Covenant speaking english or their language?

Poo1337

I assume they will be talking both in English and in their native language. If they do talk in their native language, 343i should put some sort of dictionary in the game so that players can understand what the elites, grunts, jackals etc. say. That's how I'd like to see it.

I assume they will be talking both in English and in their native language. If they do talk in their native language, 343i should put some sort of dictionary in the game so that players can understand what the elites, grunts, jackals etc. say. That's how I'd like to see it.

I don't think a dictionary would help much to understand elites.

They sound like this when talking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_WUspniMo&feature=player_detailpage

I don't think I could pull a word out of there if I was given one, except maybe when they slow down to do their chanting.

• Like 1

I don't think a dictionary would help much to understand elites.

They sound like this when talking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_WUspniMo&feature=player_detailpage

I don't think I could pull a word out of there if I was given one, except maybe when they slow down to do their chanting.

I pulled out "Sangheili"

In Halo 4 they SHOULD know English, because they did in Halo 3. They didn't in Reach because it was a prequel to Halo CE and they didn't speak English in CE.

I'm fairly sure I read in one of the novels that they're actually speaking their native language all the time, he only difference is the level of auto-translation software in the Chief's armour. Noble Six didn't have it so he couldn't understand anything, Chief's Mark V Mjolnir armour had a basic version, and his Mark VI had a more advanced version, hence why in CE he could only understand the Grunts but from then on he could also understand Elites and Brutes.

• Like 1

They had better speak english!

I'm fairly sure I read in one of the novels that they're actually speaking their native language all the time, he only difference is the level of auto-translation software in the Chief's armour. Noble Six didn't have it so he couldn't understand anything, Chief's Mark V Mjolnir armour had a basic version, and his Mark VI had a more advanced version, hence why in CE he could only understand the Grunts but from then on he could also understand Elites and Brutes.

But how about when the Arbiter is talking to the Marines in H3? and when they talk to the regular elites and they dont have the armor

• Like 1

But how about when the Arbiter is talking to the Marines in H3? and when they talk to the regular elites and they dont have the armor

I'm not sure about that. Maybe Marines have some version of translation software as well - when the Elites are talking amongst themselves though (e.g. the discussion about how the Flood has evolved on the level 'Floodgate' on Halo 3) it wouldn't make sense for them to be speaking English, so something has to be translating for Chief.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about that. Maybe Marines have some version of translation software as well - when the Elites are talking amongst themselves though (e.g. the discussion about how the Flood has evolved on the level 'Floodgate' on Halo 3) it wouldn't make sense for them to be speaking English, so something has to be translating for Chief.

But in Halo 2, just about all your Covenant allies speak English when your using the arbiter. But I'm guessing that's just so we would feel more comfortable being the covenant

• Like 1

But in Halo 2, just about all your Covenant allies speak English when your using the arbiter. But I'm guessing that's just so we would feel more comfortable being the covenant

Very possible - imagine how hard it would be getting all your mission instructions in Sangheili!

• Like 1

I read this somewhere but I don't have a link. They have always been speaking in their own language. However, in Halo 2 and Halo 3 their language was translated into English so that we could comprehend it easier. You can imagine them speaking their own language.

Saying this, I cannot imagine why they would use both languages in Halo 4. That's quite peculiar.

Well in the E3 2012 Trailer, they had the Elite speak native covenant language, but the grunt spoke English. So i assume both languages will be heavily used ^_^

YES! Mark My Words, Humans, the return of Hilarity is here! Halo has comedy once more! REJOICE! The Humor is back in full effect! I always loved not taking Halo So seriously, so with the return of the Grunts, I'm inspired to be a wisecracker once again! Isn't humor great or what? It reminds you that you are playing a GAME, not a real war. That's why I love Unggoy so much. Thank you 343! You know how to handle your Alien Species!

I love hearing the grunts say "no they killed my brother".

YIPYAP! NOOOOOOOOOO! Awwwwwwwww! What do you guys HAVE against something so cute and adorable! HE WAS A CUDDLE BUDDY GOSH DARNIT! You mess with the Dawww, you mess with the Covenant. Need I say more? They're going to swarm you for your arrogance! I hope you realise what you did when you killed someone that went To Nipple academy with someone else!