Halo 4 forge problems

SHAMAZING T4CO

People have been complaining about forge for awhile now and after reading and having experience with the game I think i can make a list of the problems:

1) Maps. There are no maps really intended for forge. People can argue all they want about impact and ravine but neither are as good as forgeworld. Impact has so much potential, but the blocks look so ugly and you dont have much creativity on the map. Everything is like connect the dots using tunnels. And ravine is just to small. I would have rather had a new forgeworld then 3 small forge maps.

2) Lighting. Great idea, terribly implemented. It had so much potential but somehow 343 messed it up. First off it should render the lighting at the end of editing or in the start menu. It has to render the lighting everytime i switch from monitor to player and then it takes 3-4 seconds just to render something. It may not seem like much but think about it this way, lets say I build a map in 2 hours, i switch about 15-20 times an hour so lets do some math. 3x20= 60x2= 2 minutes. So if i spend 2 hours building a forge map i spend 2 minutes watching it render lighting. Thats not much time, but its annoying nonetheless. It should be able to be toggled.

3) Ugly. Most the items in this version of forge are just ugly. Impact is the worst offender here as those UNSC tunnels are just....UHG! We all complained about halo reachs forge blocks but those are way better then Halo 4s.

4) Items get unaligned. This is the worst. I spend 3-4 hours building an awesome map then the next day when i go to add something my stuff is all uneven. Then i have to go to every item and put it back to how it was. This is worst when you build flat stuff like a griffball court.

Anyways thats the end of my rant. Most this stuff could be fixed by a TU, and after forge 3.0, this makes me want Halo 5 more and more.

1- You have three large maps designed specifically for Forge. They may not be perfect, but they get the job done. There are plenty of creative maps out there that utilize the canvases beautifully, you just need to know where to look. And if you dont like the tunnels on Impact, then don't use them. They're not the only pieces available. Also, Forge World is impossible to create with Halo 4's graphics engine. The Xbox would explode.

2- The wait can be annoying, but it's needed. Rendering the lighting mid-construction lets you know you haven't broken the dynamic lighting yet. You WANT to see the lighting being rendered, it means your map is looking how it's supposed to. It's just the way things work. Besides, some people want to see where the shadows are while building their map so they can make the most out of the shadows.

3- This seems to be more of a personal preference than anything. I for one like the new looks of the blocks (for the most part). They could have done better with the unnecessary polygons to help framerate, but it's not that big of a deal. And again, if you don't like the tunnels, then don't use them. Most forgers frown on "tube maps" anyway.

4- The shifting pieces is to prevent certain modding in the game. Besides, the shift is usually so minor that no one will notice while playing the map. If it still bugs you, there are ways to limit the shifting.

1- You have three large maps designed specifically for Forge. They may not be perfect, but they get the job done. There are plenty of creative maps out there that utilize the canvases beautifully, you just need to know where to look. And if you dont like the tunnels on Impact, then don't use them. They're not the only pieces available. Also, Forge World is impossible to create with Halo 4's graphics engine. The Xbox would explode.

2- The wait can be annoying, but it's needed. Rendering the lighting mid-construction lets you know you haven't broken the dynamic lighting yet. You WANT to see the lighting being rendered, it means your map is looking how it's supposed to. It's just the way things work. Besides, some people want to see where the shadows are while building their map so they can make the most out of the shadows.

3- This seems to be more of a personal preference than anything. I for one like the new looks of the blocks (for the most part). They could have done better with the unnecessary polygons to help framerate, but it's not that big of a deal. And again, if you don't like the tunnels, then don't use them. Most forgers frown on "tube maps" anyway.

4- The shifting pieces is to prevent certain modding in the game. Besides, the shift is usually so minor that no one will notice while playing the map. If it still bugs you, there are ways to limit the shifting.

I think they could put a forge world map in Halo 4. It doesn't need to be the size of forge world but just something larger then the 3 included maps. And honestly who used all of forge world anyways? I would like a map maybe a third of the size of forge world which I think is doable.

I personally really like the 3 smaller maps. It brings some variety to maps, plus they all are fairly large. Not forge world large, obviously, but they are all good.

