3rd person gametype

Fire

• 1 year later...

I don't understand the fascination with the over-the-shoulder perspective. In every game in which it appears they slow you down, and the only thing it accomplishes is blocks you from seeing a large portion of your screen. It's a terrible perspective whose popularity boggles me. It's right up there with quick-time events and context commands as a thing that has become wildly popular for no good reason. Is there some masturbatory fascination with seeing your character perform actions? I'd rather see it like I would see it if I was in the game.

People like it, but it does nothing to improve functionality or gameplay, just worsens it (Because they always implement it by jamming a broomstick up the character's butt so you can never move as well). If ever I need to argue that people don't have any idea what makes a good game, I will point to the over-the-shoulder perspective as an example. You might like it, but it improves the game about as much as a single new armor permutation and damages it badly in the process. It's a personal preference thing and I wish people who liked this crap got less of what they wanted so the rest of us could have better games.

I don't understand the fascination with the over-the-shoulder perspective. In every game in which it appears they slow you down, and the only thing it accomplishes is blocks you from seeing a large portion of your screen. It's a terrible perspective whose popularity boggles me. It's right up there with quick-time events and context commands as a thing that has become wildly popular for no good reason. Is there some masturbatory fascination with seeing your character perform actions? I'd rather see it like I would see it if I was in the game.

People like it, but it does nothing to improve functionality or gameplay, just worsens it (Because they always implement it by jamming a broomstick up the character's butt so you can never move as well). If ever I need to argue that people don't have any idea what makes a good game, I will point to the over-the-shoulder perspective as an example. You might like it, but it improves the game about as much as a single new armor permutation and damages it badly in the process. It's a personal preference thing and I wish people who liked this crap got less of what they wanted so the rest of us could have better games.

You're right! Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 were epic fails! And the only people who liked them are pretentious dewshes.

• Like 1

Third person games types make peolle move around more tacticlly and yes I do enjoy watchin my character raik people. Your opinion is dumb but u have a right to it

Third person games types make peolle move around more tacticlly and yes I do enjoy watchin my character raik people. Your opinion is dumb but u have a right to it

"more tactically"

How so? You see a lot more so its less tactically because its very easy to camp and to spot people.

It's no big deal, it'd just be a gametype. You get a choice if you wanna play it or not, who cares.

I care because it seems I'm one of the few people who respects the fact that products have to be released by a deadline and that's the job of the people at 343 industries. I may not like everything they do, but I respect that it's a real job at a real company doing work to create a marketable product.

So when they're making changes to this game or another I'd like it if they spend their LIMITED time focusing on things that matter rather than giving people an option to watch themselves run. You can't just have all options in every game, little things like programming a second camera take time that could be spent fine tuning weapons or cleaning up glitches. The ONLY shooter I know of that's very successful with the over-the-shoulder perspective is Gears of War. It plays radically different from Halo AND its multiplayer has more narrow appeal.

If you want to see yourself that bad just watch every game you play in theater, you'll make as much of a difference.

Over-the-shoulder perspective pushes your camera back but you still have to remain competitive. Rather than swiveling on your gun like the camera does now though, the over-the-shoulder perspective swings it wide behind you to keep looking in front of you. The camera has to move MORE to keep up with the same amount of player movment. It's not just a change you can program in and let players pick between it and 1st person. That's why in over-the-shoulder shooters they slow you down so much, so that you don't get jarred by the camera moving super fast to keep up.

The OP doesn't understand this because the OP didn't think about it, but if you think about it as a game mechanic the problems become obvious. It's not something you click on and off, it's something you build your game around. Where the camera is in a SHOOTER is extremely important. Like my opinion or not, it's the product of information not random brainfarts.

"more tactically"

How so? You see a lot more so its less tactically because its very easy to camp and to spot people.

Funny thing is people move around more cause u can see more. Of course theres gonna be corner campers but with a 3rd person adavantage u can take cover more effectively and it would make people hit cover then pop out then hit it again. I think it would be fun.

I care because it seems I'm one of the few people who respects the fact that products have to be released by a deadline and that's the job of the people at 343 industries. I may not like everything they do, but I respect that it's a real job at a real company doing work to create a marketable product.

So when they're making changes to this game or another I'd like it if they spend their LIMITED time focusing on things that matter rather than giving people an option to watch themselves run. You can't just have all options in every game, little things like programming a second camera take time that could be spent fine tuning weapons or cleaning up glitches. The ONLY shooter I know of that's very successful with the over-the-shoulder perspective is Gears of War. It plays radically different from Halo AND its multiplayer has more narrow appeal.

If you want to see yourself that bad just watch every game you play in theater, you'll make as much of a difference.

Over-the-shoulder perspective pushes your camera back but you still have to remain competitive. Rather than swiveling on your gun like the camera does now though, the over-the-shoulder perspective swings it wide behind you to keep looking in front of you. The camera has to move MORE to keep up with the same amount of player movment. It's not just a change you can program in and let players pick between it and 1st person. That's why in over-the-shoulder shooters they slow you down so much, so that you don't get jarred by the camera moving super fast to keep up.

The OP doesn't understand this because the OP didn't think about it, but if you think about it as a game mechanic the problems become obvious. It's not something you click on and off, it's something you build your game around. Where the camera is in a SHOOTER is extremely important. Like my opinion or not, it's the product of information not random brainfarts.

Just cuz theres deadlines doest mean its impossible, of all the things they could add this be easy theatre mode has a 3rd person camera already. Also why u gotta sound like your attacking the op he was just wondering something and wanted some feedback.