The DMR, why it was a bad idea from the start...

ENP No Trace

Like most of you, I thought the DMR would make a wonderful addition to Halo. Honest to God I have never made a DMR complaint thread. Ever. However, after carefully annalizing Reach's gameplay and style, I've come to the cruel realization that the BR can really be the only true Halo mid range weapon. Why? I'll explain:

The DMR was going to be fantastic and eliminate the powerhouse (ucwhatididther?) of the BR. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Before I go on, do not tell me I'm bad, do not tell me I must adapt to Reach's gameplay. I'd consider myself a fairly experienced and skilled Halo player. But enough about me, let's talk the DMR. What's wrong with it? Simply, it placed the majority of Halos combat at a range it should not be played at. How do I mean this? The DMR is 75% of most players kills, correct? The BR played perfectly for how Halo was designed, difficult to use at long ranges, but skillfully played with at close to medium, where Halo should be played. With the addition of the single shot DMR, Halo's main combat range is now significantly longer than in all of the previous Halo games. This has detrimental effects on the game. Halo's combat must be played. the large majority of the time, at medium to close. The BR allowed this, the DMR does not.

The spread of the BR allowed for it's range to be kept safely at medium range. The DMR's "bloom" can be overcome easily by pacing shots. This still dosen't deny players the opportunity to pick people off from across Hemmorhage with the main weapon of the game. Also, the real-time mechanic of the BR in Halo 3 created better gameplay, while in Halo 2 the BR's spread compensated for it's hit-scan nature. The DMR simply dosen't work, and it's part of the reason Reach's population is so diminished compared to the other Halo games.

Ugh, more of these, "DMR sucks, I want BR back because I can't learn how to use a weapon that can hit people across Hemmorhage". DMR is great, deal with it. And I doubt people left because a gun wasn't in the game. That's sad if you leave for that reason. They left because the community "abused" everything they were given and they complain about everything.

Ugh, more of these, "DMR sucks, I want BR back because I can't learn how to use a weapon that can hit people across Hemmorhage". DMR is great, deal with it. And I doubt people left because a gun wasn't in the game. That's sad if you leave for that reason. They left because the community "abused" everything they were given and they complain about everything.

SilentCO1 you have just hit the nail on the head.

I beleive the word 'ADAPT' springs to mind :whistle:

The BR simply put, would not fit in halo: reach. Halo: Reach is slower-paced than halo 3 and it's more about taking time to kill someone. The BR was 4 bursts and you're dead, while the DMR is 5-8 (depending on if you spam and how good your internet is). Over-all, I think replacing the BR w/ the DMR was a smart move on Bungie's part because after having a set of weapons that's almost the same for 2 games it's time to change it up.

The DMR is 75% of most players kills, correct?

Incorrect. I love how people pull random statistics out of thin air. I just did the math and in competitive gametypes (excluding Invasion) the DMR only accounts for 23.2% of my kills. My friend Matt, whose playstyle is mostly long-range, has a DMR kill percentage of 23.5. The fact of the matter is that the DMR seems to play its own role (how Bungie intended it) as a suitable weapon for certain situations. You even mention the counter of using the DMR as a long-range weapon by saying that you have to pace your shots to combat the blooming sights. If you pace your shots properly to be able to effectively kill someone at long-range with the DMR and the other person doesn't find cover in one form or another, then that's on them. If you repeatedly fall to cross-map DMR shots, you need to second guess describing yourself as an experienced and skilled Halo player.

Yeah so like I ******* said I'm perfectly capable of doing well in Reach, I haven't left it, I'm a hero, and I'm not bad. My K/D is 1.54.

The DMR is the most balanced gun I've seen in Halo. Its suitable for any situation, but almost every other gun is better, unlike the BR where it was equal or greater than every gun in every situation. I think the DMR is one of the few good ideas Bungie put in Reach.

The thing that bothers me with the DMR is the bloom that's supposed to make it harder to use, so the autoaim doesn't get ridiculous. H2 is a good example.

