Gravity Hammer

arthurjr98

Why is there a gravity hammer in the last level of Halo 4?

Don't get me wrong, its a badFLOWER weapon and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was available for use in the campaign.

But does a Brute weapon have any kind of tie-in to the story at all? There were obviously no Brutes featured in Halo 4, and the gravity hammer is the only Brute weapon (that I know of) thats accessible through the campaign. Elites and other Covenant races don't use the gravity hammer either. So it wouldn't make sense that this splinter group of Covenant would be using Brute weapons.

So how does the gravity hammer come to find its way on Didact's ship? Or did 343 just throw it in there for nostalgic purposes knowing that it would be widely welcomed by players to unleash on Promethean Knights?

I'm probably looking a little too much into this.

Edited by BeckoningZebra1
Fix'd cursing

We aren't actually 343i they are over at HaloWaypoint, but we can answer your question regardless. 

I am pretty sure it was put in because we needed a gravity hammer somewhere in the game. Think of it as a fun addition and not representative to the lore at all.

I remember when I first played that mission and I saw said Gravity Hammer it got me dumbstruck for a few seconds. It was pretty fun to use on Crawlers though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^

Well there is none..... why would the Didacts ship even be on Requiem anyway? I don't know but even if it made sense for it to be there, why does it have human and Covenant weaponry on it?

It just makes no sense, like a lot of Halo 4 to be honest when you think about it. :)

I have been wondering the same thing, how on earth did it get there? I have been pondering for a while, but I still have no logical explanation.

Its probably the same reason that you can get Human weapons there too. They just give you a wide selection

I'm pretty sure it's there mainly for the 'Chief Smash!' achievement. I don't see why the Forerunners would have had a Brute Weapon, so it may not be a lore-based feature. I guess 343 just wanted to throw in some fun and create a challenging achievement to gain. The Gravity Hammer has became sort of an iconic weapon from Halo, nothing like the Energy Sword, but still easily recognisable. They may have brought it back for the fans. :)

• Like 1

Well there is none..... why would the Didacts ship even be on Requiem anyway? I don't know but even if it made sense for it to be there, why does it have human and Covenant weaponry on it?

It just makes no sense, like a lot of Halo 4 to be honest when you think about it. :)

It makes perfect sense. The Librarian intended that the Didact would eventually be able to work with humanity once he'd awoken, and he'd need a ship both to get off Requiem and then to actually help us afterward: plus, I'm not actually convinced that it's a warship. There are a few point defence guns, sure, but as we've seen they're incapable of shooting down a single Broadsword fighter craft (and compare that to how brutally effective most other Forerunner dedicated weapons systems are), and since the Composer, its main weapon, isn't actually part of the ship but was basically just bolted onto it after the attack on Ivanoff Station, it's quite possibly just an oversized freighter or research vessel retroffited with whatever weapons the Didact could find.

As for why there are human and Covenant weapons on it - this also makes perfect sense. When you fight an enemy, you want to learn as much about them as possible, and that means examining their technology and comparing it to your own. It's fairly heavily implied throughout the mission 'Infinity' that the only reason any of the Marines you encounter survive is because the Chief was there - and even then, particularly on the higher difficulties you can expect a lot of them to die. Since the last time the Didact met humanity they'd been stripped of all their technology, it makes sense that he'd want to study them to see how far they'd come while he was locked away, and so once a group of Prometheans had finished off a group of Marines or Covenant, they'd almost certainly retrieve their weapons for study. Plus, once the Covenant had surrendered to the Didact, I'm sure they'd consider it an honour to give up their weapons to him if he asked, and since the Gravity Hammer is a status symbol for Brutes, he'd definitely want to see it, especially as it's so rare compared to the Energy Sword - which is now apparently standard-issue to pretty much every Elite rather than being restricted to higher castes. This is speculation, sure, but it does make sense in context and fits with what we know of the Didact.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see what's so impossible about the Didact taking weapons and putting them in an armory. He has the Covenant serving him, so it's probably intended for their use. Specifically by Brutes if he can gain their allegiance. Or maybe without the Prophets, the Covenant no longer have any issue with using other races' weapons, and it's for the Elites.

Yes, but....

1 When did the weapons even have time to get aboard his ship? The only time the ship stopped was when it was under fire at that space station place, on Earth it kept coming.

2 How did the Elites even get a hold of the Gravity hammer anyway? Brutes and Elites are largely at war. :)

Why would they even have one just lying around?

Yes, but....

1 When did the weapons even have time to get aboard his ship? The only time the ship stopped was when it was under fire at that space station place, on Earth it kept coming.

2 How did the Elites even get a hold of the Gravity hammer anyway? Brutes and Elites are largely at war. :)

Why would they even have one just lying around?

1. Prometheans have the ability to teleport. I'm sure being brought back to their ship shouldn't be a problem. Kind of like how you can bring some of your Covenant units to your leader or return your leader back to base in Halo Wars.

2. Exactly. Brutes and Elites are at war, meaning that obtaining a Gravity Hammer shouldn't be too hard. The Elites would just kill a Chieftan, and return the Chieftan's Gravity Hammer to the Didact. I'm sure you are aware that the Elites and Brutes were also both part of the Covenant, so I'd be surprised if all the Elites didn't have one Gravity Hammer. It couldn't be hard for the Didact and his army to get one Gravity Hammer.

• 2 weeks later...
^

But in that span of time....

I mean The Didact flies down into his ship, ship takes off and leaves Requim within minutes.... :)

I just don't think he would have the timeframe to do all that.

He is a Forerunner and has superior equipment to humanity. He easily could have done that. The Elites most likely had the Gravity Hammer before the Chief even showed up. Other things happen at the same time even though they are not shown you know. Besides, if you were with the Covenant wouldn't you want their weapons?

• Like 1