Impact - That has two large meteorites and a huge empty space in the middle. I don't know why people would complain about this map, plus the UNSC themed pieces look great IMO

Ravine - At first look i thought this map was a little smaller, but then i figured out you could go into the ravine, and around the back of each of the rocks. So, once again, not small. It also reminds me a bit of forge world, with the colours and the pieces remind me a little bit of FW as well.

Erosion - I don't know why, but this one is probably my favorite. I really like the rustic look on this map. Plus, you can build out over the green water (or whatever liquid it is). That doubles the map size or something, after i figured that out.

The problem with the new Forge Worlds isn't the size… well, not completely, anyways. It's mostly the fact that the geometry of the maps are limiting and pretty much just get in the way. For example, the metal trench in the centre of Ravine, or the big building with no application in the centre of a would-be open plain on Impact.

Another problem is the lack of variety in individual maps. With Forge World, you could combine the Alaska with the Montana, the Island with the beach, the Pillar and the Coastline, and loads of other possibilities. This gives the geometry of your maps greater variety.

What I'd really like is a big Forge world with different textures, skyboxes and effects (such as weather and lighting, not just messed up colours). So, for example, imagine this. In Forge World, if you want an Impact-esque space map, then just select a stellar skybox and change the textures to black rock so you have meteors instead of mountains and grassy plains.

Or if you want a rainy map at night time, switch your blue skies to black and cloudy, put on a low-light effect, then add a rain effect.

And also add several new skyboxes; Cloudy, stellar, urban, desert, etc.

It would also be great to put down sort of in-game green screens, so I don't have to have mountains surrounding my map, it would just continue the skybox. Or, taking the space map example, put it over the water so you can look down upon the stars.

As for non-environment related issues, the automatic tilt on large, flat objects is extremely annoying and makes you look like a crappy Forger who doesn't know how to use coordinates. And have you noticed how you can't submerge large objects? It just pushes it back up. This is annoying if you're just trying to use a small part of a large object to create a seemingly smaller and more unique one, such as using the tips of Brace, Larges for walls. This is a creative strategy that made the most convincing maps in Reach.

4) Items get unaligned. This is the worst. I spend 3-4 hours building an awesome map then the next day when i go to add something my stuff is all uneven. Then i have to go to every item and put it back to how it was. This is worst when you build flat stuff like a griffball court.

I agree, however I found that using the coordinate editor to set coordinates greatly reduces this problem. Thus magnetizing to these objects align better than magnetizing to randomly placed objects.

Greetings, my fellows, I would like to take this opportunity to register my displeasure regarding the product known as 'Halo 4'. Attempts to engage with it result in a notification that content is missing and I am thus rendered incapable of further interaction. I have taken preliminary steps of action including uninstalling and reinstalling the product, yet my attempts remain frustrated for reasons beyond my understanding, and have left me in a state of extreme dissatisfaction. It is therefore my my pronunciation that 'Halo 4' requires immediate attention from '343 Industries', and that the venerable 'Halo 2' is vastly superior.

now stop there mr. people complain cause they want the size of forge world and be lazy and not think of things somethings i can agree with like ravine is hard to put tall tower cause it yells saying too tall and it will hurt me but those are minor annoying i can solve your problem with 1 reason here it is.

1.i'm a forger and as i had played 3 reach i love reach yes but this new forge world gives everyone something different but if you learn and do better it make's forging much easier to do. 343i s kicking the ball to us players sayng here is poop make gold and when forger get the poop we make more than just 1 gold we make 10 more gold form it so just cause they hand us poop and you can make it right doesn't me you can't learn how to make maps be gold. not to also include that in reach you almost took as less time building but to much testing to make the bumps work out.so if you think you got nerves to say 343 did and awful job then go sit in the corner and think about your life man.

cause a great forger can over come anything as long as he tells him self that

glad you don't let it affect the rest of your gameplay though man i love everyone on the forum but the forge for 343i is just the start none knows what will happen keep forging though even if t looks ugly make something that makes you proud.

Edited by Banehalo