My Even more brutally honest Halo 4 Review.

opiatem

3/10 The campaign is short, with a terrible fan-fiction story that is somehow bloated and rushed at the same time. The melodrama is shallow and certainly no improvement over the steel-ey but genuine Chief of old. This is not "growth" because we don't experience the change, Chief just suddenly acts differently for no reason. The new Promothean enemies are ridiculous bullet sponges with poor visual cues and good ideas like teleport executed randomly and haphazardly, punishing good players for playing well. Prometheans also don't fit well into the linear sandbox style because they are not unique like all the Covenant were. Rather then being arranged in different ways to craft a scenario, Prometheans are simply placed at intervals to be bludgeoned through. The backdrops and vistas are gorgeous. The music is not on par with Halo 1-3, but we were very spoiled with wonderful music. Halo 4's music is very good compared to the competition. Cortana actually has some very good dialog in just a few places. The campaign has Quicktime events, a particularly offensive feature, and these are PARTICULARLY badly timed. The multiplayer is terrible. It's chock full of fluff, randomness, and nonsense. It's not bad because it has so many new elements, it's bad because those elements weren't crafted to fit into a coherent experience. The result is an absolute catastrophe. It discourages team play, discourages map movement and control, doesn't reward skill while rewarding the most asinine behaviors. It has completely abandoned Halo's structured, , team based, competitive style. There is obviously much Halo 4 ripped off from it's competitors, and they ripped it off without actually finding a coherent way to work it into the game. The most significant thing that Halo 4 ripped off from Call of Duty is probably the thing that will be the least remarked. They ripped off a style of play in which the enemy players function like single player enemies with advanced intelligence, where the real goal is to achieve personal milestones rather than accomplish team goals- the most rudimentary of which is winning the game. Everything in Halo 4 is designed to supplement that approach. What is lost is the balance based on teamwork and cooperation in the competitive spirit, the very heart and soul of Halo multiplayer. Spartan Ops is a waste of time. You will be outraged they replaced Firefight with Spartan Ops once you see what it actually is like. It is hardly what the fans were promised. The game also has many bugs, glitches, and broken and missing features, and the developer has been extremely slow in fixing and addressing these major problems. The lack of customization in a series which has always been lauded for it is very hard to explain and accept. Ultimately this is a game for people who don't care about the actual content of the Halo series.

3/10 The campaign is short, with a terrible fan-fiction story that is somehow bloated and rushed at the same time. The melodrama is shallow and certainly no improvement over the steel-ey but genuine Chief of old. This is not "growth" because we don't experience the change, Chief just suddenly acts differently for no reason. The new Promothean enemies are ridiculous bullet sponges with poor visual cues and good ideas like teleport executed randomly and haphazardly, punishing good players for playing well. Prometheans also don't fit well into the linear sandbox style because they are not unique like all the Covenant were. Rather then being arranged in different ways to craft a scenario, Prometheans are simply placed at intervals to be bludgeoned through. The backdrops and vistas are gorgeous. The music is not on par with Halo 1-3, but we were very spoiled with wonderful music. Halo 4's music is very good compared to the competition. Cortana actually has some very good dialog in just a few places. The campaign has Quicktime events, a particularly offensive feature, and these are PARTICULARLY badly timed. The multiplayer is terrible. It's chock full of fluff, randomness, and nonsense. It's not bad because it has so many new elements, it's bad because those elements weren't crafted to fit into a coherent experience. The result is an absolute catastrophe. It discourages team play, discourages map movement and control, doesn't reward skill while rewarding the most asinine behaviors. It has completely abandoned Halo's structured, , team based, competitive style. There is obviously much Halo 4 ripped off from it's competitors, and they ripped it off without actually finding a coherent way to work it into the game. The most significant thing that Halo 4 ripped off from Call of Duty is probably the thing that will be the least remarked. They ripped off a style of play in which the enemy players function like single player enemies with advanced intelligence, where the real goal is to achieve personal milestones rather than accomplish team goals- the most rudimentary of which is winning the game. Everything in Halo 4 is designed to supplement that approach. What is lost is the balance based on teamwork and cooperation in the competitive spirit, the very heart and soul of Halo multiplayer. Spartan Ops is a waste of time. You will be outraged they replaced Firefight with Spartan Ops once you see what it actually is like. It is hardly what the fans were promised. The game also has many bugs, glitches, and broken and missing features, and the developer has been extremely slow in fixing and addressing these major problems. The lack of customization in a series which has always been lauded for it is very hard to explain and accept. Ultimately this is a game for people who don't care about the actual content of the Halo series.

