•  

Toggle shoutbox 343i Community Shoutbox

@  343iBot : (24 August 2019 - 12:49 AM) Welcome to the forums, Inhast! :welcome: View Inhast's Profile
@  343iBot : (23 August 2019 - 10:54 PM) Welcome to the forums, BeJimmieFrits! :welcome: View BeJimmieFrits's Profile
@  Twinreaper : (23 August 2019 - 07:44 PM) It's mildly aight
@  Mr Kittens a... : (23 August 2019 - 02:58 PM) Damn, Death Note is so gud.
@  343iBot : (23 August 2019 - 09:36 AM) Welcome to the forums, RichardRef! :welcome: View RichardRef's Profile
@  343iBot : (22 August 2019 - 09:07 PM) Welcome to the forums, tibunlomru! :welcome: View tibunlomru's Profile
@  343iBot : (22 August 2019 - 08:14 PM) Welcome to the forums, SparkKemppi! :welcome: View SparkKemppi's Profile
@  Halo6 Follower : (22 August 2019 - 07:38 PM) Oof
@  Maestro : (22 August 2019 - 06:11 PM) all right, who got complacent?
@  343iBot : (22 August 2019 - 03:31 PM) Welcome to the forums, JeremyMam! :welcome: View JeremyMam's Profile
@  Jack Of Harts : (22 August 2019 - 01:04 PM)
@  Halo6 Follower : (22 August 2019 - 09:03 AM) Great thanks buddo! Yourself?
@  UNSC Spartan-II : (22 August 2019 - 09:01 AM) How we all doing?
@  Halo6 Follower : (21 August 2019 - 07:46 PM) I think that worked, none in the last 10 hours
@  Halo6 Follower : (21 August 2019 - 09:34 AM) Lol
@  Drizzy_Dan : (21 August 2019 - 09:25 AM) Crap crap crap
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 11:36 PM) Welcome to the forums, Williamfueft! :welcome: View Williamfueft's Profile
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 05:28 PM) Welcome to the forums, latamdateyic! :welcome: View latamdateyic's Profile
@  Maestro : (20 August 2019 - 04:11 PM) 343iBot needs to denounce her fellow spambots
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 03:59 PM) Welcome to the forums, ukrainegirlshlc! :welcome: View ukrainegirlshlc's Profile

Photo

Full list of known Halo lore sources

Best Answer CIA391, 28 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Sad news. So you haven't looked at the newest Halo Wars 2 Vidoc then?

Also I'll tend to this.  

You can use the following thread on Waypoint that I update regularly. Its a list of all legally available sources of Halo Lore. With a section dedicated to all the canon marketing.

https://www.halowayp...3ffac4e1a/posts Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

I don't know what to put here

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:BaconShelf
  • LocationSomewhere, Everywhere, Anywhere and Nowhere. And everything inbetween.
2          2         

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

The one pinned is very, very out of date, so I'm creating this. Just a list of sources of info, reliablity and time period.

Also, Catalog's Waypoint posts are to be taken as canon at the time they are posted. Similarly, things like the eleventh hour reports, HunttheTruth, IRIS, ilovebees,data drops and Canon Fodder should be taken as canon. Because these smaller sources are too numerous to list here, this page only covers released media, though a link to the Halo Archive's "Absolute Record"- a series of transcripts and links of these sources- will be provided.

In addition, GrimBrotherOne of 343i confirmed that all visuals and sounds of an Anniversary remake should be taken as canon over the original, one example being the Halo 2 (Anniversary) Gravemind. Similarly, it is now confirmed that the multiplayers of every Halo game take place within the War Games simulations and that every map is also recreated by UNSC technicians for training exercises.

Oh yeah, this list only covers purchasable material. Books, games, comics, DVDs and so forth. Aside from the ARG stuff and trailers. So the smaller tidbits aren't included, only things you can buy.

Games:
Halo: Combat Evolved (Anniversary) 2552. Concurrent with Halo: The Flood
Halo 2 (Anniversary) 2552
Halo 3- 2552/Early 2553
Halo 3: ODST- 2552 (Concurrent with Halo 2)
Halo Wars-2531
Halo: Reach- 2552, partially concurrent with Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo 4- 2557
Halo 4: Spartan Ops- 2558.
Halo: Spartan Assault- 2554 (Simulation), 255X (Out of simulation)
Halo Online- postwar period (2553+)
Halo: Spartan Strike: Rotates between 2552 (Mombasa) and 2557 (Gamma Halo) (Simulations), 255X (Out of simulations)
Halo 5: Guardians- 2558

