4 Years in Cyo is quite a long Time, don't you think?

Rex Reiden X

Ok, this post coccured to me yesterday but I hadn't post this thread because I needed to go back to the books for some proof or else I was going to get a bunch of BS from ppl. Anyway, it is my understanding that the Chief spent 4 years in Cryo in the time between Halo 3 & 4 but in the book "Halo: The Flood" as the narrator stated in page 20: "Most soldiers went into cryo naked, since covered skin generally reacted badly to the cryo process. Sam had once worn a bandage into the freezer and discovered the affected skin blistered and raw when he woke up.". The narrator also stated in the Prologue page 1 that: "In over two hundred combat cruises, Marcus had clocked fewer than seventy-two hours in cryostorage." Those of you who read the book can skip the next explanation which will begin and end with {}. {The person reffered to in the passages is Tech Officer (3rd class) Sam Marcus, if you haven't read the book but have played the 1st game you might recognize him as the guy in the observation deck when Chief is taken out of Cryo. And if you look towards him when the Elites go into the observation deck you can see part of his death which is also explained in more detail in the book.} Anyway back to the topic, how is it possible for Chief to stay alive through 4 years in cryo when Sam with fewer than 72 hours had a piece of his body with blisters and raw? And don't say the suit 'cause in page 21 the narrator stated that Chief's skin "itche and stung" which is obviously a side effect of cryo, so the armor doesn't protect him completly from cryo. I am obviously open for opinion, thank you very much.

Hmm...probably something 343i will ignore to keep the fluidity of the game lol. Similar to inconsistencies in movies that keep the fluidity of the film, Im sure it will either be passed over or loosely explained. But from the information you have submitted I agree that it is not possible for Chief to have survived 4 years without any sort of ill affects.

Spartan armor is designed to basically deplete the negative effects of cryo gasses on unexposed skin, while still keeping the chamber at a temperature to preserve sentient life.

DATS IT. And about the length in cryo... Maybe he didn't spent ALL the time in the cryotube

Spartan armor is designed to basically deplete the negative effects of cryo gasses on unexposed skin, while still keeping the chamber at a temperature to preserve sentient life.

Ok what part of not being the suit didn't ppl understand? Anyway, can you go deeper into your answer 'cause as I recall the Chief's skin was affected in cryo.

Ok what part of not being the suit didn't ppl understand? Anyway, can you go deeper into your answer 'cause as I recall the Chief's skin was affected in cryo.

It was tingly. Not really affected badly. And we are talking about Chief here so he is of course in his suit. Why make a remark about not being in a suit?

Chief is also wearing Mk IV and not Mk V so we don't know how they react differently. And I'm pretty sure 343 said that Chief stopped somewhere else during those four years which explains the armor changes, but they didn't want to go in depth with the interviewer.

The book, in that part, was written in the perspective of a marine/personnel. It assumed that his skin hurt like hell. But when it switched to chief's perspective, he simply stated it was a bit tingly.

I get your point, but after that the narrator start speaking in Chief's point of view when it stated that Chief's skin "itched and stung", or what you guys call "tingly". After that the sentence is continued stating that Chief's skin was tingly because it was "a side effect of the cryo GASES, but he quickly banished the PAIN from his awareness. He had long ago learned how to disassociate himself from physical discomfort." The previous sentence just stated a few things, 1st: Chief's armor does not "deplete the negative effects of cryo gasses on unexposed skin" at least not in Mark V, if you think Mark IV can pls give supporting details quote if you must. 2nd point this statement makes is that the Chief's was affected by the cryo side effects because he felt PAIN until he forgot about it, and he was only a few hours or days in cryo at most, so what do you think will happen in 4 years. And 3rd point (and the most important one), it proves that Master Chief is indeed a mother#%&$ing badass, like Tallgeese said. I don't know if WonderWombat's comment is a definite answer but it is indeed something to look into, and Ryu I wasn't making a remark of Chief not being in a suit (he is always in the suit), I was making a remark on how the suit can't protect him for 4 years from the cryo side effects.

I get your point, but after that the narrator start speaking in Chief's point of view when it stated that Chief's skin "itched and stung", or what you guys call "tingly". After that the sentence is continued stating that Chief's skin was tingly because it was "a side effect of the cryo GASES, but he quickly banished the PAIN from his awareness. He had long ago learned how to disassociate himself from physical discomfort." The previous sentence just stated a few things, 1st: Chief's armor does not "deplete the negative effects of cryo gasses on unexposed skin" at least not in Mark V, if you think Mark IV can pls give supporting details quote if you must. 2nd point this statement makes is that the Chief's was affected by the cryo side effects because he felt PAIN until he forgot about it, and he was only a few hours or days in cryo at most, so what do you think will happen in 4 years. And 3rd point (and the most important one), it proves that Master Chief is indeed a mother#%&$ing badass, like Tallgeese said. I don't know if WonerWombat's comment is a definite answer but it is indeed something to look into, and Ryu I wasn't making a remark of Chief not being in a suit (he is always in the suit), I was making a remark on how the suit can't protect him for 4 years from the cryo side effects.

