Let's Rank The Halo Games

UncookedMoa

Salutations! Sure, there are already other topics created with similar subject as this one, but judging from my search, it's not exactly the same. They don't have a poll and it doesn't ask you to rank the games from best to worst and state your opinion. So I thought, why not?

(From best to worst)
1.) MY BEST GAME: HALO CE
WHY I CHOSE IT:
Personally, I choose Halo CE. Not only is it the game that started it all, it also has the best campaign among all Halo games in my opinion. It centered around a theme far darker than the later Halo games and featured lots of unexpected twists and turns. At first, you think Halo is a structure created b the Covenant, later revealed that it wasn't the Covenant, but actually the Forerunners. The next plot tiwst being the reveal of the Flood, a horrifying adversary. Then, you believe that Halo points at the Flood only and 343 Guilty Spark is seemingly your friend, however, Cortana then reveals Halo's true purpose, the biggest twist of the game. At the Truth and Reconciliation, Keyes is infected by a much larger Flood form (The Proto-Gravemind). And right when you'd activate the countdown and leave, 343 Guilty Spark barges in, another plot twist.

And despite the dark theme, comedy was able to

and still
. The interactions between Cortana and the Chief are hilarious and nothing that was even similar to the fun poked between the two are in later Halo games. It's completely absent.

Despite popular belief, Halo CE really doesn't star a robot with no emotion. Master Chief was very much a human character here. Capable of making mistakes and unable to save everyone. He doesn't talk much because he chooses to. The things happening around him are terrifying and he lost all of his team in the Fall of Reach. He's a broken soldier. It's only natural. And you can sense his emotions through camera angles and Chief's gestures. This is why Halo CE's story is so great. It's hard to notice this in Halo Anniversary, though, since apparently, 343 Industries didn't catch this sense of sadness when doing the motion capture and the camera angles are different.

The Flood were a force to be reckoned with. John-117 had to give everything he had to stop the entire Covenant Armada and the Flood. The ending of the game was perfect. It captures what real war feels like. You never get the feeling of victory. You just feel sad. Everyone died and you are the sole survivor. After all you've been through, you'll never be the same again. Nobody won. Everyone lost. And the soundtrack compliments this very well giving a feeling of loneliness. Nothing left but "Dust and Echoes". The war isn't over and you're already heavily affected. "I think we're just getting started." Halo CE was movie-quality storytelling inside a video game.

Since I played on the PC, there was multiplayer. The multiplayer was very fun and thanks to Custom Edition, I continue to play it today for custom maps and mods. Halo CE is really the core of what Halo is all about.

2. Halo Reach
Bungie really gave their all in Halo Reach. Campaign, multiplayer, forge, firefight. Everything of what Halo was about was all inside this package. Reach was strikingly close to Halo CE. However, it fell short on the characters, lack of plot twists and mystery. The characters were all monotone and I just don't care for them. There was also a lack of any spectacular event that we have come to get used to in the Halo games. The whole idea of Elite Zealots stealing data could've been given more attention and brought up front for a much more personal and suspenseful storyline. I can see the idea of Noble Team's struggles working well and it would help with the character development if this was how Reach had been. It would feel much more "special operations" and make you feel more relevant. Of course, that, alongside every other level that Reach had with huge epic scale battles and the eventual fall of Reach. But that would mean Reach needed an additional 5 levels. Yes, that's right. I thought Halo Reach required at least 15 levels in order to be effective. It really felt lacking and not devastating enough without those extra five. But Reach was a huge package nonetheless that was worth every penny with it's with wide array of features.

3. Halo 3
Somewhat disappointingly, Halo 3 was even more straightforward than Halo 2. Halo 3 seemed to be going for a "Lord of the Rings" approach, more of the journey and epic battles than anything else. I did enjoy the dark theme centered around the Gravemind and Cortana, though. The beginning is really lacking, but it serves for the build up for when the real action starts on "The Ark". The whole game has a great art design and I enjoyed the Arbiter and Master Chief meeting each other and how that was approached. This was meant to be a game about victory and the culmination of all events that started in Halo CE. And they did that well.