I'd be happy to have no bloom but less auto-aim, the players who are good will hit more consistently than the average, and skill actually rewards a lot more than it does now.

I could not agree more with everything that was said in this thread. The DMR is a great weapon, hands down. Now if this were Halo 2 and not Halo Reach, then yes, the BR would be the dominate one.

The DMR is great at any range. Even when spamming shots, it takes skill at medium and long range to hit the target dead on every time. But there is something that is never mentioned in any of these weapon hate threads.....the players "hit box".

Depending on where you are hitting the player, all determines who is going to win any weapon battle, obviously beside rockets and such.... Think back to the good old days of H3 and H2 BR fights. Depending on who shot first, and who was able to keep their hits to the head only, determined who got the t-bag.

Judging from the poster, he fails to realize that head shots will always win over body shots, no matter how much skill you have. Besides from that, any experienced player should be able to compensate for the firing spread of a weapon (bloom) when spamming shots and playing long distance to close distance matches.

Oh, and before the poster decides to flame back some random numbers or bullsh** re-post, I am an old school modder. I have delved deep into map structure, tag structure, weapon mechanics, bsp..etc. I know what I am talking about and can always provide solid hard proof of anything I post. Where is yours? Magic numbers? That's not proof.

the DMR stands for "designated marksman rifle" its based on a rifle a designated marksman uses in the military basically he is stationed further behind the main assult force i pick of enemy foes I.e the purpose of the DMR your sposed to hang back and pick of the people that are attacking your teammates usin the assult rifles(also corectly named for its role) pistols and shotguns thats what it is for bungie was tring for a more of a military role for the player as with the armour abilitys the br wasnt carried over due to the unrealist military power it had

Guys, what he means is that the DMR is to good and easy to use for noobs. And he is right, that is why so many people is liking it. I would love the BR to return, but a little weaker.

And as for the DMR: We could change the reticule and make it bigger, and add extra headshot damage to it. And then we wouldn't need the bloom anymore.

I'm a bit iffy on agreeing with this.

The movement and weapon weight in Reach is a greatly changed from Halo 3.

When I first started playing Reach I noticed straight off the bat. Strafe's were a lot different. Next to Strafing doesn't seem to work.

Now if you take it to custom games. Where you can make it so Fall Damage is not. And Movement speed and jumping height is slightly increased. roughly to Halo 3. The DMR would become a great weapon I've noticed.

However the DMR is used really good at longer range where as a Br wasn't really good at longer range.. Having a DMR and BR. as your 2 weapons would be great on Halo 3 maps..

The add to the point. It seems easier to kill someone charging you with an AR with a BR then a DMR. Unless you Melee then Headshot him. Or Nade to his foot and Headshot him.

I agree with most of your aspects. I just don't right off the DMR. I like the weapon and it's probably the only weapon I can use to my best other then the sniper.

I'm a bit iffy on agreeing with this.

The movement and weapon weight in Reach is a greatly changed from Halo 3.

When I first started playing Reach I noticed straight off the bat. Strafe's were a lot different. Next to Strafing doesn't seem to work.

Now if you take it to custom games. Where you can make it so Fall Damage is not. And Movement speed and jumping height is slightly increased. roughly to Halo 3. The DMR would become a great weapon I've noticed.

However the DMR is used really good at longer range where as a Br wasn't really good at longer range.. Having a DMR and BR. as your 2 weapons would be great on Halo 3 maps..

The add to the point. It seems easier to kill someone charging you with an AR with a BR then a DMR. Unless you Melee then Headshot him. Or Nade to his foot and Headshot him.

I agree with most of your aspects. I just don't right off the DMR. I like the weapon and it's probably the only weapon I can use to my best other then the sniper.

Strafing works brilliantly because the dmr is a one shot weapon, if we had the br in reach then yes strafing would be poiontless.

The DMR isn't "Great". but only because of bloom. take bloom out and your good to go