My Crazy Idea on how to breath under water!

I have no idea if this is reasonable. I am just putting out there because I thought about it.

So we all know that some animals have lungs, some have gills, etc. I also learned last year that some amphibians can breath through their skin since it is so thin. I thought this was cool then it occurred to me...

Is it possible through surgery to move the blood vessels closer to the surface of the skin, enough to absorb oxygen from the water?

• Like 2

Hmm, interesting idea.

The way the pores and membranes in your skin are, it would not likely work. They were never made to deal with water well. Plus, the oxygen levels required would be too high for just that process. That's why you don't see giant frogs around. Plus the blood vessels in your body cannot take any gas transfer of that manner. Cool idea, but sadly impossible... :(

If they thought this could be done it would have been tried, but like BraverKing said, it's impossible. What can be done is oxygenating the waster to such a high point that when you breath in the water, you are also getting the level of oxygen you need to keep alive.

Unfortunately this cannot happen, mainly due to the fact that as humans we are multicellular organisms and as every cell in your body requires oxygen, the oxygen that you obtain from respiration has to diffuse across into the cells which have a large surface area. Thus the oxygen will not reach the center of every cell as they are layered. If it were possible, we would need to spend much of our time in water as, for our size, we would lose way too much water and become dehydrated.

This does work for amphibians as they are small and have both lungs, thin skin and are constantly near water.