Hardlight shield drawbacks

Leo M.

I see it as almost pointless.

Yes your teammate can save you sometimes but I haven't seen that happen very often, and I agree your shield should regenerate as normal.

Its a perk which relies on the help of your teammates to be effective and lets be honest, teammates aren't always helpful.

I prefer to have a perk that I can rely on.

you have to understand how to use it. ile give u an example. the other day i was comming up on a guy. i noticed he was going to melee me so i threw up my shield for 1 to 2 seconds blocked the melee and had a significant shield advantage. It blocks grenades as well so if u every get stuck in a situation where you get caught with a nade at your feet, block it. it blocks explosives. its really quite handy if you use it to get out of sticky situations and go around corners. its more of a defensive oh **** button. use it for quick reflex blocks or use it to retire around a corner. i love the thing

Both hard light shield and thruster pack are almost pointless to use har light with not shield generation and thruster with a very short distance(i wish it could be like in campaign that it has like increase the speed before use the ability not slow it down after the push thing..if anyone understand.. )

so yea by the replies most people say that it should not allow regen. but how about removing the movement penalty so you can move at normal speed, no sprinting of course, because i dont believe something like this that allows you to only block damage from one side should have 2 penalties to it.

I saw someone mention armor lock in this thread, armor lock really wasnt that bad. All you have to do is stand a good distance away from the enemy and drop a nade on them at the right time.

Hard Light Shield is waaaayyyy to slow. If anyone gets within melee distance, and you have it on, it's game over. I mean, my other hand is free. Why can't I punch them? Or shield bash them? Or drop a grenade? It's kind useless except at a range when you can get around a corner and save yourself from that headshot, and occasionally in cqc if you have good team mates.

I don't think any armor ability should have to rely on your team mates to be effective, though. it should simply be more effective with the help of your team mates.

A lotof the armor abilities are busted imo.

• Like 1

No regenerating shields, otherwise we'll have another armour lock on our hands.

That doesn't make it anything like Armor Lock.

I use the shield to make a getaway. I think it should be able to regen shields, no reason not to really. If it's so easy to counter, why not? If you can't kill someone using a shield, then that's your problem. A simple grenade behind them, punch to the side, etc.

It should definitely have shield regen imo. Otherwise you have to hope to get around a corner before they run up to you, or prolong your death. I didn't know they took shield regen out of it, but now it just seems pointless to me..

And even with regen, it's nothing like armor lock though. You could still actually kill them. Plus huge power weapons and nades still get through

Both hard light shield and thruster pack are almost pointless to use har light with not shield generation and thruster with a very short distance(i wish it could be like in campaign that it has like increase the speed before use the ability not slow it down after the push thing..if anyone understand.. )

It depends on how you use them, I've used both with quite a bit of success. However I use them for last minute getting into cover. So it really depends on your playstyle. Neither is going to help you run out in the middle and be Rambo.

I generally don't keep them on my loadouts right now. I basically tailored all of my loadouts for specific gametypes and to compliment what my friends use.

I was wondering if it didn't allow you to regen. That's pretty rediculous. I don't think a defensive ability should actually PROLONG the amount of time you are without shields. That's kind of contradictory you actually incur a serious disadvantage even on a defensive level from putting up the shield.

I would personally like it best if they removed the lag time after putting it down. It's killer, as has been said. It allows any player to get a free melee (and basically a kill) if they get close enough to you while you have the shield up.

The shield could be a very useful tool for a CQB/Assault Rifle class, but instead if generally just gets you killed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was armor lock a bad armor ability. Was it the cheap factor or useless personally armor lock was my favorite along with the natural evade. It seemed fair that for armor lock you are bound where its activated but in return you are invincible. Allowing enough time to plan a quick plan of attack or retreat. And the other fact that it could be used as an emp device for when you have several enemies surrounding you. Your able to deflect them easy. Personal halo reach was my second favorite halo game with halo 3 being my first. Halo 4 is my least favorite game. If they could mix both gameplay for reach and 3 id be well satisfied. I love halo but this game isnt halo at least not the game i used to love

I think you should be allowed to regen your shield while using the hardlight shield. I mean, you're movment is encumbered and you're completely vulnerable from the sides and back. Typically I just throw a grenade right behind someone who throws it up in front of me OR I just jump over them and melee them in head, lol.

It wouldn't be overpowered if shields regen'd while using it. In fact, I thought that was kind of the point, survivability.

Hard light shield seems only useful if your opponent is at a distance and you need an extra second to get into cover.

Although I took a direct rocket launcher with it recently and survived.

Thoroughly agree about the thruster. It's so bad at the moment it defies belief. I loved evade in reach - thruster pack is like it's 'special' cousin.

Why was armor lock a bad armor ability. Was it the cheap factor or useless personally armor lock was my favorite along with the natural evade. It seemed fair that for armor lock you are bound where its activated but in return you are invincible. Allowing enough time to plan a quick plan of attack or retreat. And the other fact that it could be used as an emp device for when you have several enemies surrounding you. Your able to deflect them easy. Personal halo reach was my second favorite halo game with halo 3 being my first. Halo 4 is my least favorite game. If they could mix both gameplay for reach and 3 id be well satisfied. I love halo but this game isnt halo at least not the game i used to love

I like evade, but Armour lock was hands down THE worst thing about reach.

It was especially stupid on small maps, where rooms would be full of people using Armor Lock. It's like a game of ******* whack-a-mole.

It was also lame that a good, skilfully thrown sticky could be negated by just pressing a button.

But, the dumbest thing about it was that the user could regenerate shields AND look around while in Armour lock, this meant when they came out of armour lock they would suddenly be facing you; now with full shields.

I didn't find amor lock to be that annoying in reach and I wasn't a person that used it regurlarly. Hardlight sheild is almost useless in this game, reduced speed without better coverage just opens one up for so many angles of attack. Combine that with not being able to charge your sheild while it's up there are very few situations where it is all that usefull.

Armor lock was awesome, you guys just never learned to use it correctly, right before a melee just drop it and take no damage. Then release it the other guy gets shields drained and you can finish him off.

Hardlight shield is the same way, drop it right before a melee, then melee them back, you now have a huge advantage. Also grenade protection and if you use it around corners then those noob boltshot kids will waste their charge on your shield allowing you time to punish them for using the cheapest gun in the game.