Those moments in Halo

Ardent Prayer

You know those moments in the Halo series that would make you jump? (Don't deny it. It's happened to you) Like exploring the quiet, compact depths of the Cartographer and turning the corner and seeing a Zealot charge and yell at you with it's sword all of a sudden? How about the times where you "killed" a bunch of Flood at one point (343 Guilty Spark) and at the quiet part of the level you turn around behind you and a bunch of Flood you met at a point overwhelm you? Or the Grunt in the Autumn's dark interior that you ran into unexpectedly. I want moments like that to return. Events in levels that occur unexpectedly and don't see it coming. Halo CE and Halo 2 mainly. I kind of miss those moments from the games that will give me a small scare. I'm just saying that I would like to see these kind of moments back. What do you think?

1000px-1224973276_Zealot_zpsd0dc04e0.png

It seems like instead of jump scares, games are trying to give you constant goosebumps or just make things tense. While both are good to have, jump scares are the best. Halo 4 used tension too much, what with the Didact constantly scanning things and his spooky sphere doing... nothing. :/

The best source of jump scares are indie horror games like Amnesia or Slender, which then transform into goosebumps and fear. The moment you hear the door break down in Amnesia for the first time and you see some hideous creature enter the room, you're like "Oh God what is that thing?!" And then it starts to chase you... and you're defenseless...

I don't think that Halo will have many jump scares anymore, since the Flood has been and gone, and the Covenant are not that scary. The Prometheans have already been introduced, limiting their potential to be used as a jump scare element in the future.

It seems like instead of jump scares, games are trying to give you constant goosebumps or just make things tense. While both are good to have, jump scares are the best. Halo 4 used tension too much, what with the Didact constantly scanning things and his spooky sphere doing... nothing. :/

The best source of jump scares are indie horror games like Amnesia or Slender, which then transform into goosebumps and fear. The moment you hear the door break down in Amnesia for the first time and you see some hideous creature enter the room, you're like "Oh God what is that thing?!" And then it starts to chase you... and you're defenseless...

I don't think that Halo will have many jump scares anymore, since the Flood has been and gone, and the Covenant are not that scary. The Prometheans have already been introduced, limiting their potential to be used as a jump scare element in the future.

I guess the Elites could add a bit more terror to their behavior. Zealots for example, SPRINTING at you sword drawn, roaring, going through obstacles and doing anything to rip your head off. I just want somethings that will get me to panic for a few seconds.

I guess the Elites could add a bit more terror to their behavior. Zealots for example, SPRINTING at you sword drawn, roaring, going through obstacles and doing anything to rip your head off. I just want somethings that will get me to panic for a few seconds.

Didn't Bungie instill fear in the player in Reach by making the Elites overpowered? I hated fighting any sort of Elites because they were ridiculously strong in that game, and there were very few methods to counter a sword Elite. Gravity Hammer? Only appears when Brutes are in the level. Plasma Grenade? Only takes their shields down IF you're lucky enough to stick them, but that's nearly impossible thanks to their ninja-like reflexes. Shotgun? Pfft, doesn't even faze them.

A roaring Zealot would be scary, no doubt about it, especially in a situation where you're unarmed. You have to outwit the Zealot, or make sure that he can't find you no matter what. But once you find a weapon, it's payback time.

It's all about how they're integrated into campaign. Spamming invincible Elite monsters everywhere was NOT a good way to integrate Elites into Halo, as shown in Reach. In Halo 4 they're more realistic: strong offense, but lacking somewhat in defense and unable to score one-hit kills with a melee that has an outrageously large hitbox. In Halo 2, they're strong but you can bash their teeth out no problem if you can get close enough... unless they have a sword. Then you're doomed.

• Like 1

One of my favorite's was the elevator lift in Halo 2. The one where you ride the lift with the elites and kill waves of flood as they jump onto the lift, as you ride it to the top... Freaked me out back in the day.

I literally pee'd my pants when I turn around and get smacked into oblivion by a combat form.

Hmm Mine was in 

Halo 3. On the Level Cortana (everyone hates it for some reason) when I would try to speed run through with Invisibility... I would start to run out.....with pregnant forms... in front of me and behind me.... I was doomed....THEN ARBITER BE LIKE IMA FIRIN MY FLAMETHROWA

• Like 1

Although I like  being afraid at somepoints in the halo games it shouldn't be too much. I like it better if they make tense or beautiful moments in halo. Like the final fight in halo 4 or walking out into the open world for the first time.