Maybe 343 will explain more about the suit.

There would be no point for 343 to go deep into that, I mean Halo 4 campaign isn't gonna be chief debating with himself saying "shouldn't the cryo tube have damaged me? Wait no my armor protects me." That's what drove cortana crazy in the trailers then..

There would be no point for 343 to go deep into that, I mean Halo 4 campaign isn't gonna be chief debating with himself saying "shouldn't the cryo tube have damaged me? Wait no my armor protects me." That's what drove cortana crazy in the trailers then..

Upon reading my own answers I have notice that I seem a little hostile, pls I don't intend to, that's just how I write. Look D-Wane I am not saying that this is extremely important, but I find it very rude for someone/something to barge in and call the shots without giving any importance to the little details. 343i can't just come in and take control of the franchise and say "it's based 4 years since the end of the Halo 3" without giving a rather logical explanation on how somethings happen, since I have posted this question I have jet to see a logical answer. All I get are assumptions and it looks to me that we are missing a key fact in the storyline and we are in the dark about it. Now I don't know about you but for a storyline to make sense it must have an explanation on what happens in between time periods, something we are missing here. I would really like this post to reach someone from 343i just so they can clear the mistery, something that I am sure won't happen. So we need to make a little more research and work with what we got until they clear the subject, if they do. So if anyone comes up with something pls let me know.

Upon reading my own answers I have notice that I seem a little hostile, pls I don't intend to, that's just how I write. Look D-Wane I am not saying that this is extremely important, but I find it very rude for someone/something to barge in and call the shots without giving any importance to the little details. 343i can't just come in and take control of the franchise and say "it's based 4 years since the end of the Halo 3" without giving a rather logical explanation on how somethings happen, since I have posted this question I have jet to see a logical answer. All I get are assumptions and it looks to me that we are missing a key fact in the storyline and we are in the dark about it. Now I don't know about you but for a storyline to make sense it must have an explanation on what happens in between time periods, something we are missing here. I would really like this post to reach someone from 343i just so they can clear the mistery, something that I am sure won't happen. So we need to make a little more research and work with what we got until they clear the subject, if they do. So if anyone comes up with something pls let me know.

Well, it is very unlikely that they would take notice since this is the community run site.

So you are throwing their story telling our the window before the story even comes out. What it seems you are doing is demanding answers right now for some trivial part of the game. Maybe you should wait, play the game, then decided if their is a logical inconsistency or not.

Ah, but that's just it. Chief was in cryo for 4 years... Cortana upgraded his suit in that time. So, upgrades would at least take a little while, so cortana may have started during the first year. When finished, she likely added something to deplete the effects of the gasses. Just a theory.

Ah, but that's just it. Chief was in cryo for 4 years... Cortana upgraded his suit in that time. So, upgrades would at least take a little while, so cortana may have started during the first year. When finished, she likely added something to deplete the effects of the gasses. Just a theory.

Now we are getting somewhere, that theory is a good one and she might have added the thing that "depletes the effects of the gasses." before she finished the upgrades to protect the Chief, again just a theory like you said. But this is good, I don't really know how she upgraded the armor but we could say, in theory, that some sentinels from Halo were shut down after the ring's destruction and she hacked them so she could make repairs around the ship to keep the power flowing. Later she put the Chief into a coma out of cryo (obviously) and started making upgrades, again this is just a theroy but that's realy the best we can do without real data from either Bungie or 343i. Good work, let me just make clear that this is not the same answer as Azeraph's, one thing is update the firmware and it's another to upgrade the armor. And WonderWombat, I am not throwing their story out the window, I am excited and can't wait for the game to come out but I want to get a possible explanation to some things. And I wasn't demanding a answer I was demanding an explanation which came in the form of a theory. And this part of the story is not trivial, how would you feel if you go to sleep and wake up on Mars? I don't know about you but I would like to know what the heck happend in the time you were asleep. Of course if a better theory comes up, pls don't hesitate in posting it.

• Like 1

Cortana can't upgrade the hardware unless she physically swaps things out but she can upgrade the suits firmware,at the sametime there could be a service bot around but the whole halo universe shows nothing of human built bots anywhere,pls correct if wrong.

The chief is fully catheteriszed and she can still monitor his internals at the chemical level so she can make adjustments perse as time moves on,a little less of this or that or a little more of this or that,she can adjust it, where is if it was left to the standard operting system it could go na-na and kill him or just bring him out at each alotted safety time limit and make him wait til his system was once again capapble of sustaining cryo for long periods of time.