Novels
Halo: Cryptum- Circa 100,000 BCE
Halo: Primordium- Circa 100,000 BCE
Halo: Silentium- Circa 100,000 BCE
Halo: Rebirth (joint with Silentium)
Halo: The Fall of Reach- 2517-2552. Partially concurrent with Halo: Reach.
Halo: The Flood. 2552 Concurrent with Halo: Combat Evolved.
Halo: First Strike. 2552.
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx- 2552
Halo: Contact Harvest- 2525
Halo: The Cole Protocol- Early in the human-covenant war
Kilo-5 Trilogy (Glasslands, The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata)- 2553
Halo: Broken Circle- Early Covenant Era- 2552
Halo: Hunters in the Dark- 2555
Halo: Last Light - Late 2553 (After the Travissty)
Halo: New Blood (Various. Narration set between 2555 and 2558)

eBook Novellas/ Short Stories
Halo: Evolutions I and II (Not an eBook, but a collection of short stories)
Halo: Saint's Testimony - 2558
Halo: Shadow of Intent - 2553

Halo: Legends
Origins (I+II)- 2554 (Forward Unto Dawn), various time periods (Story)
The Duel- Early Covenant era
Homecoming-2525/2526
Odd One Out- Non-Canon. 25??
Prototype- 25??
The Babysitter- 25??
The Package- 254?
(Note that dev. commentary on Halo Legends confirms that all appearances of Doctor Halsey aren't necissarily canon, but rather art style.)

Other Filmography
Forward Unto Dawn- 2526
Halo: Nightfall- 2556
Halo: Landfall- 2552.
Deliver Hope- 25??
We Are ODST- 25??
Other live trailers- 25-various
Halo: The Butchery of Reach Animated - it sucks don't watch it

Comics (Note that, once again, art style cannot always be canon due to artists interpretation)
Blood Line- 2552
Uprising - 2552
Graphic Novel - 2552
Helljumper- 25??
Initiation- 2553 (At least post-Reach, due to Jun being alive, before Spartan Assault)
Escalation- 2557-2558

Reference books
Encyclopedia- (Two versions)
Halo 3 EVG
Halo 4 EVG
The Art of Halo 3
The Art of Halo 4
The Art of Halo 5: Guardians

Terminals
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary- 100,000 BCE-2552
Halo 2: Anniversary- all story arcs take place in 2552, the story of the arbiter takes place over the lifespan of the Covenant
Halo 3- Pre-Halo Firing
Halo 4- Pre-Halo Firing
Halo 3: ODST Audio Logs- 2552
Halo: Reach Datapads- 2552
Halo Wars Timeline (Black Boxes)- 2525-2552
Halo 5: Guardians Mission Intel - 2558

Marketing Campaigns/ ARGs
ilovebees
IRIS
Believe
Remember Reach
#HUNTtheTRUTH (2558)
#HUNTtheTRUTH Season 2 - (2558)
#HUNTtheSIGNAL
ONI Section 3 (I'll be buggered if I could say I get half of this. It's... Weird)

Halo Board/ Tabletop Games:
Halo Wars RISK
Halo: Fleet Battles - The Fall of Reach

UPCOMING- these will be added into categories as they are released:

Unnamed Spielberg project
Halo Wars 2 (2016)
Halo Mythos Guide (Late 2016)
Halo: The Fall of Reach graphic novel redux - March 2016

Halo: Tales from slipspace (Fall 2016)

As-of-yet unnamed Halo novel listed on Amazon (???)

If I have missed anything, just say, so I can add it.

Useful Links archive- a fairly good list of reliable Halo lore sources and links for online resources
Cheat Sheet - A more complete list that includes campaign/ promotional materials

Edited by BaconShelf, 23 March 2016 - 12:41 PM.

Halo Lore fanatic, purveyor of dank maymays

My writing hub, the Imperial Archive Network

#2 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationSomewhere, Everywhere, Anywhere and Nowhere. And everything inbetween.
2          2         

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Updated the list with upcoming material.

#3 Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan

Jack of all Trades

• 4,037 posts
Legendary
  • Gamertag:LL Kool D
6       2       2                        

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Pinned but I would like to see some pics maybe a bit of sprucing up instead of the long list? :5
"And for the record, I would've kicked your *** the first time if the lady hadn't stopped me."

#4 Rick Amsler

Rick Amsler

Drone

• Members
  • 21 posts
Liked
  • Gamertag:rickrtickr

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I was just wondering specifically why you believe the Kilo 5 trilogy books are Unreliable? I have read through them all about 3 times now and have not really noticed anything that would make them break with halo cannon (in fact many of the plot points in halo 4 spartan ops tie directly to this trilogy)

I am wondering because I am writing a small fan fiction that i am trying to keep as cannon as possible.

As something else technically the halo games are Teir 1 cannon so in reality Halo: The Fall Of Reach is now non-cannon (just a thought)

#5 Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan

Jack of all Trades

• 4,037 posts
Legendary
  • Gamertag:LL Kool D
6       2       2                        

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

I agree with the above. What makes them break canon?
"And for the record, I would've kicked your *** the first time if the lady hadn't stopped me."

