Halo 5 Soundtrack, What we Want.

What Soundtrack should inspire Halo 5?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Soundtrack do you Prefer

Soundtrack. This is important. Very important. The campaign could have been a lot better if 343 didn't change the amazing music. First of all I will tell what is wrong with halo 4's soundtrack. Well, I am not saying that it was bad, but it definitely didn't sound like halo. Most songs sounded like it could be out of any movie. Not to mention the menu music that sounded like the lady was dying made me want to start a game as fast as possible. There were times when it shined, but not as brightly as well halo 3 music. You must bring in the humming monks, piano and electric guitar in songs like one final effort, mjolner mix, never forget, etc. The music plays a big part in the feeling of halo that most of us say is gone. Just finish the fight!

Please leave your thoughts below.

• Like 1

the soundtrack in any type of visual media stimulates the emotions of a person better than the visuals themselves. The tone of the music does so much subconsciously in our heads, and most people don't even recognize it. A soundtrack is simply overlooked because the player relies on their sense of sight more than hearing, but its effects are evermore present. 

I will say that 343i did a good job with the music in the final mission of the campaign, when you have to go between the floating platforms to plug cortana into all of those slots. I got goosebumps when i played through that part, and it started to feel like halo again for a few moments. One thing they have to do though, is take out all of the auto-tuning that they did to the people's voices

I don't think Halo 4's music was that bad, most tracks were good, some were amazing, and some were kind of meh. The first time I played, some of the music didn't feel Halo, but later on I've got used to them and they don't feel so odd anymore. It wasn't quite as original though. Not a single track sounded like it could be from any random action movie, but some were close. I don't necessarily want them to just copy the original trilogy's style, I want them to have their own style, and in my opinion, they did.

Just me or is it weird how a violinist moves around when they play? I'm learning keyboard and I don't bob my head like a turtle when I play. Maybe it's my lack of deep emotion.

Back on Topic, I agree with you all so much. Music affects the emotion of the player so much that if it's not done right it can almost ruin a fealing of immersion and atmosphere within the game. From the monks chanting to the tribal drums in Reach, all of these are amazing examples of how to control what kind of setting you're in and immersing the player within the universe and the story.

A good example is the dramatic flurries of sound in Aliens: Colonial Marines. Although the game itself was awful, at least the music was well done and in retrospect, I recall fealing much more immersed due to this.

A bad example is CoD at times. Playing high action pulse pounding music during stealth segments does not work at all. None more will be said about that.

I agree Halo 4s music is... Not the best.

I must agree with the Colonial Marines thing that Zach said, that soundtrack was amazing in contrast to the game, and felt right when compared to James Horner's soundtrack in Aliens.

Anyway there is only six songs in the Halo 4 soundtrack that really stand out for me, they being: Belly of the Beast,117, the Never Forget remake, Immaterial, Legacy, and the techno like track that plays when you first gain control of chief on Requiem. These tracks really capture the epicness of Halo, but are totally beaten to death by the sheer scale of previous soundtracks, namely Halo 3. There was just something about Marty's score in that game that was truly amazing. It is the only soundtrack that just gives me, (and a lot of other people, judging from the comments on Halo 3 videos) a really bad case of goosebumps. The main menu music that was a slight re imagining of the classic monk chanting just gets to me every time. Even though this saga or trilogy isn't about finishing the fight, they totally shouldn't abandon the soundtrack from previous games. 

Just for comparison here is the Halo 3 Main Menu Theme, and the Halo 4 Main Menu Theme.

Halo 3

Halo 4

Or for a better example Halo 3's Finish the Fight vs Halo 4's Nemesis, two songs that start soft and end loud from each OST.Which sounds more epic, and more Halo like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCsP9dkkuI

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree wholeheartedly. A new soundtrack for a new game. Each soundtrack is great in its own way. Each soundtrack sets the mood for its respective game. I think that Halo 4's soundtrack was indicative of the game as a whole. Where H3 felt intensely of awe and finality, H4 had anger and loss. It is darker, grittier, and less hopeful than any other score we've heard so far.

Halo 4 is good. Halo 4's soundtrack is good. H4 wasn't made by the developer we know and love. H4's soundtrack wasn't composed by the man we know and love. H4 is not my favorite Halo, but is still absolutely good. H4's soundtrack is not my favorite, but I'm absolutely looking forward towards the next installment.

• Like 1

Yes halo 4 was good, and the soundtrack was good too. But I would love to hear some familiar beats and instruments used in past games. They are what halo is, and classic instruments and songs must stay or it would be like removing the needler and plasma pistol. I too would love to see something new but it should be halo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Halo: CE's soundtrack was mixed in my opinion, not exceptional in terms of the aesthetic value, but fantastic when it came to mood-setting.

As much as I loved Halo 2's gameplay, the music, I think, was too serene, particularly at the climax. The music that played in the control room antechamber while you fought a large group of Brutes was gentle and peaceful. The music that played during the battle with Tartarus was more mood-setting with the "pounding heartbeat" effects, but still felt too sedate for me.

Halo 3's soundtrack was excellent. It set the mood perfectly while more like a movie soundtrack than Halo 2's soundtrack did and was therefore more thrilling. 

Halo 4's soundtrack, I think, was not quite as good at mood-setting as Halo 3's, but still very good. In terms of how thrilling it was, I think it's on par with Halo 3 at the top.  

I wasn't comparing their quality so much as I was their context. Mausoleum Suite didn't fit the battle with Tartarus as well as 117 fit flying along the hull of the Mantle's Approach.

Hard to say which is better out of the two, but I think I have a slight preference for Mjolnir Mix over 117. 

• Like 1

117 was really great with the space flight. I think 117 was the only song that stood out in halo 4. It should definitely return as well as classic halo. I too enjoy mjolnir mix more than 117, but it's close.

Might just be me, but Immaterial was amazing, too, particularly when it played during the level "Composer". I think it sounds like screams and is one of the few pieces of game music that I found, well, unnerving. 

I just played the covenant mission on halo 3. The soundtrack is amazing and amplifies the battles intensely. Play that mission and you'll know just how weak halo 4's soundtrack really is. The music in The Composer was really good but does it's tone still ring in your head. Now think of past halos and the soundtrack that plays in your head as you humm along and bang on your desk to the beat of the masterpiece.