Why are teammates so frustrating?

SkItZo1041

Here's a few things that just get me so agitated when it comes to team-based games. I don't know what's worse.

1) People playing objective, but going for kills?

Just played a game of CTF, as I love to play objective. Once again, I was paired up with a group of kids who will go around the map getting kills, rather than grab the flag. Why do they play objective gametypes, JUST TO GET KILLS? UGH. I thought one guy was coming with me to grab the flag once... no, he went with me to grab their sniper, and left me to get a double kill with a magnum and pummel, before getting killed by the third guy. I mean, they don't even get their kills in a strategic way, like defending the flag or something! They just go on their side and try to spawn kill half the time. The WORST games of all, are when you're the ONLY one going for the flag, and somehow you make it back with no shields, then your teammate betrays you, takes the flag, and scores. GO PLAY SLAYER. Or jump off a cliff, that works too. A little sunlight never hurt anybody so get out of your damn basement.

2) Teammates, not being teammates.

I understand that teammates can't always help you kill someone, but when they just watch me get shot at... I just wish I could kick them right then and there. Just got done with some BTB (well by done I mean just quit out because I had a team of people who seemingly have never played Halo or a first-person shooter, for that matter, in their life) and I was raging. One of the many scenarios was there were these two guys on their team shooting at me on Exile. I took out one of their shields and ran back to three of my teammates for cover. One guy watched me from a bit of a distance, no shooting, hardly moving. Another dropped a Rocket Launcher and ran away. The last guy followed the kid with the rockets. There were two people, one with no shields, and my team just left me for dead. The enemies were close enough to be on radar, and right in plain sight. The kid who watched me just got killed by the other two, maybe hit with one or two bullets before he died. The only logical explanation I see is that he just bought his very first Xbox today. I like to think of it that way because then it's almost justifiable. Almost. The thing that made me quit... he was watching me take down a kids shields a little bit later... then proceeded to take one, final shot at his head. Didn't help me out one bit, but decided to take my kill. I was about to try out my Halo 4:Frisbee Edition disc outside.

3) Careless teammates...

Why do teammates insist on walking in front of you or bumping into you while scoped in with a weapon? If you're in the middle of nowhere, or on the side of a bridge or something, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROOM TO WALK AROUND. I realize that you might be lazy, but you're moving your thumbs for Christ's sake. Other instances of careless teammates include friendly vehicles not caring if you're in the middle of the road (or the side of the road for that matter), or making a heavy vehicle angry, and running TOWARDS your teammates. Oh I just love it when someone shoots a tank with a DMR, then runs straight at me. Is it a secret plot to give the other multikills? I gotta admit, it works out great... for the other team.

Those are just a few things. I just think teamwork is a pretty straightforward thing, why is it so hard to understand? It really seems like people go out of their way, just to be a horrible teammate. I mean, playing with Hellen Keller the Headless Chicken on my team isn't so bad, but when almost everybody is like that... it makes me wonder why people even bother with War Games.

• Like 2

Skit, I seem to be put on team stupid a lot too.

Generally we get a full group going in the evenings, but I play off hours sometimes by myself. It can be pretty bad, usually if I'm on a team that's absolutely terrible I'll back out and rejoin to try and get a new group.

Also I think they should rename big team, to bigteam Ragnarok/Exile. I like the maps and all, but not EVERY single game. Seems to be all randoms vote for.

Unfortunately it's a side effect of online video games becoming popular. The day the Xbox 360 came out the average IQ of people online took a massive nosedive. It's no different in any other online game, just look at COD/Battlefield. For some reason all the kids wanna be a sniper like there's something really awesome about hiding in a bush miles from the fight. Personally I think you should have to pass some sort of exam before you're allowed on the Internet but since it's not gonna happen I tend to mainly play with friends. I'd advise you to do the same.

