Since we have the time......

Absolute Dog

Have gone back into the closet, dug up my old XBOX and loaded CE, H2, and played a little to get that "old feeling". Then played some H3. This is what really brought back the memories and the feeling I used to get from the beginning and all the way through.

On all the games, the intro into the games were so warm with that Halo music. The graphics of the Halo symbols and the drop into the familiar menu. (Thank God the loads have gotten faster) It was the iconic Halo ring symbol that really pulled me in. It would be nice to have a similar experience with the loading of H4.

The menus were straight forward and easy to navigate. Ranked play here, social play there, and special play over there. There were comparative lists between social and ranked giving you a chance to try the game variant in a more relaxed social setting, then move into ranked play when you felt you were ready to take off the training wheels. It gave the casual as well as the hyper competitive their areas to play and enjoy.

The maps were mostly balanced and had so much atmosphere in them. They reflected parts of the campaign, but had there own qualities. Almost every single map was so fun to play on and the variety and style of the maps were perfect. Though there were places to camp, it seemed like it was covering a strategic area then camping a choke point with a shot gun and invisibility.

When you moved through the game you felt powerful, you could jump so high and endure very high drops to the ground, almost like you had little mini thrusters on you feet to dampen the impact. The weapons, man could you feel the difference from game to game, had continuity to them. Elites were not these towering figures. (Yes I know the actual story line) The feeling the maps gave you were so different from what I feel in Reach, plus you never got thrust into the dull, gray world of forge to play game on maps that sometimes hurt you eyes from all the multiple pieces being placed so tight together and creating visual glitch.

Duel wielding the small arm weapons reminded me of how it balanced out better against players who were crack shots with the BR and sniper. Grenade did not feel like the mini-nukes they have become. The Brute Shot would bounce and careen around. (Except for H3) The sniper had auto reload, not a distinct pause. These were a mix of weapons from the future and reliable ones, trued and tested in combat.

There can be so many ways Halo 4 could capture these nuances and still be a modern, enjoyable game. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, just give the progression of weaponry, ability and environment that will feel seamless with the trilogy of HCE-H2-H3. Plus, did I mention the music was so soothing and memorable that I can remember leaving the XBOX on and listening to it as I fell asleep. The load screens still pumped me up with their simple but memorable graphics.

I hope the developers, artists and designers frequently go back and play the campaigns and maps regularly for some inspiration. To be fair, there could be some inspiration found in the community forge maps as well. Forge not withstanding, some of them were structurally very cool and playable.

We all want something that brings back the old feelings and still is new to us, something new to figure out, improve our skill on a new weapon or two. There is only so much a game can offer and the standard is pretty high. Get to it 343 Ind., give us something we can, most of us, believe in, play and enjoy for years to come.

Post your most memorable moments from previous games.

• Like 6

in H3 i felt kinda depressed listening to the music. Me and my brothers agreed to decide on where we're going in the game and what we are doing as to get away from the sad music. now we liked the feel of the music in H2 and CE but H3 just made us sad everytime. The reach menu music is quite annoying actually, i find myself whisteling it in the middle of gameplay. which than makes me rage XD

in H3 i felt kinda depressed listening to the music. Me and my brothers agreed to decide on where we're going in the game and what we are doing as to get away from the sad music. now we liked the feel of the music in H2 and CE but H3 just made us sad everytime. The reach menu music is quite annoying actually, i find myself whisteling it in the middle of gameplay. which than makes me rage XD

Yeah, I forgot about the Reach music. It never seemed like the "Golden Oldies", lol!

Yea I missed the feeling of there's no hope, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel feel from halo 2!

yes thats what halo was about that feeling of hopelessness, and thats what imo reach didnt have with the execption of lone wolf and exodus(i think thats the level the one after long night of solice) to a lesser extent.

I liked those songs because they made me feel that we were their only hope and that it was mission impossible

Reach, the main purpose of the story we already new that the spartans would die because of halo 1,2 , 3.

So the sountrack probably went with that and so messing it up. Who over here liked the odst soundtrack fly by night

That was the soundtrack that played when the brute dropped from that phantom and rushed a blow at one of the odsts and...

I liked those songs because they made me feel that we were their only hope and that it was mission impossible

Reach, the main purpose of the story we already new that the spartans would die because of halo 1,2 , 3.

So the sountrack probably went with that and so messing it up. Who over here liked the odst soundtrack fly by night

That was the soundtrack that played when the brute dropped from that phantom and rushed a blow at one of the odsts and...

I'll have to go back and listen to it. I just can't seem to recall it right now.

• 2 months later...

This was the best way to put it. You said what my heart felt whenever I played. Now ifthey could put nore ofthe feeling, the campaign into online. Add in things like ships, glassing beams, and everything. Make it like Halo in all gameplay. Keep that same sensation forever in all gametypes.

(PS REACH does not classify as a Halo, it was like a tribute band, kinda good at first, then you realize that it is nowhere near as good as the orignial.)

• Like 2

This was the best way to put it. You said what my heart felt whenever I played. Now ifthey could put nore ofthe feeling, the campaign into online. Add in things like ships, glassing beams, and everything. Make it like Halo in all gameplay. Keep that same sensation forever in all gametypes.

(PS REACH does not classify as a Halo, it was like a tribute band, kinda good at first, then you realize that it is nowhere near as good as the orignial.)

I like the way you refer to Reach as a "tribute band". That is a nice way to put it. Appreciate the post Braver.

That was the point. Halo CE was the "Guns blazing, unstoppable force that was the Master Chief". Halo 2 made you realize that the Master Chief wasn't just some "Killing machine", but was in fact a person, with feelings. Halo 3 was the "End of the world, love story, fight for victory", and the music of each game depicts those emotions very well.

That was the point. Halo CE was the "Guns blazing, unstoppable force that was the Master Chief". Halo 2 made you realize that the Master Chief wasn't just some "Killing machine", but was in fact a person, with feelings. Halo 3 was the "End of the world, love story, fight for victory", and the music of each game depicts those emotions very well.

No doubt about it! He was once just a little boy named "Johnny"!

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this post earlier Braver, nicely put.

• 4 weeks later...

I have chosen to place my 1,000th post on one of my original threads that I started a long while back. I came back to read some of my early posts when I noticed I was at the 999 post mark. I still enjoy this one and you can see my love for the game, the music and the series here.

I would like to thank Twam for this wonderful forum he has built for us, Spectral Jester for being a good friend in the forums and his quiet, calm guidance and offering a quality and fun environment for us to enjoy, Vitamin PWN and John 117 for befriending me early on and helping to mold this site into what it has become. I miss some old friends like Valentine F and eliteultra who have moved on. Members like Twinreaper, Zed the Evil Taco and Egyptianghetto have furthered the experience of this site with all they have offered to all of us with their humor, insight, abilities and knowledge. DocSpartan O07 is now home from Iraq safely with his family and friends. There are too many others who are part of the soul and spirit of this forum and I want you all to feel my Halo love.

This site has come so far since I joined and has continued to flourish because of a membership that is unlike all others. Thanks for being part of and including me into the best damn forums in the cosmos!