H4 vs H3 Population

Cortar

Halo 3 over a 24 hour period, FOUR years after its release date, WHILE Halo Reach was out, had 800,000 UNIQUE players in all of its hoppers.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive37.pl?read=1084475

Halo 4, over a 24 hour period, a MONTH after its release, had a total of 1,920,000 over the course of a day. I used Saturday the 8th as the data set and added the population of each hour together, this obviously does not equal the same data as the unique users of Halo 3, but it is somewhat comparable. You could probably cut this number anywhere from 50% to 25% to get a more accurate picture of UU.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/totalpopulation/all

What does this mean? That H4 isn't the success that H3 was, by far. 343 has these numbers, I wish they would take them into consideration, but their bottomline is sales. With this new Halo trilogy set to release on a much quicker timeline, survivability of the game isn't as high of a priority. They want to sell as many copies as they can, then let their users get bored of it after a bit, then sell them a brand new game. That is why there are so many features missing and bugs in H4 right now. They want to string people along, and release the fixes and new features along with the release of new expansions (map packs and SO episodes).

I don't necessarily agree with everything said here, though I do recognize that the population has been down versus Halo 3. That being said, there were much fewer games to compete with back when Halo 3 came out.

I would also say that I think the game is good. It has problems, and I'm not trying to hide it. But also, I can tell you that the intent of people working in games, not just Halo 4 but every game, their intent isn't "let's make a mediocre game". I'm not saying that Halo 4 is mediocre, but sometimes it seems like people honestly think that the people who work on games purposely put bugs in the game, or whatever. It's pretty ridiculous.

I don't necessarily agree with everything said here, though I do recognize that the population has been down versus Halo 3. That being said, there were much fewer games to compete with back when Halo 3 came out.

I would also say that I think the game is good. It has problems, and I'm not trying to hide it. But also, I can tell you that the intent of people working in games, not just Halo 4 but every game, their intent isn't "let's make a mediocre game". I'm not saying that Halo 4 is mediocre, but sometimes it seems like people honestly think that the people who work on games purposely put bugs in the game, or whatever. It's pretty ridiculous.

hmm I wouldn't say there are more games to compete against. At least online games that is.

hmm I wouldn't say there are more games to compete against. At least online games that is.

Halo 4 has to compete with

Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3, Assasins Creed lll, Minecraft xbox 360 edition, Forza Horizon, Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, all these games have people playing them that wont be playing halo

Actually CoD Black Ops is the most profitable game in the CoD series to date for the franchise, and for the 360. In March of 2012 Black Ops had a confirmed selling of over 12.3 million units. Halo 3 barely broke 3.5 million. In terms of success, yes Halo 4 is not the best selling of the series, but halo in general has a long way to go before it will ever outsell the competition.

That being said, times have changed dramatically since 2007 with halo 3 versus now. Economic woes, layoffs, etc have all contributed to the decline of gaming in general and the importance of titles coming out of the release gate strong. Also, we have not seen any graphical release of the actual MM data for Halo 4 yet. We can speculate based on our own numbers when logging on, but we are never around 24/7 as individuals to post numbers up that would properly reflect the population.

Halo 3 over a 24 hour period, FOUR years after its release date, WHILE Halo Reach was out, had 800,000 UNIQUE players in all of its hoppers.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive37.pl?read=1084475

Halo 4, over a 24 hour period, a MONTH after its release, had a total of 1,920,000 over the course of a day. I used Saturday the 8th as the data set and added the population of each hour together, this obviously does not equal the same data as the unique users of Halo 3, but it is somewhat comparable. You could probably cut this number anywhere from 50% to 25% to get a more accurate picture of UU.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/totalpopulation/all

What does this mean? That H4 isn't the success that H3 was, by far. 343 has these numbers, I wish they would take them into consideration, but their bottomline is sales. With this new Halo trilogy set to release on a much quicker timeline, survivability of the game isn't as high of a priority. They want to sell as many copies as they can, then let their users get bored of it after a bit, then sell them a brand new game. That is why there are so many features missing and bugs in H4 right now. They want to string people along, and release the fixes and new features along with the release of new expansions (map packs and SO episodes).

Nobody cares how many people like the game. Play it or don't nobody is twisting your arm. Sick to DEATH of these threads nobody gives two ****s about.

Halo 4 has to compete with

Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3, Assasins Creed lll, Minecraft xbox 360 edition, Forza Horizon, Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, all these games have people playing them that wont be playing halo

COD, Battle, AC, Forza, FC, Borderlands, were all series that were out when Halo 3 was out, so this point is kinda moot.

Mass Effect was around but since it didn't have mutliplayer, I will give that to you.

Also I wouldn't say that Minecraft is a competitor of an FPS. They are in a very, very loose sense, but not strictly speaking

Actually CoD Black Ops is the most profitable game in the CoD series to date for the franchise, and for the 360. In March of 2012 Black Ops had a confirmed selling of over 12.3 million units. Halo 3 barely broke 3.5 million. In terms of success, yes Halo 4 is not the best selling of the series, but halo in general has a long way to go before it will ever outsell the competition.

That being said, times have changed dramatically since 2007 with halo 3 versus now. Economic woes, layoffs, etc have all contributed to the decline of gaming in general and the importance of titles coming out of the release gate strong. Also, we have not seen any graphical release of the actual MM data for Halo 4 yet. We can speculate based on our own numbers when logging on, but we are never around 24/7 as individuals to post numbers up that would properly reflect the population.

Its kinda pointless to compare an Xbox only game to a multiplat.

I wasn't comparing them to the degree you think. Even if Halo had a multiplatform base, it wouldn't even still capture the crowd numbers that CoD does. CoD Black Ops II beat every game ever released on the 360 period. That is just the 360, not including the IOS, Wii, PS3 or any other variations of it. Alone, COD captures the market and does put a hurting on Halo.

As the previous poster just pointed out, the playlists do kill it a bit. Reach gave us a wide range of choices and had a "good" rotation. Halo 4 just doesn't seem to be starting off right. I mean c'mon....Grifball is not starting playlist?!? Grifball was and still is the most popular go to playlist gametype since Halo 3...yet 343i decided to not have it included at launch?