What I loved about Halo 3 the most was it's ending. It ended with a bang and really felt satisfying. The whole idea of putting Chief to sleep like a hero who will be awakened whenever he's needed was great. Not to mention the cryotube was where he also came out of in the beginning of Halo CE. And the music of the ending was a throwback to Halo CE's ending. It was here that Forge mode was introduced, but it was in very primitive form. Very frustrating now that we have Reach and Halo 4's Forge mode. Multiplayer was very fun, too. Personally, Halo 3 has the best multiplayer in the series, even up to now.

4. Halo 2
I loved Halo 2. But I have to admit, it was disappointing. The levels weren't as open as its predecessor and the theme it had was considerably lighter than Halo CE. It did shed some light on the Covenant, though and Arbiter's Broken Hero storyline was much better than Chief's side of the story in Halo 2. But I really expected a darker theme on Halo 2 with more plot twists, but Halo 2 ended up with a straight forward storyline. Halo 2 should have been about Earth and Master Chief's last stand. While Arbiter also gets his storyline which would involve the Halo ring and the Flood. I was caught by surprise for Arbiter's story. Unfortunately, when all the events start building up and more and more conflicts are created, the cliffhanger strikes.

Halo 2 was undoubtebly a broken game. But I liked it like that. There were plenty of glitches to discover and they didn't break the game and end up being unplayable. It was like a mystery and expedition game. Discover the glitches. Get out of maps. And don't forget the easter eggs. But I can't help but feel
had Microsoft not rushed Bungie. I like it too much so I feel like I'm doing it injustice by not including it in "top 3", but the game wasn't exactly a polished piece of work, so regrettably, I have to put the game here.

5. Halo 3 ODST
So much promise on a darker and much more challenging Halo game to rival that of Halo CE and Halo 3 ODST doesn't take the chance. I expected the ODSTs to have a health system similar to that of Half-Life 2 with the armor and health being pickups. That, together with inspiration from BioShock. The Covenant would be very menacing in a very hostile and open New Mombassa. I expected many plot twists and deep investigations. Oh well, I guess my expectations really were far too high. Thing is, it was tackling many of my favorite things in entertainment: Danger, suspense and mystery. I was really excited when Bungie mentioned all that. And turns out, those were a actually just a small part of the game.

Aside from expectations fallen short, well, Halo 3 ODST was still really good. It had great voice work, an incredible narrative, amazing soundtrack, great atmosphere, a huge "sub-open world" and likable characters. Unfortunately, it had monotone levels that screamed "DLC". Halo 3 ODST felt like DLC content forced into a full priced game. I loved ODST's ambition and what it was going for, but the levels and objectives really could've been better. All we got was what felt like side quests. None of the events felt very significant. But still, Halo 3 ODST has the best soundtrack of the entire series in my opinion.

6. Halo 4
This game held the most promise out of all the Halo games. A fresh start, an outline given by Bungie, a new company. Halo 4 ended up following the books to the core. Yeah, it could either be very good or very bad. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your stance, Halo 4 turned out to be "just good". It wasn't "very good", it was "just good". Nothing more, nothing less. Well, if you had zero expectations for Halo 4 and are just entering the series, it would be a very good game. However, Halo 4 lacked the sense of mystery. The Prometheans weren't as mysterious as the Covenant or the Flood because the art design wasn't as inspired. It really looked like Crysis 2's Ceph and Metroid's Space Pirates, in my opinion. They weren't Halo-like. But that isn't my main complaint with mystery. It's the environments and atmosphere. Dawn and Requiem did this very well, however later levels fall short on that. Personally, later levels felt lacking in that field. And Neil Davidge can't match Martin O'Donnell's music.

I liked how Master Chief was more open to emotion now that Cortana was in trouble and I like centering the conflict on rampancy, as this was a new style for Halo and made the story much more personal, just as Halo CE's and it involved many concepts used in the books. However, Didact just isn't a good villain in my opinion. He's an intelligent being whose sole purpose is to avenge the Forerunners and wipe out humanity to prevent them from attaining the Mantle. But this is the weakest villain in the series yet. Every villain so far was driven by belief and were insane. 343 Guilty Spark was to follow protocol as closely as possible and will do anything to protect his Installation. He believed the Halo ring was the only way to bring the Flood down. He even went rampant. Truth was a villain with a mission to fulfill a promise from the "gods" he believed in. No peace could be had until he could wipe out human heresy and activate Halo.

