When will they bring back live action ranking

Enplosion

Hello Halo world I thought I'd bring up a topic that floods the chat world online every time I get online to play Halo. That topic is why have they not brought back live action ranking? Why did they stop after Halo 3? I always loved the live action rank you knew who you where playing and how good they were when you saw their rank. Now you see a player high in level and the first thing that comes to mind is "that person plays a lot". You never had to look at someones service record to see how good he was you saw it by his rank.You saw a 5 star general you knew you were gonna get your butt kicked if you werent as good. Now ya you can be a sr130 and have a -3k k/d spread and just plain suck at the game and another with a +3k k/d spread that can take a whole team on. Its a big piece of the game that i feel has been missing since halo 3, its what made the game different from the other FPS (first person shooters) online today. Now it seems theyve just blended with the norm instead of keeping that one of a kind ranking system that brought so much attention to halo. Why not add a ranking system to the levelng? Ya you could be a sr130 but you ranked a sergeant grade3 or a level sr100 but you ranked a general grade2. See they can keep the xp points going but have a ranking system that shows how good you are in game and will put you with people in that rank. Well thats my little rant on this subject, add in your opinions on this subject or what you would like to see in means of a ranking system.

They should put it right under your sr level or if you select the person it should show it there. At least there getting the idea of making it again thats what made me always wanna play to get my ranking up. But hopefully they will work something out for halo 5.

Just look at k/d ratio then.

Funny thing is. As soon as any rank system is out you gonna have people coming to this board in hordes pleading 343i to remove it. You'll also have all these multiple accounters, and derankers flooding online. So, you people have no idea what you're wishing for really.

Well its coming in april apperantly but for some rediculas reason you have to view it in waypoint so its really not gonna be much use :-(

As long as it's doing its job (getting you matched against people of a similar skill level) does it really matter where you have to look at it? In fact, why does it even matter that you can see it at all? As long as it's doing its job, and you're getting good games, why does it matter if you can see it or not?

I suppose, I just wanted it for bragging rights but to be honest I can't imagine mine will be setting the world on fire! I'm sure not showing it will have the advantage of not encouraging the selling of acounts I keep hearing so much about. I've never understood buying acounts with higher rank than your skill level why would you want to only to get put in matches with players who are going to own you...... Silly really.

As long as it's doing its job (getting you matched against people of a similar skill level) does it really matter where you have to look at it? In fact, why does it even matter that you can see it at all? As long as it's doing its job, and you're getting good games, why does it matter if you can see it or not?

why when you take a picture of yourself for facebook its your best and not some random ugly one? if i earn my rank i wanna beable to show it to everyone.

I suppose, I just wanted it for bragging rights but to be honest I can't imagine mine will be setting the world on fire! I'm sure not showing it will have the advantage of not encouraging the selling of acounts I keep hearing so much about. I've never understood buying acounts with higher rank than your skill level why would you want to only to get put in matches with players who are going to own you...... Silly really.

in a way its about bragging rights buts its also about making sure you can go look at the others guy rank and compare him to yourself to see if you improve. if i can't see the other teams rank i have no idea if there good or not. what if i blow them out of the water, i can't see there rank so ill feel the ranking system is broken.

my thing is i'm not sure i care about  the ranking system no more I just wanna beable to hear the other team before and after the match i want some social interaction so i can make friends when i play not this. play they leave game with no word find another match no one interacts again over and over it's like 343 has tricked us and i'm just playing bots.

why when you take a picture of yourself for facebook its your best and not some random ugly one? if i earn my rank i wanna beable to show it to everyone.

My Facebook profile picture is for showing people what I look like. My skill ranking is for finding matches against people of the same skill. Besides, nobody cares about ranks, they care about how well you play in any given game. When I first got Halo 3, I used to regularly beat up 40s and 50s who were really terrible, and get beaten up by people who hadn't even got to 10. The number next to their name doesn't mean a thing next to how well they do when they're in-game with me.

Besides, if it's really that important to you, it's far better that it's on Waypoint and not in-game. That way people can go straight from browsing Facebook to being impressed by it, instead of having to turn on their Xbox, sign in, load the game, and then find your profile and look up your service record to see it. In a way, it's more convenient.

"in a way its about bragging rights."

Vanity at its finest.

Check!

"Comparing to others..."

A need to compare epeens.

Check!

"How will I know if they're good or not?"

An inability to determine skill level beyond what a digital number represents.

Check!

So, in short, an arrogant individual that demands recognition and respect based on a number under their name. If it cannot be seen, then not only is it worthless to have, the individual also suffers the impairment of not being able to judge a like-minded soul, even though they will almost certainly become aware of the opponent's skill level once the opponent is engaged in-game.

Sounds like the common ********* with a bad superiority complex, and further coupled with a severe sense of entitlement.

