Why not one up the compition?

Wes Stone501

Most FPSs these days have 3 modes: campaign, multiplayer and horde/ firefight type of thing. Why not 1 up and keep the firefight?! You could say that halo already did that with Reach if you count forge but I still feel like they are taking away a huge chunk of the game to give us something we never asked for. I still think spartan ops is a cool idea but I still would like firefight back. Before 343 gave any info about the game that was the most anticipated info on the game to see the improvements especially with what they did with the ODSTs in Halo CEA firefight.

How do you guys feel?

Most FPSs these days have 3 modes: campaign, multiplayer and horde/ firefight type of thing. Why not 1 up and keep the firefight?! You could say that halo already did that with Reach if you count forge but I still feel like they are taking away a huge chunk of the game to give us something we never asked for. I still think spartan ops is a cool idea but I still would like firefight back. Before 343 gave any info about the game that was the most anticipated info on the game to see the improvements especially with what they did with the ODSTs in Halo CEA firefight.

How do you guys feel?

It"s supposed to be repetitive, the point is to beat your last score.

Finally someone who care about Firefight, let me tell you that Firefight might be repetitive but IT IS HEAVEN for the noobs out there without experience, for expert players to get a new challenge, AND for normal players who sadly enough can't afford Live. When I bought Reach I could't afford Live at he moment so I played Firefight, I started the Campaign for the first time in Heroic (having played Halo since the 1st game in Xbox and PC) and I found out that I needed more practice with the Button Layout, the Abilities, the new and old guns, etc... So I went down to Normal, after finishing the Campaign (since I had no Live) decided to play Firefight for the 1st time, and man did I play Firefigth. I played that game for fun (at 1st) then I started playing it to hone my skills, going from no skulls to a few skulls then to all the skulls on in Normal to all the skulls on in Heroic, re-organizing the wave to fight elites most of the time. The last time I played Halo 3 Multiplayer I wasn't nearly as good as I became, I developed skills that I wouldn't develop since I hate going through the campaing over and over again when I have no Membership, and when I finally got the Gold Membership I started kicking more asses than ever. I am currently training on Legendary with Mythic, Cloud, Tough Luck and Black eye, I am all for something new in Halo since that's what makes it the best FPS game out there, but don't take the good old stuff out (if it is because it occupies too much space in the main menu just make it an option under Spec Ops). And pls don't forget about the ones who can't afford Live, don't make them go through the Campaign over and over again just because 343 didn't like Firefight, rename it if it is a Rights problem, but don't forget about us.

Firefight was really just a way of matching CoDs zombies and it failed, it has become a way for people to just farm credits and when they made it customizable in reach your score didn't even mean anything because you could make yourself invincible or have all grunts or just have rockets and unlimited grenades.

they missed the point that zombies is just fun because everybody likes to mow down zombies and figure out a strategy because it makes noobs feel good

I agree with the above posts, SPOPS will be far more interactive for the player than FF. FF was way too repetative and could be manipulated by the player too much. Adding a game mode that ties both into campaign and multiplayer will be a big hit.

Let's be honest it was Gears 2. LA Noire had 3 disc, that isn't the problem. It's the fact that 343 didn't do it. They could made a standard "this is the way to be on the leader boards" and then could added in things like call in weapon drops, Drop in a squad of ODSTs and awesome stuff like that. Just because it was not as good in reach doesn't mean they can't fix it.

• Like 1

Though I do like firefight as an occasional way to let off some steam, it IS pretty repetitive. Yeah, you can mix up the waves, make it harder, but then it's pretty much like Campaign. I personally think Spartan Ops is going to be super neato, and I really look forward to seeing how it plays out.

The worst part about Firefight for me was the AI and its limited capabilities. It was very dumbed down from the normal campaign AI and they lacked any kind of dynamic behavior whatsoever - their sole directive was to advance to your position without stopping until you killed them. If firefight were to return, the AI would need some serious beefing, as well as the implementation of more gameplay dynamics and larger maps to incorporate their improved behavior.

I think a good place to start would be allowing the AI to set up defensive positions of their own. Find areas in the map to take cover behind, deploy stationary guns, mortars, and artillery from, dispatch small teams to assault your position, and a number of other scenarios that would make it feel like an actual battle, rather than wave after wave of dumb enemies. Their positions could even have the capability of growing in size and power, such as starting out as a simple machine gun pit, then growing into an encampment with key leaders (Elites, Brutes) in charge, to a full-scale firebase with sniper towers and other structures that can spawn enemies directly, or serve as a drop zone for more troops and vehicles.

This could even become a secondary objective of Firefight mode - stop enemies from setting up a significant presence in the area, or in failing that, assault their firebases and wipe them out / destroy them. As Spartans, the same options would be available to you as well, allowing you to set up defensive positions during lulls in combat and call in ordnance drops or personnel. This would create the potential for drastically different outcomes each time the game is played, all depending on how you want to play it. You could stay on the offensive and seek out enemies directly before they have a chance to mount a counter-offensive, or build up your defenses and duke it out with an enemy base in a battle of attrition. Or even lay low for a while, letting the enemy set up a few spots, and launch hit-and-run raids.

At this late point in the development cycle, its too late to add something this big if it doesn't already exist, but there are still future Halos and I think this would improve the experience drastically.

• Like 2

The worst part about Firefight for me was the AI and its limited capabilities. It was very dumbed down from the normal campaign AI and they lacked any kind of dynamic behavior whatsoever - their sole directive was to advance to your position without stopping until you killed them. If firefight were to return, the AI would need some serious beefing, as well as the implementation of more gameplay dynamics and larger maps to incorporate their improved behavior.

I think a good place to start would be allowing the AI to set up defensive positions of their own. Find areas in the map to take cover behind, deploy stationary guns, mortars, and artillery from, dispatch small teams to assault your position, and a number of other scenarios that would make it feel like an actual battle, rather than wave after wave of dumb enemies. Their positions could even have the capability of growing in size and power, such as starting out as a simple machine gun pit, then growing into an encampment with key leaders (Elites, Brutes) in charge, to a full-scale firebase with sniper towers and other structures that can spawn enemies directly, or serve as a drop zone for more troops and vehicles.

This could even become a secondary objective of Firefight mode - stop enemies from setting up a significant presence in the area, or in failing that, assault their firebases and wipe them out / destroy them. As Spartans, the same options would be available to you as well, allowing you to set up defensive positions during lulls in combat and call in ordnance drops or personnel. This would create the potential for drastically different outcomes each time the game is played, all depending on how you want to play it. You could stay on the offensive and seek out enemies directly before they have a chance to mount a counter-offensive, or build up your defenses and duke it out with an enemy base in a battle of attrition. Or even lay low for a while, letting the enemy set up a few spots, and launch hit-and-run raids.

At this late point in the development cycle, its too late to add something this big if it doesn't already exist, but there are still future Halos and I think this would improve the experience drastically.

There are always future halos... or better yet DLC!

• Like 1