Why does everyone hate on Armor Abilities?

YondyZMatrx

Whenever I see an argument saying that the should get rid of them entirely it bugs me. Why get rid of something that was a good gameplay mechanic? It allows for strategy to be part of a persons playing style. I know some people use the abilites the wrong way, and that some of the abilities are just terrible. But adding something new was supposed to be a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm done ranting now. Sorry, and I would appreciate some feedback.

• Like 2

It is not that people hate AA, it is that people hate the AA in Reach, and for good reason. Armor Lock, wtf is up with that?! You can destroy a vehicle by going into it and kill enemies with it. Also, Evade? C'mon now that was just OP because of how fast you could move. Invisible was dumb, Sprint was actually cool, and jetpack was useless usually. That is why most people hate the AA, they are either OP or just plain useless. The ones in Halo 4 look to be good though, nicely balanced and they fit into the game. I am very excited for it.

Mostly the reason is because how you said that people use them wrong. And that's a lot of people. And also some abilities suck. Luckily 343i is balancing them and fixing them for Halo 4 very well. Halo Reach's AA will probably suck compared to Halo 4's

Yep, Reach's AA felt like an afterthought, too. Halo 4 is actually being designed around them.

I strongly disliked them in reach because most of them just didn't seem to feel right. Armor lock could be abused, camo really wasn't very good nor was hologram, the jetpack was fun but changed map control drastically/ made it easier to lose secured positions. That being said, I'm being open minded for what's to come in Halo 4, and from the gameplay I've seen the armor abilities seem to fit in really well and contribute to the gameplay, so no complaints here. I'm sure I will always prefer the classic Halo experience with no armor abilities because it's simple, works well, everything is equal and balanced, and it's what I've known for all Halo's prior to Reach. Everyone has individual preferences though, and despite me preferring classic Halo, I can acknowledge that it's important to change things up so it isn't the exact same game every time, so I would definitely choose to keep armor abilities.

It is not that people hate AA, it is that people hate the AA in Reach, and for good reason. Armor Lock, wtf is up with that?! You can destroy a vehicle by going into it and kill enemies with it. Also, Evade? C'mon now that was just OP because of how fast you could move. Invisible was dumb, Sprint was actually cool, and jetpack was useless usually. That is why most people hate the AA, they are either OP or just plain useless. The ones in Halo 4 look to be good though, nicely balanced and they fit into the game. I am very excited for it.

I beg to differ. Armor Lock could only really destroy Ghosts, 1 player. Destroying a Warthog was incredibly rare. Armor Lock was the easiest ability to actually counter for good players in the game, it was the only one that was completely predictable. People complain about it being too easy to use, but I would see so many players just RUN UP to the locker, and get murdered for their own stupidity. Also, used well, it rarely actually slowed the game, because most players would just use it as a brief block to a frag, and use it in short bursts. Anyone who throws it down for the full time normally gets murdered, and thus there wasn't a problem.

Jet Pack was not useless. And it's uses as both a offensive, defensive, and positioning tool were all planned, and executed by players. Many used it badly, but many did not.

The only AA I would say was less useful than others would be Holo. Fighting a whole team of Camo players is kind of like playing without radar, and the enemy team is also invisible.

I am glad to see AA's being expanded upon, not trashed.

• Like 2

Most people do not like AA's becasue of how they were abused in Reach. Not only did people use them wrongly, but people abused the system, especially with Armor Lock. I agree that Jet Pack was useless...it ruined the flow of the map and matches. The flow of Halo was fine in H2 and H3, no need to add an ability to fly everywhwere on the map. I am glad it is only going to be a boost in Halo 4. I really hope they fix active camo...it is broken.

I beg to differ. Armor Lock could only really destroy Ghosts, 1 player. Destroying a Warthog was incredibly rare. Armor Lock was the easiest ability to actually counter for good players in the game, it was the only one that was completely predictable. People complain about it being too easy to use, but I would see so many players just RUN UP to the locker, and get murdered for their own stupidity. Also, used well, it rarely actually slowed the game, because most players would just use it as a brief block to a frag, and use it in short bursts. Anyone who throws it down for the full time normally gets murdered, and thus there wasn't a problem.

Jet Pack was not useless. And it's uses as both a offensive, defensive, and positioning tool were all planned, and executed by players. Many used it badly, but many did not.

The only AA I would say was less useful than others would be Holo. Fighting a whole team of Camo players is kind of like playing without radar, and the enemy team is also invisible.

Armor Lock generally does not take skill. Here's why, when you are about to die you just go into Armor Lock and hope that an ally saves you before you run out. That does not take any amount of skill. Also while it never kills warthogs and wraiths, it is very good at EMPing them and resulting in them getting taken out.

Armor Lock generally does not take skill. Here's why, when you are about to die you just go into Armor Lock and hope that an ally saves you before you run out. That does not take any amount of skill. Also while it never kills warthogs and wraiths, it is very good at EMPing them and resulting in them getting taken out.

I disagree. Most of the time in a game like Halo, it takes skill. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it well. Most people were most certainly NOT doing it well.