Tartarus was a weak villain. Didact is very close to a Tartarus-type villain. They both want power. But Tartarus is more effective as a villain, because he was Jiralhanae. Brutes are supposed to be simple-minded people and unpredictable. This doesn't work for an intelligent being like Didact. Didact is also careless. He failed to take notice that the Librarian changed Chief. Cortana noted "Your bio-readings are all over the map!" and Didact scans the entire station during "Composer" and he doesn't detect anything? Later he goes "You have not been composed! Such innoculation should not have been possible!" Your own fault Didact. Not to mention the other Forerunner character, Librarian, looks like a Star Wars character with her "hair" looking like Queen Amidalla from the Star Wars Prequel trilogy, something that I'd really want to forget ever existed. She's also the cliche "guide" that appears in movies and explains history that no one else could have and tells it in cliche art drawings.

As a result, the way 343 Industries approached the Forerunners made the game feel lighter and less involved. The Forerunners lacked mystery. It really had the potential, but 343 Industries really fell short on the Forerunners. I loved the conflicts on the human side of things. Del Rio giving orders, Master Chief disobeying, Cortana's rampancy. But none of these can overshadow the faults of the Forerunner characters as they really played minor roles (Aside from Cortana's rampancy, which was a huge thing in the story).

Halo 4 also had the feeling of the lack of content. This was because firefight was absent from the game. Not to mention many vehicles were cut out and we didn't get to ride Forerunner vehicles.

CAN'T BE COMPARED:
Halo Wars
Halo Wars is very unique in the series. I really can't compare them to the others. RTS games require a different level of complexity to the story and a completely different approach. I liked Halo Wars in a very different way to the rest of the Halo series. Stephen Rippy's soundtrack was very atmospheric and felt very Halo-like. He achieved Martin O'Donnell's feel, in my opinion. The whole game was from my favorite RTS developers Ensemble Studios, who previously worked on Age of Empires. Halo Wars was a very fun game. It's a simplified RTS that actually works for consoles. The storyline is more or less very predictable and at times re-using the plot twists in the original Halo trilogy. The villain was a Tartarus-eque villain and another Arbiter. I really enjoyed how the story set up objectives for the campaign it was all masterfully executed.

THE WORST:
Halo Spartan Assault
I doubt a Halo story can get any worse than Spartan Assault's nonsense storyline. Spartan-IV's given tablets to play "a small little game" for a history lesson? What are they? Kids? Oh that's right... They just want to make sure that "the ladies of Rio De Janeiro felt safe and secure" and Palmer thought Chief would "be taller". No wonder the UNSC treats them like that... And the whole interquel between Halo 3 and Halo 4 feels very unnecessary. Just pointing out the events that happened and not really fleshing them out. As for the game itself, well, Spartan Assault was fun and I enjoyed it very much. But it definitely is the most lackluster game in the series without a question.
  • Like 2

1. Halo CE - It started it all, and had the most INTENSE campaign ever, and the levels were huge!

2. Halo 3 - It improved upon what was already great with Halo 2. It added equipment which added more variety to the game, it was the first game with Forge mode and armour customization (i haz reconz!!!11one!!!eleven111) and concluded the war with the Covenant, and the great trilogy.

3. Halo 2 - It had amazing multiplayer modes, and added lots of new features that Halo doesn't seem the same without, like hijacking, duel-wielding, 1-50 skill-based ranking system, and playable Sangheli (aka Elites)

4. Halo 4 - Whilst it wasn't the best in the series, 343i's first entry to the series wasn't a half-bad one. It added some features, both good and bad but it took away some of the awesome features from Halo 2 and 3, like duel-wielding and in-game 1-50 skill-based ranking system. But it added the Mantis, custom loadouts (which I actually like, unlike most people), Forge features (magnets, duplication and highlighting, so you don't accidentally move the wrong pieces), Sprint (which is mostly disliked and I see why). It was a decent game, but it lacked the replay value of Halo 2 or 3.

