Assassin's Creed: Unity Combat Revamped; Counter Removed

In an interview on Ubisoft's site with Unity's Lead Game Designer, Alex Pedneault, it was revealed the combat system in-game has been done over with an entirely new design, and the basic Block has been removed, meaning players can no longer simply press a button at the right time to block.

Assassin's Creed: Unity's stellar debut at Xbox's E3 2014 Conference amazed many, fans and passersby alike, with an seemingly improved system, especially combat-wise. On Ubi.com, an interview was conducted with the man above, where he talked about the revamp in the fighting system in Unity. With a new engine, changes could be made, and one of the biggest is the removal of the basic Block. He said, “We still have counter moves like the parry, perfect parry and dodge but it is much harder to kill NPCs right away . . . Instead of simply pressing “B”, you now have to work for the kill." He also put emphasis on the idea of combat not being impossible, and that a small group of enemies shouldn't be too hard, but as they kept piling on, the player would have to develop new tactics and possibly evade the group. The spotlight then shifted to the new addition to Arno's arsenal, the Phantom Blade, acting as a hidden blade crossed with a Bow and Arrow system, which could prove useful for stealth, or for easy potshots. 

post-26953-0-05143900-1402540052_thumb.png

Did you like the block system in the previous Assassin's Creed titles, or are you glad to see such an overpowered system stripped out from the game? Let me know below, thanks for reading!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 1

The block system was far too easy. I remember the battles being 10X easier than the stealth sequences. Make it more difficult I say! You're an assassin, not some overpowered swordsman...

...Even though the assassins are probably pretty good swordsman anyway.