recover it via XBL. And if said friends are the kind of people who go to that person's house, play their games while they're asleep, and then use their account to throw bigotry at others knowing that it will result in a ban, that person should probably think about getting some new friends because the ones they have clearly aren't worth having.

If you didn't say anything, you won't get in trouble. They'll check the records to find out who said what. If you're worried, then tell the person saying sexist things that you think they're an idiot and you don't agree with them: that way you'll not only have a record of your voice in your history which sounds different from what's said in-game, but it'll be a record which overtly disagrees with what's being said. If you don't have a mic, you obviously can't be guilty, so don't worry about that either.

That's not what happens at all. Where I work, if I were to insult someone just because of their gender or skin colour, I'd be looking for a new job by the end of the day. Plus, everyone HAS just been warned about it, so there's no excuse for not knowing. Everyone has to say they'd read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of using XBL when they sign up, including playing by the rules of the Code of Conduct.

I mean, think about the racism too. People sign up for Xbox Live and might slip a sexest/racist comment out and be perma-banned.

Yep. And all that proves is that the system we have in place to stop people from being racist or sexist is working.

Which, even though they may have done it on purpose, it's still not a rule EVERYONE is aware of.

Even though the very first thing they did on XBL was agree that they'd read the Terms and Conditions, including the Code of Conduct. Which says very clearly that people will get banned for being racist or sexist.

I mean, how could they not be aware of it? They agreed in a legally binding document that they understood and agreed to them. There's no excuse for not knowing the rules and someone saying they didn't bother reading them when they're in trouble just makes them a particularly stupid bigot.

http://www.joystiq.c...sexist-players/

343i stated that they will be very strict regarding sexist jokes and ban players if they do not respect female gamers and watch their mouths. Give it a read, it will give you a more in depth explanation.

Not sure how I feel about this...I understand the principal behind the matter, but I curse sometimes when I am very frustrated, not an individual usually but in general, what if a gamer on my team happens to be a girl and not using a mic, thus I had no clue and they take offense and report me and I am banned...that hardly seems fair.