Well I completely disagree with you because you probably are a CoD BK.

I am not trying to flame you but I dont think this "review" (if you can call it that) seems to be based a lot upon similar "rage" threads people have made about Halo not conforming to their personal expectations.

A game is not tailored to one person or another. It is designed around what brings in the largest audience.

This being said, your opinion is your own (even if I think it is colored by some hate threads out there). There is no right or wrong answer. I disagree with you about your review, but it is yours to make.

A final note, please us paragraphs. It was really difficult to read.

• Like 2

3/10 The campaign is short, with a terrible fan-fiction story that is somehow bloated and rushed at the same time. The melodrama is shallow and certainly no improvement over the steel-ey but genuine Chief of old. This is not "growth" because we don't experience the change, Chief just suddenly acts differently for no reason. The new Promothean enemies are ridiculous bullet sponges with poor visual cues and good ideas like teleport executed randomly and haphazardly, punishing good players for playing well. Prometheans also don't fit well into the linear sandbox style because they are not unique like all the Covenant were. Rather then being arranged in different ways to craft a scenario, Prometheans are simply placed at intervals to be bludgeoned through.

The backdrops and vistas are gorgeous. The music is not on par with Halo 1-3, but we were very spoiled with wonderful music. Halo 4's music is very good compared to the competition. Cortana actually has some very good dialog in just a few places. The campaign has Quicktime events, a particularly offensive feature, and these are PARTICULARLY badly timed.

The multiplayer is terrible. It's chock full of fluff, randomness, and nonsense. It's not bad because it has so many new elements, it's bad because those elements weren't crafted to fit into a coherent experience. The result is an absolute catastrophe. It discourages team play, discourages map movement and control, doesn't reward skill while rewarding the most asinine behaviors. It has completely abandoned Halo's structured, , team based, competitive style. There is obviously much Halo 4 ripped off from it's competitors, and they ripped it off without actually finding a coherent way to work it into the game.

The most significant thing that Halo 4 ripped off from Call of Duty is probably the thing that will be the least remarked. They ripped off a style of play in which the enemy players function like single player enemies with advanced intelligence, where the real goal is to achieve personal milestones rather than accomplish team goals- the most rudimentary of which is winning the game. Everything in Halo 4 is designed to supplement that approach. What is lost is the balance based on teamwork and cooperation in the competitive spirit, the very heart and soul of Halo multiplayer.

Spartan Ops is a waste of time. You will be outraged they replaced Firefight with Spartan Ops once you see what it actually is like. It is hardly what the fans were promised. The game also has many bugs, glitches, and broken and missing features, and the developer has been extremely slow in fixing and addressing these major problems. The lack of customization in a series which has always been lauded for it is very hard to explain and accept. Ultimately this is a game for people who don't care about the actual content of the Halo series.

Fixed. Now it's readable... but barely.

• Like 3

My hero!!!!

Lol. But really...

I stopped reading at "doesn't promote team play"...

Okay you walk around and take on four blue guys all with AR's at close range on adrift and you tell me who comes out on top. And if you say you do you're a dirty liar and I'll respect you less than I already do for trolling. I said good day...

