Petition to remove Sword Block

CommonDiscipIe

The sword block is outright ridiculous, and stupid. Why did Bungie even implement it?

If you are dumb enough to charge at me with an AR and jetpack, you should be punished by my sword. If I was stealthy enough to get close to you, without you knowing, you should be punished. If I have power weapon and map control, you should be punished. All the other CQB exclusive weapons (Grav Hammer, Shotty) don't have a block, why nerf the Sword? And why buff the shotgun as well?

Also, Sword Block causes EXTREMELY unbalanced gameplay in Invasion as well. The Elites get Sword( Countered by every other class because of Sword Block) and Plasma Repeater (Damn near useless because you already have a weapon used for CQB), and Hologram. The Spartans "counter-part" gets Shotgun (Unstoppable at CQB) and Magnum (Great overall weapon for Mid-Range) and Armor Lock. With Armor Lock, if I do manage to stick you or something like that, then you can Armor Lock. You live, I die.

At the very least, could we get Evade for the Gladiator class? Or a Needle Rifle? Or nerf the Shotgun Class?

Now, I know I strayed away from the original topic of Sword Block, but remember that the point of the petition is to get rid of sword block.

Please sign this petition to get rid of Sword Block.

To be honest, I think sword block isn't that big of a deal. You say shotgun has an advantage because of sword block, but sword block actually evens them out. A sword can lunge at their enemy, while a shotgun can't. The lunge makes killing people with a sword much easier. Even though you can get swordblocked, barely like 30% of the people I lunge at are able to block it. And even if I do get blocked I just hit them again, it's not that hard. Also if you have sprint you can just run and slash getting alot of easy kills and swordblock allows a counter.

Don't get me wrong I get pissed if a guy keeps swordblocking me. But it keeps balance in the game. :thumbup:

To be honest, I think sword block isn't that big of a deal. You say shotgun has an advantage because of sword block, but sword block actually evens them out. A sword can lunge at their enemy, while a shotgun can't. The lunge makes killing people with a sword much easier. Even though you can get swordblocked, barely like 30% of the people I lunge at are able to block it. And even if I do get blocked I just hit them again, it's not that hard. Also if you have sprint you can just run and slash getting alot of easy kills and swordblock allows a counter.

Don't get me wrong I get pissed if a guy keeps swordblocking me. But it keeps balance in the game. :thumbup:

The lunge is a disadvantage...

It gives time for a Bulltrue. It is MUCH easier to kill with the Shotgun, because all you have to do is Aim and pull the trigger, and you get the kill.

And what if the Sword blocker has a Shotgun, Jetpack, Sniper, Rockets, or Plasma Grenades? Then it gets pretty hard to hit them again.

I do see your point on Sprint + Sword. But to even that out, all they need to do is make the draw time for the sword much longer after a sprint. Because right now, the system to counter Sprint + Sword screws over the sword in every other situation.

The lunge is a disadvantage...

It gives time for a Bulltrue. It is MUCH easier to kill with the Shotgun, because all you have to do is Aim and pull the trigger, and you get the kill.

And what if the Sword blocker has a Shotgun, Jetpack, Sniper, Rockets, or Plasma Grenades? Then it gets pretty hard to hit them again.

I do see your point on Sprint + Sword. But to even that out, all they need to do is make the draw time for the sword much longer after a sprint. Because right now, the system to counter Sprint + Sword screws over the sword in every other situation.

Lunge lets you come close to the enemy real quick and kill them in one fast movement, otherwise you would have to be super close to kill them.

Bulltrues are hard to get (it's why there is a medal for it). I checked some peeps medals on the reach stats section and one guy has only about 500 bulltrues for his over 5,000 games (Inheritor).

Shotgun isn't just a shoot kill, you have to be at a much closer range. Usually, it takes two shots to kill one guy from where you can sword lunge.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I say swordblock is fair play. :good:

Your basing your answer off the shotgun, look at this from another perspective:

You only have a magnum, and there is a sword guy coming TOWARDS YOU, you sword block him but you still die because even though you are sword blocked the time of getting into the sword block and getting out of it, is miniscule so u can lunge again and most likely kill the guy.

I think they should make sword block longer if anything.

Nope, it's one of the things that makes Halo: Reach like Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo: 2, Halo: 3, and Halo: 3 ODST similar. Plus I have two good opinions for you. 1. LEARN HOW TO USE THE SWORD THE RIGHT WAY. 2. If YOU don't like it DON'T play.

Now can we move on?

Nope, it's one of the things that makes Halo: Reach like Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo: 2, Halo: 3, and Halo: 3 ODST similar. Plus I have two good opinions for you. 1. LEARN HOW TO USE THE SWORD THE RIGHT WAY. 2. If YOU don't like it DON'T play.

Now can we move on?

Learn to use it the right way?

What are you talking about? No matter how you use the sword, it is block-able. And I love the game, just not Sword Block. I am giving constructive criticism on the forums. Isn't that what they are for?

Well sword block has saved my butt a couple times because without it i wouldn't stand any chance to a guy with a sword.

But the thing is, is that he deserved his kill. You got trapped in his weapons insta-kill range, which is a whopping 6ft. How many times have you survived when you are trapped in a corner with a Grav Hammer wielder?

You SHOULDN'T stand a chance against someone with a sword in CQB.

this is pointless they're not going to remove the sword parry yeah thats right its called a parry not a block and if some one does parry you immediately press melee ig works quicker than lunge

If they have Rocket, Shotgun, Sniper, or Plasma Grenades then you will die before you can go again.

If they have Armor Lock, Jetpack, or Evade, then they can run away or wait for a teammate to come help.

@ CommonDisciple

if your charging with the sword against any of those weapons your a idiot and you shouldnt be using the sword

Who said I was charging? What if we turned the corner and were face to face?

I definitely know how to play this game. I am not complaining for the kids that put their head down and charging into a crowd of people with a sword.

^USE YOUR RADAR if you turn a corner you should always make sure the enemy isnt there and if they are there FLANK THEM and as for armour lock just move on dont waste your time getting emp'd and ganged up on one kill isnt worth losing the sword to the other team

^USE YOUR RADAR if you turn a corner you should always make sure the enemy isnt there and if they are there FLANK THEM and as for armour lock just move on dont waste your time getting emp'd and ganged up on one kill isnt worth losing the sword to the other team

He's got the sword, he's not going to run away from a close quarters encounter. Sword Block is just another example of the skill gap being lessened in order to cater to the masses and the less talented.

It should be removed; it doesn't even make sense. My arm can block the sword randomly but usually if I get hit by it, I die instantly? What?

And like the poster above me said, why would I run away from a CQB battle with the Sword?

1. I play mostly Invasion, so there is no worry about losing the sword to Spartans, when they have the Shotty which is better anyway.

2. If you are playing against anyone good, they crouch almost everywhere they go. Example: Boneyard, Core Room. Most people crouch around the Spartan Armory.

3. I don't get EMP'd against the AL users, you would have to be horrible at the game to be dumb enough to get that close to them.

4. And what if there are no flank routes? They are heading straight to the door that I'm at, I get to the side of the door and wait for them. They turn the corner and I lunge. Sword Blocked. I'm about to begin my next lunge/melee, and I get shot with one of the above weapons I listed.