5. Halo 3: ODST - This game would've been much higher on the list if it had more features and its own engine. Firefight mode makes its début, and you play as multiple characters, much like in Halo 2 (John-117 and Thel 'Vadam). But it falls short by having no original multiplayer mode, and a campaign that's shorter than you'd want it.

6. Halo: Reach - I feel like I'm the only one on this forum who isn't a huge fan of this game. It has some terrible weapons (The Assault Rifle wasn't nearly as good as the ones found in previous games, the Plasma Repeater had way too much recoil, and give me the Covie Carbine over the Needle Rifle any day), less challenging Firefight mode (Armour Abilities made it too easy, and I also disliked most of the maps), the maps were either dull Forge maps (Dull, because of the lack of colour; They're mostly grey.) or maps recycled from the campaign, same with Firefight. The Bloom made the game completely random at times and sometimes, people would win DMR fights by spamming the trigger, and getting lucky with their 5-shot kill. But I did like playing Custom Games and Forging. Some parts of the campaign were fun too, like the space combat but for the most part, the campaign was dull and depressing. Reach isn't a terrible game, it was just kinda disappointing compared to previous Halo games.

1. Halo Reach - Maybe not the most "epic" story, but still well done. Plus it had by far my favorite gameplay. A good challenging campaign, intense Firefight and multiplayer, and the best weapon variety I've seen in any game...ever. I actually liked Armor Abilities too. Plus the armor system was just pure awesome.

2. Halo 2 - No multiplayer, at least not anymore, but I've always been more of a campaign/co-op guy. And this was a great campaign. Tied for Halo 3 for best soundtrack, great story, and the biggest campaign challenge in any Halo game. I still had more fun with Reach on average, so that's why the second game is...second place.

3. Halo 3 - Most people say this game was too easy, but my play style puts it as a good challenge too. Its multiplayer was fun, but (takes cover) I actually prefer Reach's. Oh, and it had an extremely good story.

4. This spot is tied. Between Halo 4...and...Halo CE. Halo 4 had a great story in my opinion but the weapon variety was a joke, I didn't like a lot of the designs, and the campaign was too easy. Enemy AI was also mentally impaired. Halo CE, on the other hand...it may have been the game that started it all, but its atrocious physics, lack of weapons and characters, and poor enemy AI put it low on the list too.

Plus both of these games' multiplayer was boring.

I haven't played ODST, Wars, or Spartan Assault.

1. Halo: Reach- My first Halo game ever. Reach is what ignited my passion for Halo and what drove me to hunt down the other games on this list. I think my favorite part of Halo: Reach was the campaign. I loved playing as my own Spartan and fighting an alien race on a planet far away.

2. Halo 3- Actually the last Halo game I bought/received. I heard all about the hype surrounding it, and it definitely lived up to it. Great campaign, very satisfied with the way it was ended, very hard not to put this in first. Halo 3's matchmaking was by far the most balanced in my opinion (and pretty much everyone else's too lol) I probably have my best Halo K/D in this game.

3. Halo 4- I was satisfied with the final version of Halo 4. This game really was great, but it was incomplete at launch and by the time it was what it was intended to be the fans had already sold their copies. I love Halo 4's campaign, has fun (sometimes unbalanced) matchmaking, excellent forge, and though it doesn't have firefight, it does have Spartan Ops. I think petsonally think Spartan Ops was a wonderful idea, not a perfect substitute and definitely not set up the way it needs to be in Halo 5, but a great game mode none-the-less.

4. Halo 2- I never got to fully partake in the famed Halo 2 matchmaking, but I most certainly loved the campaign. I loved the feeling of being the Arbiter and trying to understand how he thinks, and what he's going through as he does the hierarchs bidding. Probably one of the best cliff-hangars ever to finish the campaign too.

5. Halo: Combat Evolved- The first installment of one of the greatest video game franchises of all time, and it's last on my list?? Yes, while Halo CE started it all, it most certainly doesn't surpass what it's sequels managed to accomplish. Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo CE, just not more than the other Halo games.

I didn't list all the Halo games as you can see, but I did rank the ones I have completed because those are the only ones I can give a good solid review and ranking.

