Banned? Quitting too many matches? What?

cjsaxman

Ok let me start first of all by saying I am a Halo Veteran, I've been here since the first Halo, where we all had our Xboxs hooked playing system link multiplayer at LAN parties.  I missed Reach (my 360 got a ring of death and I waited awhile to replace it).  I finally gave in and bought another to get in on Halo 4.  I've been playing it for about a month.  I have paid for an Xbox live membership as well as all the DLC maps.

I am just randomly playing today and bam, I get this message that says "one or more members of your party are banned from matchmaking"  so I'm thinking it's some glitch.  I back out and get back in and it tells me I have to wait an hour for quitting too many matchmaking matches.  First of all, in the several hours I had played today, I think I only quit 2 matches.  One of them was because I had gotten an important phone call, another was because I got thrown in mid-game in a terrible match where my team was losing and didnt want to waste the time.

I'm glad to see there is a penalty for dropping games.  I wouldn't mind if they did like Halo 3 and just had you lose some experience for quitting, but making me wait an hour not to play?  I don't have alot of time to put into this game, I am a busy adult, so when I do have the time to set aside for Halo, I like to make it worth it, and this kind of screws me over on that.  Secondly, I have forked so much money into the Halo franchise by buying Halo 1, Halo 2 and the map pack that came out later, Halo 3 and all it's DLC, the Halo 1 Anniversary and Halo 4 and it's DLC, not to mention all the money I dumped into Xbox live memberships (I played alot heavier during Halo 2 and 3).  It's kind of lousy to crap all over someone who's been so loyal to the franchise.

And you do expect us to believe that baloney?

Oh wow, that's REALLY helpful. Let's just accuse someone of lying because we don't understand why this has happened to them and are too lazy to find out, but are also so egotistic we feel the need to comment anyway instead of just staying shut up.

OT: Unfortunately, there's not really anything you can do about it. Longtime loyal fan or not, you've got to consider that what you do in-game affects other players, too: other players who've paid just as much money as you for this particular game, and who are just as entitled to a good round of matchmaking as you are: by quitting, you're hurting that experience for them, and while the resulting ban is probably on the harsh side, it's a pretty good deterrent.

Sometimes life does get in the way, and that sucks, but at the end of the day all you've lost is an hour of a video game that will still be there tomorrow and the day after. Plus you've got to remember, it's much better to have a system where you can't basically just bribe your way past the rules than one where giving handing over money gets you an advantage. Just because you've been with Halo for a long time doesn't give you the right to hurt someone else's game: how would you feel if every game, someone on your team would quit leaving you a man down, and that these people wouldn't be punished just because they'd spent money on it?

I've also heard that there are much harsher bans for quitting multiple matches in a very short space of time than it if you quit often, but fairly spaced out. It's possible that you've just fallen afoul of one of these bans: if so, it probably won't happen again as long as you try not to quit multiple games in a row in the future.

• Like 2

Response to the OP:

I agree, the bans have gotten more serious since Halo 3, but Halo 4's ban system is much more generous to players than in Reach. In Reach, if it blackscreened lagged out, you were booted, or quit within half hour, you got banned for an hour, and then the bans were cumulative in that day.

Frankly, I have had major connection problems recently and have quit many games in a row. I have received 2 bans in Halo 4. Both after quitng  4 games in a row (come on, join in progress in a slayer game with 5 kills left and I'm Ion the losing team) I play with friends who repeatedly quit, and do not get banned. I find it hard to believe that you were banned for the above reasons. You may have had multiple games you quit in a row, plus additional behavior (ie betrayal and being booted) to have been banned. 

Well, I dont want to start getting rude but,

there is a limit to how many matches you quit.

They cant see why you quit the match for all they care

you could be quitting the match for losing the game, just quitting

because of the map choice etc. They dont want to be rude

it is just what they have to do to teach everyone a lesson to stay in the match/map they

are given. If you dont want this to happen again dont quit any matches.

Well if you genuinely only quit a couple then something is wrong.

I think you at least deserve credit for a reasonable forum post! I probably am a similar sort of player to you, in age and halo experience. Getting banned for an hour would annoy me when I only have an hour to play. But I have quit more than that (not that I do it lightly) and not got banned.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...