DMR > BR in every way :o

Death Panda x

See, I gotta disagree. The BR is pretty accurate. To the point where a 4 shot BR should beat a 5 shot DMR more times than not across Haven. Complex? Sure. Maybe. But the DMR shouldn't be condemned to be weaker at all ranges except very far. Honestly, try putting a custom powerful for +10 percent power or whatever. I bet the BR user will tear up the DMR user.

It's gross, but I'd almost say make it four shot, and give it MORE spread. Naw, that's too gross. I wouldn't say that.

I already tested it, that's why I make the claims I do, because I've actually done this.

Wanna know my results? It's simple, 110% damage makes the BR 4-shot but I don't know whether it's taking 10, 11, or 12 bullets to kill because I didn't slow it down in theater. For comparing kill times that's not important, because the BR will fire 4 bursts before the DMR fires 4 shots. You don't need a stopwatch for that information.

That served MY purpose of making the BR 4-shot and the Carbine 7-shot. +10% was a bit too much for a blanket boost though, as I said earlier in this thread when I first posted this information. The BR might be fine with an +8% boost or something instead, but that isn't available to players in customs.

It also perfectly fit my preferred arrangement of weapons. The BR DOES shread the DMR when it's 4-shot - inside the BR's ideal range. Outside that range the DMR's accuracy and semi-automatic firing mode keep its kill time exactly where it was at mid-range, but the BR's declines. Which again is exactly what I want.

I've said it over and over again in this thread, I don't want one gun to just sit atop the others. I want them all to serve a purpose and be strong when they're in their element. Mid-range is the BR and Carbine's element. Long-range is the DMR's. Long-range is actually the lightrifle's, but the lightrifle's damage model is uniquely variable where no other gun's is. The DMR's damage doesn't change at any range, so it remains a practical weapon which can engage and contend at all ranges, but it doesn't dominate in any specific range. Jack of all Trades, Master of None and all that. I'm cool with that.

The problem is that is not how things are now. That's the whole point of the thread, and what I've also said over and over again.

It's odd after reading countless threads like this, that my initial thoughts before the release of HALO 4 were right. I believe there isn't room in this game (or individual playlist for that matter) for the DMR and BR to coexist. The weapons are too similar, and the way to balance them in the scenario where they would be most suited for; DMR longrange vs BR mid-rane/close-range, would sway far more people to the BR. There is no reasonable compromise in my opinion to make everyone happy. Either the DMR should be a pickup weapon, or there should be no DMR/BR. Also I think the pistol has too much bloom lol.

As someone who has played a great deal of halo 2 online I can tell you that the halo 2 Carbine was perfect in terms of how it performed vs a battle rifle.

It had about the same fire rate as the halo 4 variant, but it had more range and damage at the cost of a less accurate shot then the battle rifle. Single shotting with the weapon greatly increased it's accuracy, but repeated sustained fire resulted in less then pinpoint shots. Essentially it was an awesome weapon that killed faster then the battle rifle but had a more random headshot factor.

The carbine in halo 3 was more accurate but slightly less powerful but otherwise pretty much the same weapon in application.

In halo 2 the battle rifle reigned supreme but the carbine definitly could keep up to people who didn't impliment BXR or similar button combonations.

Sounds like someone is a little butt hurt that it's not gonna happen. While you're still crying on forums like a panzee I'll be enjoying the game thank you.

Oh and I did read your crummy post. I meant who would choose a 6 shot DMR (or any weapon for that matter over ANYTHING that could 4 shot something? You're an elitist dweeb who gets off by publicly humiliating himself. Come back with something or STFU. Later douchenugget.

Lolwut? Calm down, douchenugget. I'm here to get the weapons balanced, not fight with 12 year olds.

I don't see how the issue of the balancing the DMR and BR in relation to each other could be cause for such unnecessary comments and insults. Way I see it the BR needs to be slightly buffed. I feel that if they were to nerf the DMR then that would cause for a massive increase in kill times and negate from the awesome high speed of Halo 4 War Games matched.

The real issue wit the DMR is that it beats the BR in almost all scenarios assuming the two matched up against each other are of equal skill level. The way I would solve this is to make the BR 4 shots but all of the headshots have to be PERFECT HEADSHOTS with not a single stray bullet missing. I think that this would require a good bit of skill to do.

This would make the BR far more effective at close range if the user is skilled enough while still allowing the the DMR's long range precision dominance over all of the other loadout weapons.

Not a fan of the BR here, but I am now almost complete with BR mastery. The BR is a joke compared to the DMR due to the bullet spread of the BR. It makes it significantly more challenging to fully connect with shots, especially when people are moving and it just gets harder the further away they get. Throw in lag and it's just not even close to the DMR instantly hitting everyone with it's magnetism.

Simple Fix - just switch the magnetism of the DMR and the BR

Blah blah, even at 6 shot kill the DMR will be balanced if all other guns remained the same. It would beat the BR at long range and still be competitive against the light rifle due to the DMR being easier to aim due to its higher autoaim bullet magnetism. I currently use the light rifle for long range and notice that the DMR destroys me even though I need one less shot to kill when scoped. Any time I face off against an opponent who is also using the LR I destroy them. This is due to the LR having much less aim assist and bullet magnetism.