Also, very nice topic Uncookedmoa, very fun to respond to. :clap:

1. Halo CE

2. Halo 3

3. Halo 2 

4. Halo 4 

5. Halo 3: ODST

6. Halo: Reach

I understand your points. Halo 4 was really, really good. But I just had my own story for Halo 4 already planned out in my mind and 343 Industries wasn't as ambitious as I wanted it to be. Didact was also a weak villain in my opinion. But the Halo games never really put the villains this upfront before, so I applaud them for the effort. I do like the faster pace that 343 Industries managed in the gameplay, though.

I entirely agree with you on ODST. Incredible game, just too short and objectives are far too simple. I can understand why Halo Reach is last on your list. The weapons, admittedly, just don't feel as satisfying as the weapons in past Halo games. I also understand how it was disapointing. The characters were cardboard cutouts and you don't feel a strong sense of urgency. It just doesn't feel apocalyptic enough. I was very disappointed too and I understand how Reach's maps feel very plain. Especially for Forge World. But I'd say the same for Halo 4 for the forge maps. Halo 4 doesn't have nice colors.

1. Halo Reach

2. Halo 2

3. Halo 3

4. This spot is tied. Between Halo 4...and...Halo CE.

I haven't played ODST, Wars, or Spartan Assault.

I understand why Halo CE would be last on your list. A lot of features that were added in later Halo games really contribute to the gameplay and the AI is definitely terrible. I understand how the gameplay would be boring. But the thing is, that isn't what makes Halo CE great. It's the atmosphere and dark theme. I guess you're the gameplay type of person. It's also a very nostalgic game, though. Perhaps you just lack a nostalgic feel for Halo CE. As for Halo 3, the thing is, yes the story was very good, but it takes a very long time just for it to start being suspenseful. Halo 2 was amazing, but replaying the game again, I realized that it really feels unfinished and the ending shows just how rushed Bungie were. If only Microsoft gave them more time, it would easily be #1 on my list. I understand how Reach is on top. It's really the most feature filled Halo game with the most things packed into one disc.

I agree with you on Halo Reach.

1. Halo: Reach

2. Halo 3

3. Halo 4

4. Halo 2

5. Halo: Combat Evolved

I understand why Combat Evolved would be last. The AI is terrible and the features really feel lacking in comparison to the later Halo games.  Yes, Halo CE didn't manage to accomplish more than what later Halo games had done, but it really had a much bigger impact. And it explored incredibly dark themes. Later Halo games are more interesting, I agree with you on that, but they just aren't as depressing or dark as Halo CE's story was. And the later Halo games lacked plot twists. They were just too predictable. Halo CE surprised me at every turn. Try playing it back in 2003, you'd understand the shock. Now, everyone knows Halo's story, so it really isn't as suspenseful anymore with the Halo ring's purpose and the Flood already understood by many thanks to their reappearance and being explained once again in Halo 2 and 3

As for Halo 2, seeing that Reach was your first game, you really don't know how bad the cliffhanger was. Good for Microsoft, sure, it builds anticipation for the next game and guarantees sales. But bad for the audience. Things just started getting suspenseful and we just got the story cut right then and there. I really thought "That's it? That's the end of the game?" The ending was incredibly unsatisfying since Halo 3 wasn't there to complete the story. We had to wait three years just for Halo 3. You think it's a good cliffhanger, because you get to play Halo 3 immediately afterwards. But try thinking how you'd think of it had Halo 3 not been there and you had to wait 3 years for the story to continue. Bungie admitted themselves that Halo 2 had a terrible ending. It's nice now, with Halo 3 out, but back then, it was terrible.

I understand how you'd like Halo 4. I enjoyed it a lot too, but I already had a near-complete vision for Halo 4 in my mind. Seeing you played Reach first, I can really understand. You didn't have that much time to think about what the "legendary planet" at the end of Halo 3 was and what would happen when Chief got there. The pieces just didn't fit in quite right to me.

Spartan Ops was great, but I generally find the Spartan IVs to be annoying characters. Sure, they work if they were marines, but these are Spartans. Sure, they enlisted rather than being kidnapped, but at least don't make them go "We just wanted to make sure the ladies of Rio De Janeiro felt...safe and secure." That's just arrogant. They should really take pointers from Halo 3 ODST's characters. But, seeing as you haven't played it yet, I can't really go further than that and spoil you just in case you plan to play it.