• Like 2

Everyone plays the game differently. People complaining about teammates has been going on since Halo 2 was online. Personally, I'm a guy who goes for kills in Objective because I take a defense-first approach. What I've found typically helps with randoms is to just get on a mic and try to rally the troops. If a team truly cares about winning, they will usually attempt to stick to a general gameplan if no one else is speaking up.

Skit, I seem to be put on team stupid a lot too.

Generally we get a full group going in the evenings, but I play off hours sometimes by myself. It can be pretty bad, usually if I'm on a team that's absolutely terrible I'll back out and rejoin to try and get a new group.

Also I think they should rename big team, to bigteam Ragnarok/Exile. I like the maps and all, but not EVERY single game. Seems to be all randoms vote for.

Same here. I play with friends a lot and all, and no we're not the greatest Halo players a lot of the time, but we can at least score points in objective, not splatter each other (accidentally at least...lol), etc.. But when I'm by myself, it's like teammwork is out of the question. And yea, the maps never really change for BTB. Or any gametype, for that matter.

Have to agree teammates in this game are worse than i can remember, got a 29 kill streak in a few mins with the tank on exile (first life) only to find we were losing after i respawned how???? not sure lol.

They often hide rather than help leading to them finishing off your hard work if you don't TBH its lost the old halo auto team but hopefully its just stupidity that can be knocked out of em.

I completly feel you Skit and it has been making me mad a couple of times aswell. Another thing I've been thinking about considering bad team play is that on the smaller maps, for like 4v4 slayer and such, almost everyone tends to go scattered on their own little "lone wolf side-mission" instead of going in pairs or threes. Teaming up like that would really change the battle in so many ways, one being that you probably won't die because you stumpled upon a single player who happened to get his sights on you first.

If you are in need of decent people to play with I'd love to join you some time mate, just add me if you feel like it. GT: BentPowerslap

• Like 2

It also enamors me how selfish and pretty much unaware teammates can be. I just love it when you're getting shot and retreating ( I mean moving back but shooting the enemy, because you have no hope of running away and living) hoping a teammate near you will do anything, but they just camp behind a wall and wait for an assassination/surprise attack, or just chuck 'nades at your direction, hoping to hit your pursuers.

As always, I recommend playing with friends. A full team of friends for objective types especially. 1 or 2 random players might just mess up your intended play style or composition you're going for. Hate having a belligerent, fool of a teammate screw up defense and offense in CTF.

I completly feel you Skit and it has been making me mad a couple of times aswell. Another thing I've been thinking about considering bad team play is that on the smaller maps, for like 4v4 slayer and such, almost everyone tends to go scattered on their own little "lone wolf side-mission" instead of going in pairs or threes. Teaming up like that would really change the battle in so many ways, one being that you probably won't die because you stumpled upon a single player who happened to get his sights on you first.

If you are in need of decent people to play with I'd love to join you some time mate, just add me if you feel like it. GT: BentPowerslap

Pairing up is like, common knowledge and yet they still just run off by themselves lol. I've seen my friend (he doesn't have an xbox, I consider him the worst Halo player ever, and anyone who does worse than him should sell their game) grab a sniper and go try to pummel people. Wtf!? Yesterday I was playing 4v4 on Complex, and the other team had control of one of the rooms. They were camping hardcore with a scattershot, saw, etc.. And my teammates were practically marching in one by one getting slaughtered. Then respawn, repeat! I ended up getting a Frenzy right there, as I was shooting from a distance with a DMR. It just drives me nuts lol. And yea sure, I'll add ya man.

Don't want to be a critic or anything, buth here the thing:

Here's a few things that just get me so agitated when it comes to team-based games. I don't know what's worse.

1) People playing objective, but going for kills?