The whole BR/DMR/Rifle debate can be quite complex. A good thing is trying to keep the facts separate from suggested balance changes.

BR:

+ Easier to aim/fire at close/medium range than the DMR.

+ Impacting multiple rounds (spread) at an enemy.

- Loses effectiveness fast, medium range and beyond

- Difficult to have an entire spread hit a strafing enemy

DMR:

+ Maintains effectiveness at longer ranges

+ Excels when combined with teammates

- Takes practice to become consistent with

Posted by: Bloody Initiate

If you drop the DMR's rate of fire or damage you make it completely useless. As it is now good players get to cover before you land 5 shots. That's how it should be.

I agree with Bloody Initiate. The meat of H4 gameplay is completing your headshots before your enemy has a chance to find cover, wait until shields recharge, then come back out for a counter. This concept should be kept in mind when opening the balance issue with the rifles.

Tweaking Balance

Its important to remember that boost/nerfing one or two weapons can affect gameplay in non-intended ways. If the BR were to be given a boost, how would this affect the usefulness of other close-medium ranged weapons? Personally, the DMR is the heart of H4 online and most of the gameplay revolves around it. Nerfing it could lead to the online experience changing in a direction 343 has not intended H4 to be.

My Opinion

Firstly, I need more experience playing the game while having the DMR/BR issue in mind. It'll definitely help me see more of the game from different angles and form a better all around idea. I can't let my impulsive behaviours/frustrations get in the way here, it's very important.

With the carbine, lightrifle, BR, and DMR all in the mix, I don't think the current weapon balance is the best for H4. I think a change may be needed, something that will improve the game for everyone. A small change, I think it has to do with the DMR. I feel it's just too dominant over the other rifles in the game, the carbine and lightrifle. A very small nerf to the DMR is needed, but it must still allow it to be a dominant weapon in the game.

In the end, the gap between the DMR and the carbine/lightrifle must be narrowed, but still leave the DMR a dominate weapon on the battlefield.

I definitely think that the BR needs a buff. I've been playing with it recently and I definitely don't do as well and seem to get outgunned by everyone using a DMR, and I'm actually a decent player. I'm not getting outplayed, just the BR seems a little bit underpowered at the moment.

Blah blah, even at 6 shot kill the DMR will be balanced if all other guns remained the same. It would beat the BR at long range and still be competitive against the light rifle due to the DMR being easier to aim due to its higher autoaim bullet magnetism. I currently use the light rifle for long range and notice that the DMR destroys me even though I need one less shot to kill when scoped. Any time I face off against an opponent who is also using the LR I destroy them. This is due to the LR having much less aim assist and bullet magnetism.

To be blunt if you're coming up short in scoped LR vs DMR, you're doing it wrong. LR would kill faster if you headshot. Also I think any mentally stable gamer would go with something that would 4 or even 5 shot someone over something that 6 shots. That's just foolish on whatever level you're on. Period. So whatever rifle kills in less time and trigger squeezes is the rifle the average player will roll with.

^False

Considering the hitscan of the DMR and the huge amount of auto-aim, it is not inconceivable to consistently lose to it with a light rifle. The light rifle doesn't have too good of magnetism, the aimer is very difficult to tell if it is lined up on the enemy, and the shots also take a bit of time to travel to the target - almost seems like you have to lead your target. Oh, and if you are getting shot with the LR by the DMR, the amount of flinching you do is absolutely incredible, basically negating the quick kill time. Technically, the scoped LR does have the fastest kill times of all the rifles, so there has to be reasons people aren't using it. In a perfect world, yes the LR wins every time. But how come I'm not seeing people rape with the LR?

^False

Considering the hitscan of the DMR and the huge amount of auto-aim, it is not inconceivable to consistently lose to it with a light rifle. The light rifle doesn't have too good of magnetism, the aimer is very difficult to tell if it is lined up on the enemy, and the shots also take a bit of time to travel to the target - almost seems like you have to lead your target. Oh, and if you are getting shot with the LR by the DMR, the amount of flinching you do is absolutely incredible, basically negating the quick kill time. Technically, the scoped LR does have the fastest kill times of all the rifles, so there has to be reasons people aren't using it. In a perfect world, yes the LR wins every time. But how come I'm not seeing people rape with the LR?

Because not everyone is as MLG as they think they are...

I used to find threads still getting replies like this laughable. Now I just find it bitter and sad. There are so many better threads than this that people continually overlook because they'd rather be stuck in this endless battle of OP weapons. Hearing about the DMR is almost as bad as another person saying the BS is OP...

Take some time to read other threads. It might surprise you what you COULD be spending your time on. And I'm not here to tell you how to spend your time again. I'm just saying these threads with 90 replies are seriously just annoying now.

Well for what it's worth this is my last reply. Have fun on the forums.

• 3 months later...