It takes skill to know exactly when to throw down for frags and other hazards, and be aware of other hazards that might make you want to keep it down a half second longer. It takes skill for you to be able to use it in a DMR fight to block 1-2 shots but quickly come back out and make YOUR shots connect. It takes skill to lure out the Sword user and tank the hit for your allies, and time the melee properly to deliver the smack down. If these things didn't take any skill, everyone would do them perfectly. Someone that uses armor lock only in the way you described obviously isn't playing that well, and their score will likely reflect that. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't take skill to use properly.

Jet Pack was useless...it ruined the flow of the map and matches. The flow of Halo was fine in H2 and H3, no need to add an ability to fly everywhwere on the map. I am glad it is only going to be a boost in Halo 4. I really hope they fix active camo...it is broken.

I don't understand your use of the term useless. I understand saying you don't like Jet Pack, or it's not as good, but I don't see how you can make the claim that it was useless. It was of course, very useful in so many situations.

And how is camo broken?

• Like 1

I disagree. Most of the time in a game like Halo, it takes skill. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it well. Most people were most certainly NOT doing it well.

It takes skill to know exactly when to throw down for frags and other hazards, and be aware of other hazards that might make you want to keep it down a half second longer. It takes skill for you to be able to use it in a DMR fight to block 1-2 shots but quickly come back out and make YOUR shots connect. It takes skill to lure out the Sword user and tank the hit for your allies, and time the melee properly to deliver the smack down. If these things didn't take any skill, everyone would do them perfectly. Someone that uses armor lock only in the way you described obviously isn't playing that well, and their score will likely reflect that. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't take skill to use properly.

I'm sorry but none of those things take that much skill as I know it lol. Anybody can hit a button and instantly perform any of those actions. But the real issue is that when somebody with Armor Lock is nearing death they just throw it down for as long as they can. Which takes absolutely no skill whatsoever.

i dont know... im indifferent about them. While i loved reach and mny of the things it brought to the table. the armor abilities didnt do much for the gaame.. I saw most them as "Oh **** i dont want to ******* die" tactics. I just haate when people complain too much about them. Yes its aa pain in the ass when you aa super high ranking guy with tons of skill and you get popped by some armor locking neewwwwb that has no skill. i understand that. Jet pack really was useless unless in forge or in campaign it really just for campers. Evade was really cool for elites aand was helpfull but most of the time was usless and noobish. To be honest i used it when sprint wasnt available and i need ed to get around fast or when i didnt want to get pawned anad need to gtfo. Camo was gaarbadge to me because you could always seee some one using it and then it just ***** up your radasre and i know thats so it doesnt get super powerful...but it had none of this in halo 3 and wasing super over used. The only really helpful and skillful AA TO MEE was halogram. it was strategetical. helped you and gave you a upperhand that wasnt a noobish one. it was also cool and very useful. But what i really wanted to saay waas that these things that were maybe not to enjoyable iom going to miss them. They had their flare and fun. It is going to be very different inhalo 4 everyones raging how halo 4 going to be like halo 3 again and there bring fun back. Halo 3 was made by bungie and so was reach with microsofts help. Whats goign to missing in this equation for halo 4? Bungie. While there is **** in my pants for awesomeness i have seen in the halo traileres i can tell there gonna be some **** WE ARE GOING TO MISS so please stop doging reach and the things that made it not fun not hardcore but the things that made it bungie and the the things that made it halo.

h

People sometimes complain that it destroys team gameplay. I think of it as a new way of Teamplay. Get me a Hologramer, Shielder/Regeneration, PV-er and myself with a Jetpack/Thruster Pack, and we could pull out some SWEET MOVES

• Like 1

I completely agree with Dawn Wolf. Although I haven't used Armor Lock much in Matchmaking, I've used it quite a bit in Firefight, and when I didn't time it right, I'd sometimes get slaughtered by plasma grenades. But when I did get the timing just right, I was able to kick some Covenant ass.

And I loved the Jetpack. It's perfect for getting to higher places in a hurry. Well, until you decide to go too high and die from fall damage. lol

Everyone seems to forget the only armor ability that actually did what it was suppose to (drop shield) but no one ever used it myself included.

The problem with AL was that players found a way to spam it causing them to regain shields quicker (for some reason) there were also the players who would run into a enemy and go into AL right next to them some how causing damage, AL users exploited this and would hit there opponent twice with this and then melee them.

The jet pack broke gameplay because of the map flow and the fact that people used it to camp.

AC was given two weakness the radar jammer and the fade when moving.

With the two evade bursts a player could move acrosss a small map too quickly.

Reach's sprint was to clunky I've heard thats been fixed.

Hologram didn't cause much of a distraction I've heard this hasn't changed much.

The AA's in reach were pretty bad and thats why people don't like them but we have to give the new ones a chance.

PV, HLS, and thruster pack seem like good additions that won't subtract from the gameplay.

I don't understand your use of the term useless. I understand saying you don't like Jet Pack, or it's not as good, but I don't see how you can make the claim that it was useless. It was of course, very useful in so many situations.

And how is camo broken?

the problem with reachs AAs was it wasnt like rock paper scissors nothing really balanced each other out 343i says there trying to make it like that eveything cancels each other out. i hated AAs in reach hopefully halo 4 is better at putting these in to play.