I sadly read the whole thing. S. Ops is a little disappointing with them using the same areas over and over. Plus them getting lazy and using a multiplayer map made me not like it even more. The story is nice and being allowed to use my own load outs is a big plus as well. I hated that the Knights were in fact bullet sponges and took a large amount of ammo just to drop their shield on Legendary.

I would give H4 a negative 5.

H4 sucks.

If you grew up playing Halo CE through H3 then I honeslty cannot understand how or why you like this game and continue to come on here and defend it while continuing to ignore and/or deny that the structure of the game has changed in order to compete with CoD.

At this point though we are all beating a dead horse as far as anything getting fixed for H4. 343 has our money. Stupid people are going to be stupid. Ignorant people will continue to be ignorant. Nothing is going to change. I am hoping that H4 population gets so low and that more and more people continue to come on these forums to rip the game so that Microsoft and 343 will realize that they messed up and will make Halo 5 what Halo 4 should have been. As a true Halo fan that is all I have to hope for at this point.

I would give H4 a negative 5.

H4 sucks.

If you grew up playing Halo CE through H3 then I honeslty cannot understand how or why you like this game and continue to come on here and defend it while continuing to ignore and/or deny that the structure of the game has changed in order to compete with CoD.

At this point though we are all beating a dead horse as far as anything getting fixed for H4. 343 has our money. Stupid people are going to be stupid. Ignorant people will continue to be ignorant. Nothing is going to change. I am hoping that H4 population gets so low and that more and more people continue to come on these forums to rip the game so that Microsoft and 343 will realize that they messed up and will make Halo 5 what Halo 4 should have been. As a true Halo fan that is all I have to hope for at this point.

Guess I'm not a Halo fan or smart... Funny. I thought I was but clearly I'm mistaken. Thanks for making me realize I'm just a noobish dummy. I almost liked Halo 4. Good thing you came along! Pfft.

Guess I'm not a Halo fan or smart... Funny. I thought I was but clearly I'm mistaken. Thanks for making me realize I'm just a noobish dummy. I almost liked Halo 4. Good thing you came along! Pfft.

Me and all my friends grew up playing Halo MP throughout high school and college. Most people on here that are unhappy with the game are unhappy because they too grew up playing Halo, and the STRUCTURE of Halo 4 is completely different. So different that it is not Halo anymore. Halo MP was built on being 100 percent balanced and competitive. That formula is gone in Halo 4. The structure of Halo 4 is the problem. These are the people that I refer to as a true Halo MP fan. Guys who grew up having Halo CE parties with 16 plus people every weekend where we would all bring our own TV's and play until 6 in the morning, and those same group of guys playing Halo 2 over XBL and still having parties all the way up to Halo 3. Hell we still had Halo CE parties years later after Halo 2 and 3 came out. I went to many tournaments including MLG. Halo was a huge part of our lives, just like millions of others out there.

I'm guesing your one of those people who either picked up playing Halo later on, or played Halo and did not like it for probably a bunch of dumb reasons. In the end there are more casual gamers these days vs hardcore Halo gamers that still have interest in playing. Me and my friends now have families and full time jobs. 343 is going with the money. That's the bottom line.

The few friends I have left that still plays XBOX including myself and a ton of other people on these forums want a game worthy of that Halo name. You and everyone else please try to understand that. If you like the game then thats great. But there are alot of us that don't. For reasons that I just explained.

• Like 2

Me and all my friends grew up playing Halo MP throughout high school and college. Most people on here that are unhappy with the game are unhappy because they too grew up playing Halo, and the STRUCTURE of Halo 4 is completely different. So different that it is not Halo anymore. Halo MP was built on being 100 percent balanced and competitive. That formula is gone in Halo 4. The structure of Halo 4 is the problem. These are the people that I refer to as a true Halo MP fan. Guys who grew up having Halo CE parties with 16 plus people every weekend where we would all bring our own TV's and play until 6 in the morning, and those same group of guys playing Halo 2 over XBL and still having parties all the way up to Halo 3. Hell we still had Halo CE parties years later after Halo 2 and 3 came out. I went to many tournaments including MLG. Halo was a huge part of our lives, just like millions of others out there.

