Netflix to offer Game Rentals

Spectral Jester

Netflix is poised to start offering video games rentals this autumn, with Co-Founder and CEO, Reed Hastings declaring that the company's mail delivery service and video streaming will be separated, and the new delivery service will exist under the slightly daft name of 'Qwikster'.

Video games will be added as an upgrade option, similar to the Blu-ray upgrade option, enabling customers to rent console games. "We realised that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses," Hastings wrote in a blog post, "with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently."

Below is a short video released by Hastings explaining the reasoning behind the decision to separate the Netflix streaming and delivery services along with newly appointed Qwikster CEO, Andy Rendich. No price changes are associated with Qwikster and charges for the service will be separate from Netflix charges. Qwikater will be launching in a few weeks.

I'm hoping this netflix thing will be better than gamefly, gamefly can be really hit or miss depending on where you live, which is why I stopped using gamefly, would just take way too long to get my order, at least double what it takes netflix, but that's just my experience and it does vary.

I'm hoping this netflix thing will be better than gamefly, gamefly can be really hit or miss depending on where you live, which is why I stopped using gamefly, would just take way too long to get my order, at least double what it takes netflix, but that's just my experience and it does vary.

Well you have to realize that Netflix is spread the same way that gamefly is, and will probably have the same problems that they do with shipping the games. Plus, gamefly has been around longer, so has more games than Netflix will when they finally start doing this.