Xbox One - Family Library Sharing

DoctorB77

Xbox One game libraries can be shared with non-family members

microsoft-xbox-one-4892_610x407.jpg

Well it seems that PS4's bombardment on the Xbox One's inability to share games has now changed. We now know of "Family Libraries" which allows for "family members" to share games with each other. This means that if you have a friend then he can play your games and you can play his. Read this article below which tries to explain this.

Xbox One may not be as heavy-handed with content restriction as it first appears, according to some new chatter from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer. He has said in a new interview that players will be able to share their game library with people outside their household.

Now, don’t take the above paragraph as some kind of all-forgiving about-face on Microsoft’s restrictions so far, but what Spencer has said does seem to cool the flames a little, although they’re far from doused.

It was recently confirmed that Xbox One will allow users to share their library of games with up to ten family members, but as it happens those people don’t have to be in your family. At all.

Speaking with Penny Arcade, Spencer said, “I think the policy makes sense.

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family. And I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that.

“I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said ‘Hey be a part of my family’. No birth certificates will need to be sent in. I do think that’s an advantage of the ecosystem that we have.”

There’s also confirmation that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files in your library simultaneously, but it’s unclear if this will apply to full games or not.

What’s your take on the above?

So what do you guys think? Does sharing games with your friends and "family" sound awesome?

Here is what I know. I buy a game, a music CD, a wrench, a fan, a cup, a car, a power tool.......it's mine, period. I own it and nobody tells me how to use it, share it, with who or how many people. I purchase items, not pay a licensing fee with restrictions when it comes to actual merchandise. If you give in to this ideal, it will become a standard, with the restrictions initially given, in the future. 

I really hope that consumers can actually see through all the words and see the implications of this type of policy.

• Like 3

this is why i'm not going to buy a xbox one... I'm thinking about the future here not currently. Lets just say xbox one is a hit. with all these features. But what happens when we are 2 consoles in and the xbox one service is going down... What will happen to your games?  Of course they will be gone forever this is a huge problem for me. i have my NES SNES and all of my system and games for my kids or w/e i'm rdy to hand down my consoles to them and such so they can understand gaming but what microsoft is doing is ruining it in the future for games. i really think everyone should atleast wait. 3-4 months to let the bugs come out of the broken console and to just not buy it.. Xbox cares about cash and if they see there plan failed they will easyly change these features because there very easy to change. So just wait we all know the console wont be flawless from day 1 anyways. i hope xbox one fails because i do not want this kind of gaming if i buy the game its mine for ever 10 years down the road i can play it again instead of worrying about if the  xbox one internet will close and my games will be gone because you always need internet.

my 2 cents.  i'm not caring about my gaming needs as much as i'm seeing the future. if you want a future where basicaly each new xbox is like a  big MMO that when its closed its gone forever then thats one big waste of money and unfair to future generations.

what happens when they figure out how to do this with music and movies all because of what microsoft did?

Edited by TornadoFlame
  • Like 1

Totally agree with this guy ^ . What will happen when they decide to eventually drop Xbox One? I wont be able to play all the games I have accumulated. Xbox 360 I can just pop a disc or even on demand and play it once the service is done. I take physical over digital almost any day. I understand that digital has plenty of benefits but I dont think its worth it with all the dam restrictions we are getting with the Xbox One.

Edited by Real Talk