Yup, sounds like a "Hardcore, Competitive" player; If they aren't complaining about the "OP Assault Rifle" or circle-jerking each other in regards to their "L33T 5Kills", they're crying about an "invisible" rank system.

Go figure. You'd think they have lives of some sort, or at least something more important to worry about than whipping out their virtual wangs like a bunch of adolescent primitives looking for confirmation of their supposed "greatness".

Guess not. : /

"in a way its about bragging rights."

Vanity at its finest.

Check!

"Comparing to others..."

A need to compare epeens.

Check!

"How will I know if they're good or not?"

An inability to determine skill level beyond what a digital number represents.

Check!

So, in short, an arrogant individual that demands recognition and respect based on a number under their name. If it cannot be seen, then not only is it worthless to have, the individual also suffers the impairment of not being able to judge a like-minded soul, even though they will almost certainly become aware of the opponent's skill level once the opponent is engaged in-game.

Sounds like the common ********* with a bad superiority complex, and further coupled with a severe sense of entitlement.

Yup, sounds like a "Hardcore, Competitive" player; If they aren't complaining about the "OP Assault Rifle" or circle-jerking each other in regards to their "L33T 5Kills", they're crying about an "invisible" rank system.

Go figure. You'd think they have lives of some sort, or at least something more important to worry about than whipping out their virtual wangs like a bunch of adolescent primitives looking for confirmation of their supposed "greatness".

Guess not. : /

sports has bragging rights to i assume you dislike all things that have some sort of competition? you can play basketball to have fun or you can play it competetively.

The number system is a Very effective ranking system If they can make a better one where i feel like i'm improving yet know what skill level i'm on with everyone else ill be happy the 50 system was just a amazing system.

My Facebook profile picture is for showing people what I look like. My skill ranking is for finding matches against people of the same skill. Besides, nobody cares about ranks, they care about how well you play in any given game. When I first got Halo 3, I used to regularly beat up 40s and 50s who were really terrible, and get beaten up by people who hadn't even got to 10. The number next to their name doesn't mean a thing next to how well they do when they're in-game with me.

Besides, if it's really that important to you, it's far better that it's on Waypoint and not in-game. That way people can go straight from browsing Facebook to being impressed by it, instead of having to turn on their Xbox, sign in, load the game, and then find your profile and look up your service record to see it. In a way, it's more convenient.

why should i have to use a 3rd party program to see my rank that should be on a game? what if people don't own all these gadgets then after every match they have to close halo 4 go to waypoint just to determine if they have leveled or not? i mean thats pretty stupid.

your right nobody does care about ranks that is why  halo 3 lasted so long people were buying and selling accounts for a silly number. But its one of the best ways to indicate how good someone is K/d does nothing. 

i didn't know people browse facebook after a game. I'm the kinda person who doesn't own a ipod and such and my pc is in my other room.

It seems to me most people who dislike the 50 system just couldn't get that 50. Yes it was flawed but it is much better then what we have currently and it makes this game have replay value then it does now.

whats funny is most the people hating on the ranking system don't even play ranked they played for fun so how does it effect them? priceless

Edited by TornadoFlame

They should put it right under your sr level or if you select the person it should show it there. At least there getting the idea of making it again thats what made me always wanna play to get my ranking up. But hopefully they will work something out for halo 5.

i diagree so much on that the true skill in halo 3 had so mnay good points but so many bad points why u ask becase quiters who quit when they saw a 50/late in halo 3 life cycle/  boosters cheaters hackers etc it on waypoint is for the best

We need ranks.  I'm tired of owning level 130 kids and making them take their game and system back to gamestop and receiving threatening messages from their parents about how I ruined their kid's fun.  Please.....if your kid had half a brain he wouldn't be spending so much time at something only to fail time and time again.  How is that fun?   I understand 343i designed the ranking system for bad kids that fail at pretty much everything at life, but why punish those who simply want to be match up against a group of equal skill?

We need ranks.  I'm tired of owning level 130 kids and making them take their game and system back to gamestop and receiving threatening messages from their parents about how I ruined their kid's fun.  Please.....if your kid had half a brain he wouldn't be spending so much time at something only to fail time and time again.  How is that fun?   I understand 343i designed the ranking system for bad kids that fail at pretty much everything at life, but why punish those who simply want to be match up against a group of equal skill?

oh god. stop it lol.

^

My point proven.

so why do you dislike the ranking system so much what do you prefer to play when you sign into halo 4?

Whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. Mostly Infinity Slayer like everyone else, with some Griffball thrown in here and there. Unfortunately, my time to play has declined steadily. And to be honest, I once shared your mentality, Tornado. I was a very competitive player, and would brag on my rank almost every day. I'd even talk trash with the best of 'em. But now that I'm heading into my mid-twenties, work and home life have taken priority over halo. Plus I didn't like the person I was becoming when I was competitive; I could be a serious ***** to those around me when I found myself outmatched. So I turned away from it and became a "casual noob" as so many like to say.