I'm guesing your one of those people who either picked up playing Halo later on, or played Halo and did not like it for probably a bunch of dumb reasons. In the end there are more casual gamers these days vs hardcore Halo gamers that still have interest in playing. Me and my friends now have families and full time jobs. 343 is going with the money. That's the bottom line.

The few friends I have left that still plays XBOX including myself and a ton of other people on these forums want a game worthy of that Halo name. You and everyone else please try to understand that. If you like the game then thats great. But there are alot of us that don't. For reasons that I just explained.

I am exactly the opposite of what you think I am. I was 12 when Halo came out. I played with my older brother and had plenty of LAN parties. I even played Halo 3 up until 2011 with my platoon sergeant in RC South Afghanistan. I'm a husband too. And a father now. (What that has to do with Halo 4 I'm still unclear...) I like this game because I realize its made by a completely new developer. I like it because its not Halo Reach or Halo 3 or Halo 2 or Halo CE. To be honest, I'm worse at this game than any other Halo I've played to date.

That said that doesn't mean it's not a good game it just means its different. And not something I'm used to. I'm sure in time I'll get better at it. But my skill level has nothing to do with what a good game is.

Sorry you don't enjoy it.

I am exactly the opposite of what you think I am. I was 12 when Halo came out. I played with my older brother and had plenty of LAN parties. I even played Halo 3 up until 2011 with my platoon sergeant in RC South Afghanistan. I'm a husband too. And a father now. (What that has to do with Halo 4 I'm still unclear...) I like this game because I realize its made by a completely new developer. I like it because its not Halo Reach or Halo 3 or Halo 2 or Halo CE. To be honest, I'm worse at this game than any other Halo I've played to date.

That said that doesn't mean it's not a good game it just means its different. And not something I'm used to. I'm sure in time I'll get better at it. But my skill level has nothing to do with what a good game is.

Sorry you don't enjoy it.

Well like I said, I really can't understand that especially if you were really into Halo MP growing up like I was and my friends. I'm sure there are others like you that just like it because it's different. But there are many others out there like I described. It is what it is. I still have hope but I doubt Halo will be returning to it's roots anytime soon, which makes me sad.

Also, in my opinion, Halo 4 is alot more like Halo Reach than any other Halo. I dislike Reach and Halo 4 about the same. Heres where I draw the line....

Both Halo Reach and Halo 4 do not have a competitive ranking system, and both games have players starting out with different weapons and abilities. This structure, along with the fast paced gameplay and unlock system is the formula of success for CoD. (Not saying CoD invented everything so no one jump on my for that again). It's a copycat world. Right now, CoD is the king of the FPS world. So if any game adapts to similiar gameplay used in CoD then it will automatically get compared to it. Just the way it is. The problem is, Halo was already extremely successful and did not need to copy off crap.

• Like 1

Well like I said, I really can't understand that especially if you were really into Halo MP growing up like I was and my friends. I'm sure there are others like you that just like it because it's different. But there are many others out there like I described. It is what it is. I still have hope but I doubt Halo will be returning to it's roots anytime soon, which makes me sad.

Also, in my opinion, Halo 4 is alot more like Halo Reach than any other Halo. I dislike Reach and Halo 4 about the same. Heres where I draw the line....

Both Halo Reach and Halo 4 do not have a competitive ranking system, and both games have players starting out with different weapons and abilities. This structure, along with the fast paced gameplay and unlock system is the formula of success for CoD. (Not saying CoD invented everything so no one jump on my for that again). It's a copycat world. Right now, CoD is the king of the FPS world. So if any game adapts to similiar gameplay used in CoD then it will automatically get compared to it. Just the way it is. The problem is, Halo was already extremely successful and did not need to copy off crap.

