Women in Videogames.

Coldfreeze

Hello everyone,

this morning I wrote an article about the backlash Ubisoft has been revieving after E3 for not including women in their next gen titles. I thought you guys would find it an interesting read as well so I am posting it here.

Women in videogames.

In the recent days of E3, Ubisoft has gotten overwhelmed with hate for not including female characters in their new games of Assassin’s Creed Unity and FarCry 4.

I can understand people want to see more female characters in an industry mostly reservered for the hardcore male action hero/macho characters.

But the backlash Ubisoft has gotten is wrong, in every sense of the word.

They are accused of discrimination, sexism and bigotry. Just for the fact they did not include a female co-op partner.

But does no one remember Activision, the company that said: “Hey look we have a female soldier now!” as if it was a new feature?

Or that almost every MMORPG has female armor which is purely focused on their breasts with giant cleavage?

Even Mass Effect a game praised for it’s story and engaging universe has females wearing armor which shape around character’s breasts.

But when Halo 4’s female spartan showed no distinctive female features, people complained, because she looked like a dude.

Almost every game to date has females shown as objects, damsels in distress or just plain weaklings.

But we are forgetting that some of the greatest heroes in gaming are female.

We have Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Sarah Palmer who leads an army of super soldiers, Zelda who can handle herself as a mage as well as a pirate. We have the sirens from Borderlands. Female characters in the Elder Scrolls series are assassin’s, warriors, leaders.

I admit these numbers are small compared to the male game heroes.

But all of these are more brave, strong and more deserving of the term hero than some of the male characters.

And now Ubisoft is experiencing crushing criticism for not including a female character, because their deadline is too short to actually include a well thought out, well written, well animated female co-op character.

We are looking at wrong company here, is all I have left to say.

Signing off.

• Like 8

While we may not know whether or not the unifying thought within every Ubisoft employee is to be sexist, we do have to understand that 'Not doing something' does not equate to 'Hating/Disliking/Lowering something'. That's the reason why this complaint is dumb in my eyes, and not because female characters already exist.

Not really related but in terms of discrimination and Ubisoft, here's an idiotic complaint people made.

>Far Cry 4 is racist as it depicts a white man oppressing a dark skinned man

Which, in itself is discriminatory if you're gonna call an asia white because of stereotypes.

• Like 1

Staff Response
If this topic gets out of hand it will be locked promptly.

I think the labels and such that are placed on game devs, movie companies, and even regular people... I think they are just plain idiotic. 

Not everyone is going to have the same view. It looks like this:

Winterville Co. Makes games with a lot of snow. Historically, every game has snow in it.

SummerFan0076690: I don't like the winter, stop making games like that! Snow makes all the teddy bears hibernate. :((((

Winterville Co. : We will not stray from our roots and we will continue making games with snow in it.

SummerFAn0076690: You are a bigot for not agreeing with my views! 

Winterville Co. : We respect all views, but we do not see Summer as the best fit for our games at this time.

SummerFan0076690: HATE SPEECH!!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! WOW WHY DO YOU HATE ME?!

BigManInCharge : Alright, Winterville Co, you need to include summer in your next game or else...

This is a very dumbed down version of what happens everywhere in real life. It is no different here. Ubisoft has a right to use male characters in video games, there are no requirements to include a woman lead in their games. They can do whatever the heck they want. 

It is disgusting and I personally do not like that people are being forced to agree with one another and bend to their every need.

• Like 4

1 Every other Assassins creed apart from Liberations and the little 1 hour on content in AC4 you played as a male and no one cared then.

2 Ac4 ps excusive content and Liberations and a little bit of AC3 you could play as a female.

This is just one of those things that makes no sense at all. :)