Just played a game of CTF, as I love to play objective. Once again, I was paired up with a group of kids who will go around the map getting kills, rather than grab the flag. Why do they play objective gametypes, JUST TO GET KILLS? UGH. I thought one guy was coming with me to grab the flag once... no, he went with me to grab their sniper, and left me to get a double kill with a magnum and pummel, before getting killed by the third guy. I mean, they don't even get their kills in a strategic way, like defending the flag or something! They just go on their side and try to spawn kill half the time. The WORST games of all, are when you're the ONLY one going for the flag, and somehow you make it back with no shields, then your teammate betrays you, takes the flag, and scores. GO PLAY SLAYER. Or jump off a cliff, that works too. A little sunlight never hurt anybody so get out of your damn basement.

I do understand that in objective game such as Capture the Flag, all players should do the objective. But please be aware, some players are not intending to be an ass to you. Some people just want to act like 'support' teammates and 'support' their team and not do the objective. You obviously never played King of the hill, because ALL players are doing the objecive on there, same as Oddball. Again, some players want to 'support' their teammates. Usually, when I play a game of Capture the Flag, there's usually some players trying to get the flag.

2) Teammates, not being teammates.

I understand that teammates can't always help you kill someone, but when they just watch me get shot at... I just wish I could kick them right then and there. Just got done with some BTB (well by done I mean just quit out because I had a team of people who seemingly have never played Halo or a first-person shooter, for that matter, in their life) and I was raging. One of the many scenarios was there were these two guys on their team shooting at me on Exile. I took out one of their shields and ran back to three of my teammates for cover. One guy watched me from a bit of a distance, no shooting, hardly moving. Another dropped a Rocket Launcher and ran away. The last guy followed the kid with the rockets. There were two people, one with no shields, and my team just left me for dead. The enemies were close enough to be on radar, and right in plain sight. The kid who watched me just got killed by the other two, maybe hit with one or two bullets before he died. The only logical explanation I see is that he just bought his very first Xbox today. I like to think of it that way because then it's almost justifiable. Almost. The thing that made me quit... he was watching me take down a kids shields a little bit later... then proceeded to take one, final shot at his head. Didn't help me out one bit, but decided to take my kill. I was about to try out my Halo 4:Frisbee Edition disc outside.

Agreed. We all get stupid teammates, I'll get teammates who want to get in the Warthog, see me trying to get in, and take off. But, this is how the online gaming community is. Just like the game box says, online gameplay is NOT rated by the ESRB.

3) Careless teammates...

Why do teammates insist on walking in front of you or bumping into you while scoped in with a weapon? If you're in the middle of nowhere, or on the side of a bridge or something, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROOM TO WALK AROUND. I realize that you might be lazy, but you're moving your thumbs for Christ's sake. Other instances of careless teammates include friendly vehicles not caring if you're in the middle of the road (or the side of the road for that matter), or making a heavy vehicle angry, and running TOWARDS your teammates. Oh I just love it when someone shoots a tank with a DMR, then runs straight at me. Is it a secret plot to give the other multikills? I gotta admit, it works out great... for the other team.

Those are just a few things. I just think teamwork is a pretty straightforward thing, why is it so hard to understand? It really seems like people go out of their way, just to be a horrible teammate. I mean, playing with Hellen Keller the Headless Chicken on my team isn't so bad, but when almost everybody is like that... it makes me wonder why people even bother with War Games.

First off, just because it's called 'Team Slayer' doesn't mean it has to require teamwork. It just means that players will be put into teams and they have to score for their team by getting kills. It doesn't require 'teamwork' at all. There's not going to be anybody barking out orders, directions, and team communication orders.

This is all part of gaming. Also, calling those people 'kids' is just immature behavior. Just because they are acting strange doesn't make them a 'kid', even if their behavior assumes they are, which is another problem with the community.

I have the same problem with my teams (most of the time). It would be nice to have some support when i'm in BTB, but most of the time I feel like i'm playing regicide (NO BACK UP).

If anyone wants a competent, experienced player on their team feel free to message me. (GT: Irishdude117)

To be honest I can agree with almost all said by the author of this thread but unlike the author it does not annoy me as I expect it to be honest.

