advice please.

Hi, I am in the middle of my final exams and I have a good idea as to what my ideal career would be and that would be games testing, I have a good knowledge of what people would like in a game and I have played all manner of video games from an early age.

The reason behind this is to get a good idea as to what I need to learn/study in order to become a successful game tester/debugger. I would therefore appreciate any advice people could give me.

Well for debugging you are going to need a significant knowledge of coding. This is hard to pursue in high school, but you can start with math. If you are looking to get started i think ubisoft was accepting people to beta test some games for them ( i read it some where and i don't know if it is still going on). Also final exams in collage or high school? give some more information for us as well. :) happy hunting. 

I don't think there's a specific college course for that. I'd think general knowledge of programming and IT will get you in the right direction.

At least you know WHAT you want to do with your life which is already a big step.

Good luck! :D

Being a QA Tester for games isnt easy. You need to have some sort of tech background. Preferably a computer science degree(which isnt easy. Please make sure you know whats in store if you purse a CS degree since it isnt just for games but is very versatile). You also need to get some contacts and start getting some work experience in now. Any job is fine. Just get a job.

I assume you have to be 18+ to be a QA Tester too as well. QA Testing also doesnt pay well and is only a job for youngers unless youre some sort of designer too which wont happen unless you have a degree(Some of the Bungie PvP designers are also their QA Testers)

Your best bet is to just go to big name company websites like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc and ask how you can help test their game. Chances are they're going to give better  advice then us.

I should also add that a lot of development studios arent really focused on QA Testing(Thats more of a publisher thing). Rather the inhouse developers are now spending time to also test their game nearly as often as QA Testers used to(something Bungie and 343i do). QA Testing doesn't pay well either. You won't be able to support a family or own a house just from testing games. If you really want to play and debug games your best bet is becoming a developer. 

That doesnt mean any of this is unreasonable or a bad idea. Being a QA Tester also gives you a chance to earn higher positions within the company heck I've read stories of QA Testers eventually becoming lead designers.

Do what makes you happy. Research this and make sure you have backup plans ready just in case things go south. 

• Like 1