These days when I play, I have good games, and I have bad games. I try to win, but if I don't, eh, no big deal.

And you know what, I've been pretty unfair to you Tornado. While the likes of Wargod still irritate me to no end, and are a prime example of why competitive players get a bad rap, you're not all that arrogant really. You can even be downright reasonable, and I'm sorry I've been so snippy and judgmental towards you. That wasn't very nice, and I apologize.

I wouldn't be opposed to 343 implementing a Halo 3 style ranking system...so long as they created a social playlist for everyone else to have a good time in too. :)

• Like 1

Whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. Mostly Infinity Slayer like everyone else, with some Griffball thrown in here and there. Unfortunately, my time to play has declined steadily. And to be honest, I once shared your mentality, Tornado. I was a very competitive player, and would brag on my rank almost every day. I'd even talk trash with the best of 'em. But now that I'm heading into my mid-twenties, work and home life have taken priority over halo. Plus I didn't like the person I was becoming when I was competitive; I could be a serious ***** to those around me when I found myself outmatched. So I turned away from it and became a "casual noob" as so many like to say.

These days when I play, I have good games, and I have bad games. I try to win, but if I don't, eh, no big deal.

And you know what, I've been pretty unfair to you Tornado. While the likes of Wargod still irritate me to no end, and are a prime example of why competitive players get a bad rap, you're not all that arrogant really. You can even be downright reasonable, and I'm sorry I've been so snippy and judgmental towards you. That wasn't very nice, and I apologize.

I wouldn't be opposed to 343 implementing a Halo 3 style ranking system...so long as they created a social playlist for everyone else to have a good time in too. :)

well well u will be happy to know the true skill ranking system on waypoint is no diffrent from halo 3 when it comes out in april by the way will just be on waypoint other than that no diffrence just u cannot see it in game

Edited by Caboose.

I know when beaten by a better more skilled and clever team. Im never out of clue to what happens and why in a match. We often chat about it as it happens (were not beaten too often with full party assembled tho). I don't need a pathetic rank to tell. It's ******* obvious most if the times.

Perhaps I can be of some assistance here. Here's a couple little known facts regarding the skilled ranking system.  Firstly, Frank O'Connor, the key knob at the helm of 343i, stated some time ago (8-10 months or so), that Halo would be abandoning the skill ranking system type of system, stating essentially only 1% the Halo community actually cares for it.  First off, this couldnt be more innacurate, but more importantly it signified the direction 343i was choosing to go regardless of how many ppl actually wanted it.

Second, on the waypoint forums, BS Angel actually decided to respond for once to a thread regarding CSR. Someone had the novel idea of making your own rank present in your service record, in an attempt to by-pass this visible on "way point" only CSR coming in April.   She responded, rough quote "Though this is a great idea, there are insurmountable hurdles to make this work and we dont have the resources to accomplish this."  

So Im just saying, if you read between the lines here, its pretty clear.  For whatever reason Frank O'Connor/343i felt/decided that Halo didnt need a skilled ranking system and built the game without it in their plans.  We're all aware this game was rushed, its obvious.  So now we're at the stage where the fanbase is and has been screaming for a skilled ranking only 343i doesnt have the ability to build it into the current game.  Hence waypoint only.

All this is, is a near fatal error on the part of 343i, to assume, based on what reasoning I have no clue, that Halo all a sudden did not need a skilled ranking system.  Its what you could call an arrogant, bone- headed decision, of mass proportions. 

What is the problem? Halo 3 was the best competitive game ever for one reason. the true skill 1-50. arguments against the ranking system are contributed either by people who just cant match up .. or complete clowns.. let us have the ranking system. this isnt a care bear game.. its halo. the player base will go up.. and the care bears can cry.. they can play cod. the true halo players will stay. i cant even tell you how many of my friends refuse to pick up a controller until it comes back.. this is getting pathetic.. and waypoint is a joke .. get real.. put the ranking system back in.. just the same as h2 and h3.. when the playerbase was more then respectable.. why put out such a great game.. and then force it to fail by refusing to implement the most important part.. and one more thing, carebears, how could you possibly argue against a ranking system when youre also given a social playlist identical to the ranked ones.. pathetic.. truly pathetic.. the highest rank i ever achieved was a 49. and when facing a 50 in doubles i knew id better bring my A game +. halo reach and halo 4 id turn my xbox off half way through a match.. who cares... my playing accounted for nothing anyways..lets get real here.. since halo 3.. my heart rate hasnt slightly increased once while playing.... loosing patience..No ranking system = people quitting matches, then quitting halo all together gg 343 ...preciate it 

• Like 1

The thread's argument is that it should be shown on your service record. Not on Waypoint only.

no becase the csr is going to be on waypoint i should not be on the servic record in game why becase it may as well be right next to the player 1 to 130 rank it is going to be on waypoint to fix some of the issues with it in halo 3