I agree with you on Halo 3.

Also, very nice topic Uncookedmoa, very fun to respond to.  :clap:

Yeah, I really thought it would be fun.

By the way, I really can't say that I "hate" any particular Halo game. Every Bungie Halo game was my favorite. The way they're listed in my list was actually very difficult for me to decide. They're that close to each other. I'd say that they're mere millimeters apart from each other. Even Halo Wars was my favorite. Halo 4 and Spartan Assault are very enjoyable, but they just lack the Bungie touch in my opinion. If you ask me, Ensemble Studios managed to give something strikingly close to the Bungie touch. Or maybe that's just because I love RTS games. I was never a fan of Console RTS games, but Halo Wars showed me how it should be done.

Although I still think Halo Wars should've been on PC, so that it could've been like this:

The version of Halo Wars above was much more complex, much better to look at and seemed to use more strategy. But I don't see that working very well on consoles, hence why they changed it. If only it was on PC, they could've kept all those things above. Despite how well Halo Wars works on consoles, that doesn't change the fact that RTS belongs on PC.

• Like 2

Actually, Halo CE was my first Halo, and while I am a gameplay type of person, I knew nothing of Halo besides "Armored humans vs evil aliens" before I played it. I do lack a nostalgic feel for it, probably because I haven't been into Halo for as long as most people on this site have. Every plot twist still came to me as a surprise.

I actually preferred the tone of the other Halos, Halo CE (at least to me) seemed to be simply following the trend of most old games with a serious tone, that trend being...general loneliness.

1. Halo CE
  2. Halo: 3
  3. Halo: Reach
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo 3: ODST
  6. Halo Wars
  7. Halo 4

I haven't played Spartan Assault, but I'm getting the impression that I'm not missing out on very much. It was pretty hard to rate these. I love every game I've played in the franchise. Halo 4 earned my #7 primarily due to its poorly written, poorly executed plot. I pressed the start button already being emotionally invested in the characters from the three truly fantastic games before it. If Cortana died in Halo 3, I probably would have been quite sad. Cortana's "passing" in Halo 4 wasn't the saddening and somber moment it was intended to be for me. I've also seen way too many movies to know that she'll be coming back. The campaign already fell to a lot of cliches, so I don't doubt that 343's storytellers will find an excuse to bring her back.

• 2 weeks later...

1.Halo CE

Loved the Campaign levels, the dialogue, the enemies were fun to fight and the scary flood music. I still play it!

2. Halo 3

Introduced new modes and did them well. Muliplayer was sexy

3. Halo 2

Was good they brought the brutes and new weapons. The elites were not fun to fight but! They were playable! :D Campaign was good and the Muliplayer was good too. It had glitches that were fun but Im not giving credit for it.

4. Halo ODST

Had the muliplayer of Halo 3 but the campaign was alright with corny dialogue and wierd music. Though it had Firefight and it was challenging! Flood were gone but its okay should have at least put them in firefight

5. Halo Reach

Good game but brought Armor Abilities, and no dual wielding as well as no elites in matchmaking except Invasion. Your spartan was small as hell and the armor was good but there was no lighting in the game giving your armor no shine. Muliplayer maps were part of levels from Campaign. By the way the campaign was good but all the covenant were wierd looking

6. Halo 4

This was the worst thing ever created! Campaign was okay but all the AI bots were downgraded, introduced annoying prometheans, and the boss was a QTE! >:( The armor in the game was so skinny and wierd looking, and they gave the game TOO much lighting. Then there were loadouts, perks, ordances and because of this vehicles are nothing and theres no balance. They introduced killcams (COD) nothing against it, but at least fix it! Replaced Infection for Flood which doesnt even make sense. The music was worse than ODST like when you start up a match. Changed the audio for pretty much everything. The gravity hammer is UGH. The menus of the game were bland and UGH too. Then no Firefight! why? No theater for Campaign either! I dont understand! Introduced Spartan Ops but they were usually the same maps including some muliplayer maps. I loved the new Forge Abilities though.