#6 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

I was just wondering specifically why you believe the Kilo 5 trilogy books are Unreliable? I have read through them all about 3 times now and have not really noticed anything that would make them break with halo cannon (in fact many of the plot points in halo 4 spartan ops tie directly to this trilogy)

I am wondering because I am writing a small fan fiction that i am trying to keep as cannon as possible.

As something else technically the halo games are Teir 1 cannon so in reality Halo: The Fall Of Reach is now non-cannon (just a thought)

K-5 makes many simple mistakes that shouldn't be happening if the author did the slightest research. IE- calling a plasma torpedo a physical object.

Also, the games have been admitted to be toned down. According to the lore, one plasma bolt should melt your face, and banshees fly faster than modern day fightercraft. Bullets are near useless against covenant soldiers and marines are physically inferior to all but grunts and (Maybe) jackals. Also, UNSC ships can not hover, they do not have anti-gravity or external thrusters.

#7 Caulifla

Caulifla

Master Chief

• Trusted Members
  • 411 posts
Trusted
  • Gamertag:Bekinator
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

Not bad. I like that.

I'm still Berriesboo/Maggie. (Incase if you didn't know i changed my name. :)

bfc26ba2b073d8a39611b63470d707ae3bd703c8

#8 Rick Amsler

Rick Amsler

Drone

• Members
  • 21 posts
Liked

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

K-5 makes many simple mistakes that shouldn't be happening if the author did the slightest research. IE- calling a plasma torpedo a physical object.

Also, the games have been admitted to be toned down. According to the lore, one plasma bolt should melt your face, and banshees fly faster than modern day fightercraft. Bullets are near useless against covenant soldiers and marines are physically inferior to all but grunts and (Maybe) jackals. Also, UNSC ships can not hover, they do not have anti-gravity or external thrusters.

ok  but you haven't stated anything that would make the books themselves unreliable. 

as for the other stuff Technically a plasma torpedo while not a physical case that upon impact explodes is instead super-heated plasma Which is a physical object so that wording is still perfectly valid.

a plasma bolt (depending on the weapon it is fired from has different temperatures and sizes) can give 3rd degree burns and for highpower bolts can burn through a body.

Banshees don't necessarily fly faster than modern air craft (some types can) but it is not a rule, you have to understand that i have never seen a reference in any official halo lore that specifies the top speed of a banshee.

When you are talking about energy shielded opponents yes bullets are of little use, and true - marines are physically infirior to elites and brutes and some jackals (tev'a'oen - if i have that spelled correctly) but as with grunts they are more deadly when in greater numbers.

I don't know where you are jetting your information on this ether but mos UNSC ships can hover (unless you are referring to the lager classes such as destroyers and larger) because the do have external thrusters, or at the very least frigates do.

so if you are referring to minuscule detail that can be debated till the end of time, none of these things cause any of the kilo 5 trilogy to become unreliable resources.

I am sorry if i am being argumentative i just have a tendency to dig into things a little too much.

#9 Buns

Buns

The Fiber Crusader

• Legendary Members
  • 1,942 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Warm Bnus
  • LocationInstallation 00
14             2                     

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Banshees don't necessarily fly faster than modern air craft (some types can) but it is not a rule, you have to understand that i have never seen a reference in any official halo lore that specifies the top speed of a banshee.

Halo Encyclopedia says it I am fairly sure. Also the books normally bring it up too. If not Halopedia has it too along with the source.

gallery_88375_757_102964.jpg

#10 Rick Amsler

Rick Amsler

Drone

• Members
  • 21 posts
Liked

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Halo Encyclopedia says it I am fairly sure. Also the books normally bring it up too. If not Halopedia has it too along with the source.

ahh but you are missing my point I am not disputing that they can fly as fast or faster than modern planes. I was stating that i have never seen Specific and Exact points were top speed is mentioned. I have seen banshees referenced as: supersonic, as producing a sonic boom. but i have not seen an actual speed in either KPH or MPH.

#11 Buns

Buns

The Fiber Crusader

• Legendary Members
  • 1,942 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Warm Bnus
  • LocationInstallation 00
14             2                     

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

ahh but you are missing my point I am not disputing that they can fly as fast or faster than modern planes. I was stating that i have never seen Specific and Exact points were top speed is mentioned. I have seen banshees referenced as: supersonic, as producing a sonic boom. but i have not seen an actual speed in either KPH or MPH.

Actually on the contrary 

Supersonic is approx 768 MPH. Therefore we know a Banshee can fly greater than or equal to 768 MPH

:D

gallery_88375_757_102964.jpg

#12 Rick Amsler

Rick Amsler

Drone

• Members
  • 21 posts
Liked

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

Actually on the contrary 

Supersonic is approx 768 MPH. Therefore we know a Banshee can fly greater than or equal to 768 MPH

:D

still missing the point.

just because a Banshee can fly at supersonic speeds (768 MPH) doesn't qualify as a technical top speed this also doesn't make it faster than modern aircraft as many of the U.S. planes can also reach supersonic speeds. 