I would agree with another person on the forums and say that it has more in common with Unreal or Quake than CoD... Lol. You're just saying that its like CoD because that's what everyone else is saying.

I didn't say Halo 4 was my FAVORITE. I was just saying its not a bad game. Fiscal reports, reviews, and fan voting has spoken for itself. You are alone in your opinions. Maybe onesies and twosies but you're relatively alone. Halo Reach was fun too. I enjoyed it. Still Halo CE was still my favorite strictly for the campaign. Halo 3 had the best Multiplayer because of maps and weapons not because of ranking it was competitive in itself.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game. But don't hate me for saying that you're the only one suffering because of it. If you don't like it why get mad at something new? Why not continue to play Halo 3?

Halo CE had no competitive ranking system....

I would agree with another person on the forums and say that it has more in common with Unreal or Quake than CoD... Lol. You're just saying that its like CoD because that's what everyone else is saying.

I didn't say Halo 4 was my FAVORITE. I was just saying its not a bad game. Fiscal reports, reviews, and fan voting has spoken for itself. You are alone in your opinions. Maybe onesies and twosies but you're relatively alone. Halo Reach was fun too. I enjoyed it. Still Halo CE was still my favorite strictly for the campaign. Halo 3 had the best Multiplayer because of maps and weapons not because of ranking it was competitive in itself.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game. But don't hate me for saying that you're the only one suffering because of it. If you don't like it why get mad at something new? Why not continue to play Halo 3?

I'm alone in my opinions and I'm the only one suffereing? Are you on something or are you just that stupid and just living in your own world? I will answer that. Your stupid (maybe on something too) because you said that I'm alone, but I'm going with what everyone else is saying in comparisions with CoD which means I'm not alone. You condricted yourself. I'm assuming you can read and write so why don't you go looking around the forums, there a ton of threads posted where people just like me are explaining why they are unhappy with the game, people who have stopped playing, and others that have traded in the game, mostly for the reasons I have already covered. But I'm sure you already knew that which brings me back to the stupid part.

Halo CE had no competitive ranking system....

It DIDN'T? I owe someone A LOT of money now... Hmmm...

I'm alone in my opinions and I'm the only one suffereing? Are you on something or are you just that stupid and just living in your own world? I will answer that. Your stupid (maybe on something too) because you said that I'm alone, but I'm going with what everyone else is saying in comparisions with CoD which means I'm not alone. You condricted yourself. I'm assuming you can read and write so why don't you go looking around the forums, there a ton of threads posted where people just like me are explaining why they are unhappy with the game, people who have stopped playing, and others that have traded in the game, mostly for the reasons I have already covered. But I'm sure you already knew that which brings me back to the stupid part.

Lol. You mad bro? And I WAS referring to the entire legion of gamers that AREN'T on forums. People on this site aren't the only ones who play Halo dude. But thanks for calling me stupid because you disagreed. The numbers are out there. Do a quick google search for Halo 4. Ya back yet? Good. I'm sure all you saw we're the numerous hate threads of it being a collosal fail. What? You didn't? Aw man! Guess you're RELATIVELY alone.

And I meant the only person missing out by you not liking it IS you. But ou must have missed that point when you were too busy plastering hate threads. What I meant was you not liking the game doesn't ruin ANYONE'S experience but your own.

It DIDN'T? I owe someone A LOT of money now... Hmmm...

Lol. You mad bro? And I WAS referring to the entire legion of gamers that AREN'T on forums. People on this site aren't the only ones who play Halo dude. But thanks for calling me stupid because you disagreed. The numbers are out there. Do a quick google search for Halo 4. Ya back yet? Good. I'm sure all you saw we're the numerous hate threads of it being a collosal fail. What? You didn't? Aw man! Guess you're RELATIVELY alone.

My reponse to that.....