The Not-Really-Official CSR Understanding Guide

Is not JL

So, over the past few days on these forums I've heard, time and again, people asking 'What the heck is CSR?' Well, since before I was on this Forum, I was on the much worse, much messier Halo Waypoint, and as a person there, I have known of this, and I do know how it works. 

So I decided to help explain it.

CSR - Competitive Skill Ranking.

Well, if I lay out exactly what it means, does it make it easier or harder to understand? I'm hoping that by now, some of you are going 'Ooooooohhh!' and are now thinking 'What are the specifics?'

Easy.

-CSR is a 1-50 ranking system.

-There is a CSR for every War Games playlist.

-For games like BTB and TS, it is calculated more from your personal skill in game but that doesn't mean wins don't count.

-For games like Grifball and Action sack, it is calculated more from using your wins and losses. Personal skill still counts.

-'Personal skill' that I am talking about generally means your medals, kills, deaths, betrayals, all into 'one'.

Now, you might say, 'Cool! So did 343 put back competition? Awesome! Where can I view each of my playlists' CSR?'

And now I'm gonna have to shoot you down.

It is NOT visible in-game. Why? Because 343 decided to make CSR not during the games creation, but AFTER they released information that there won't be a real skill based ranking system.

Where is it visible? Halowaypoint.com, or the Halo Waypoint XBL app, or Halo Waypoint on your Android/iDevice. That is it. Why is it there? According to 343, 'Because those who truly care about their rank can access it, but it will discourage buying accounts, hacking, cheating, boosting etc. and also for players who are below average, they won't always be trash talked.'

Sadly, what I read from that was something along the lines of 'Because during game planning we decided our target audience were the bad players, and so we wanted them to feel like they were doing good, and the only reason we even bothered making CSR was because when we said there wasn't a ranking system everybody on our forums were mad, which is confusing.'

AAAAAnyways, what this means is that while you can still do things like compare CSR with others (Specifically, others here or on your friends list), gone are the days where you could prove you were better than someone else by comparing rank because nobody even bothers to have a mic anymore.

What more do you want to know of CSR? Uhhh....

Oh, yeah. Sometimes they might reset everyone to 0. Thankfully they promised that they'll give us a reason.

Is that enough?

TL;DR - CSR is a ranking system which is only visible on the internet on Halo Waypoint, not on game. Therefore, it is a ranking system that applies only to the 10% or so people who actually care about the game to visit websites. Each playlist has one, and your best is displayed on your stats screen.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...