I am again going to state this "I have not seen an (Exact) top speed referenced in the literature" If you can find an exact Official reference I will be glad to accept it.

#13 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:06 AM

ok but you haven't stated anything that would make the books themselves unreliable.

as for the other stuff Technically a plasma torpedo while not a physical case that upon impact explodes is instead super-heated plasma Which is a physical object so that wording is still perfectly valid.

a plasma bolt (depending on the weapon it is fired from has different temperatures and sizes) can give 3rd degree burns and for highpower bolts can burn through a body.

When you are talking about energy shielded opponents yes bullets are of little use, and true - marines are physically infirior to elites and brutes and some jackals (tev'a'oen - if i have that spelled correctly) but as with grunts they are more deadly when in greater numbers.

I don't know where you are jetting your information on this ether but mos UNSC ships can hover (unless you are referring to the lager classes such as destroyers and larger) because the do have external thrusters, or at the very least frigates do.

so if you are referring to minuscule detail that can be debated till the end of time, none of these things cause any of the kilo 5 trilogy to become unreliable resources.

I am sorry if i am being argumentative i just have a tendency to dig into things a little too much.

-It specifies them as a case. A plasma torpedoes isn't anything physical until it is fired. In MD, they blow them up before firing.

-Source. Plasma pistols have given marines extreme damage, and one needier round was often a death sentence (Not technically plasma, but meh) and so forth. In addition, plasma rounds can melt the titanium of the MJOLNIR armour.

-Where is it stated they can hover? It is repeatedly stated that they do not have antigravity (Gravity on ships is generated through rotating rings, rather than the covenant) and no UNSC ships (Exception; vindication, strident, infinity and autumn class have covenant and forerunner tech in them and are postwar adoptions) have vertical thrusters from what is seen.

Also, the fact that the Sangheili are portrayed as helpless and humans a ******* superpower, despite the fact that most of their fleet was obliterated at Earth and Reach, with the Sangheili commandeering most of the fleets and battle. The fact that they are shown as almost a tier 6 species is ******* stupid and promotes the idioticness that humans are now the most powerful force despite the fact that pretty much every species could roflstomp them in combat. Hell, Vata Gajat nearly destroyed the infinity with a small station and a corvette- a fleet with several RCS class cruisers and CAS class would completely destroy the human fleets.

Also, Halo Landfall. While not stating the speed, it clearly shows banshees using their maximum speed. While nothing is saying they can't slow down, you seem to be making a point they can't go at a higher speed. Once again, it is stated that games =/= lore, as a fuel rod would be creating a huge crater, and a wraith would destroy half a ******* map.

Pinned but I would like to see some pics maybe a bit of sprucing up instead of the long list? :5

But that would make the page take ages to load. I might put them in spoilers.

Edited by BaconShelf, 14 September 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#14 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic
         2    7    17             3               

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

Great detailed list. It's lore heaven! :D

How do Halo 3 + Halo: Reach break lore/cannon? I''m not saying that they don't, I'm just curious to see how they do.

2m5l7hi.jpg

#15 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Working on updating this, removing the silly reliable thing an adding the novels announced by 343i for release this year.

#16 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

Updated for 04/04/15.

Added newly announced and released content
-Halo: Broken Circle
-Halo: New Blood
-Halo: Hunters in the Dark
-Halo: Saint's Testimony
-Halo: Last Light
-Halo: Shadow of Intent
-Halo 2: Anniversary/ Master Chief Collection
-Halo Online
-Art of Halo 5 Guardians
-Halo: Spartan Strike

Removed reliable/ unreliable
Added terminal section for Halo CEA, 2A, 3, 4 and the collectibles found in Halo 3: ODST, Wars and Reach
Added a useful links section with links to other sources that would be unfeasible to cover here.

#17 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:35 AM

I also added in Halo Wars Risk for the funnies, and because the fleet game that Spartan is doing means there will *technically* be a category for tabletop games.

Cool, huh?

Still want this?

#18 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

Update 21/04/15:

Spartan Strike released, added to games. Updated both Spartan games to reflect their simulation status.
Gave Spartan Games' game it's proper name
Fixed some minor stuff that was bugging me

Edited by BaconShelf, 22 April 2015 - 01:14 AM.

#19 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

Update 23/04/2015

Added a much better link that includes all media- including campaign materials and such at the bottom of the list.

#20 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

Update 29/07/2015

Added Saint's Testimony
Added Fleet Battles board game

Made a section for dedicated eBook titles separate from regular novels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users