Teammates not being teammates: Unfortunatley a lot of the kids playing have grown up on COD and this is the biggest problem here, they see an enemy and there auto reaction is to run away to place that provides more cover and wait for him rather than go attack. They fail to realise that 2 on 1 is garunteed victory unless you are useless and leave you stuck 1 on 1 or outnumbered.

Objective games: Well this has always been a problem and all the excuses about support teamates is pure and utter bs. I play these game modes with friends and we destroy teams, we often all have negative ratios but on CTF we will win 5-1 and the highest killer (on either side) will only get 9 kills as the other teams are fools coming into a game to try for easy kills as they are not good enough for slayer.

Careless Teammates: Well this is all over the game and something i hate is that 343 have allowed you to be pushed by your own teammates!! I hate it when a player pushes me causing me to lose sight or a finishing shot on a target or pushing me from cover and getting me killed. The other thing that is a problem is the amount of times teammates can betray you by running over you with vehicles and you do not get a chance to boot them (happens a lot in BTB). The booting option should be more readily available as then people will learn to watch where they are going (besides now you can boot someone and the game will replace them in a few seconds).

Despite all the above its still fun which is always the aim of Halo.. try to build a group of online friends for objective games (for example in 3 I had a group I played griffball with, just met them all in the game mode)

To the guy above raving at the author well I have to say what a load of bull you talk lol, Teams (real teams will always dominate in this game they have Regicide for those who cannot play as part of a team)

• Like 1

My recommended remedy: find enough people who enjoy custom games (and who can get along well enough) and play with them. Get comfortable being put in different teams among the same group of people, get to know them a little bit, and more fun will be had by all.

After Halo 2, I think I lost touch with this funtime aspect of multiplayer, because I could no longer regularly play in games with several folks I knew (or at least kinda knew). Good competition without the discomfort of strangers' behavior is more fun, in my opinion.

|

V

diagnosis' are available for you, 343 Industries:

1. Reform Psych Profile where it determines your style automatically by reviewing your playstyle

2. Remove the ability to earn kill points in Objective

3. Ban outgoing underaged players

I'm interested to know how you would classify playstyles person to person. Personally, I can see how a system could be developed that would put labels on players (based on physical, recorded statistics) such as "slow mover", "fast paced", "accurate shooter", "auto weapons adept", so on and so forth.

It's just a few easy kills for players with no skill. The other team are too busy with the objective, so they can just pick them off. Stop giving kill points in objective games and it'll stop.

There's a problem with your idea: That'll just discourage players from getting kills in the game. In all multiplayer matches in any video game, players should receive points or at least rewarded for their kills. Also, Halo: Reach and 3 never scored players on their skills. Each remained 0 until you complete the objective.

Again, I am 98% sure some players want to support their team by getting kills and providing covering fire so that others who are willing to do the objective can succeed.

However, you can't just demand that players stay on Slayer if they wish to kill and not to do the objective as you (and the game developers) can't make a virtual game policy that requires players to play by a certain strategy. When you buy a game, you have a full right to play it however you want as long as you are not violating the Terms of Use, which does not say that you must stick to the objective.

Are you even aware of what your teammates are doing? Some of them could be trying to get the flag. Some of them (like I said) could be supporting their teammates. You're just taking it way too personnel.

If you're thinking about a kick feature, then you're absolutely taking the game too seriously. You're going to get stupid teammates. I've dealt with stupid teammates that just run off in the Warthog, even after you tried telling them you are a ride. This has been going on every since multiplayer gaming was invented and published. The only gaming community that has no excuse for their inappropriate behavior is the Left 4 Dead community.

It seems that Halo 4 matchmaking is still using the model of Halo Reach's matchmaking. Ultimately, this boils down to the currently hidden skill system which 343 needs to improve so that each player can play against others of similar skill and have the best Halo experience possible.