horrible ending

pathfinder2

I am doing my best to restrain myself from "spoilers" ...... but this ending was ALMOST as infuriating as the end to the mass effect trilogy....

WTF 343........ seriously, you really had to do that? You couldnt have taken that in a different direction to get the same effect withing doing that thing to that person?....

So f-ing mad right now, my brother and i finished the co op and all we could do was sit there with our mouths open fighting the rage inside.

What a tragic day today is :/

• Like 3

I've been with halo since CE and it's always been my most beloved series. Books as well. But this ending really pissed me off. This was something that needed to be done at the final end game of halo. not at the start of a trilogy. Essentially ruining the combination that made these two beloved in the first three games. I understand the dilemma that was at hand and it would have been hard to string it along till the end but seeing how they excused some lives not being taken regardless... they could have done it easily.

Feels like too much time was put in to make the game pretty than the story/ties/background explanations/etc. substance.

I wonder how hard of an impact these decisions will have on the rest of the dedicated hardcore halo fans. And i don't mean the kids that just get it for multiplayer, i mean the people that truly admire the series for what the story is.

The game is amazing in its own right, dont get me wrong. It's just not the halo i came to love.

Kudos to the graphics/art department though. The visuals were incredible.

Completely agree polarbear, i posted a similar post to my op on facebook and had a few friends ask me if its worth getting, i felt confident telling them that in MY opinion halo4 is the best gameplay feel of any of the titles........

However....

The story, it just infuriated me. And another thing that pissed me off was just HOW LONG you went before huge plot questions were answered, i had to spoil it by googling my questions because after so many missions i figured they just werent going to tell me or i missed reading a book...

And like you said about killing that dynamic, it could NEVER be the same, if there are going to be 2 more titles i hope to GOD you dont play as chief, it will feel VERY hollow and just disappointing.

343 doing what they did completely killed any emotional attachment i had for that john, now what hes a faceless soldier who acts like a robot? Big player connection there

Man. Not having played the game, there are only two things I can imagine being the thing you guys are discussing. And either of them would make me really sad. I love these characters - if it's the two I'm thinking about - and if the dynamic between them has been irreparably altered, the games just won't feel the same.

That said... this being sci-fi, and without spoiling anything, can you guys tell me if there is any conceivable way (really think about it before replying... put your writers' hats on lol) for them to undo this through some manner of convoluted plot twist in the next game?

Well i highly doubt there will be any better dynamic they can come up with for the chief. He was already and incredibly silent soldier through 1-3 and i was really glad they gave more insight to his character by giving him an actual voice throughout this game. The problem that has occurred due to this ending seems like it would only be something that could halt that progress on his character. If it didnt then they're turning it into

Halo - Hollywood. But that was already a path they went down with the ridiculous way of having so and so survive and so and so not despite the circumstance... Like.. point blank and you're magically alive?

What is this, the power of love?

Given how it ended i really doubt they'll go down the path of trying to save face through a plot twist. It would just screw everything already screwed further with questions that shouldnt be able to be answered through any means even if they managed to find a way. You'll recognize these and just look at this saying.. "um, i really dont care what or who or how. It will never work like that. In any universe."

Overall there were so many plot holes and unanswered questions just thrown up to in game 3 minute explanations which you cant entirely focus on due to being in the game trying to live or just overwhelmed by how fast everything is pacing. Definitely required more than 5-6 hours of game time.

And dear god i hope they don't go down the road of releasing more info related to story through DLC. All faith would be lost.

I also find it a little odd how in 3 humanity got their translators working properly and you could understand the covenant and now you can't 4 years later. Did they all of a sudden change their entire language among the collective? Just something odd.

Do the terminals explain more? (Since you apparently have to exit the game to access them.)

Also, is it possible that this will mean character development will have to focus on Chief? Perhaps the dichotomy between his soldiering and his human personality - so long repressed by his Spartan training - will bubble to the surface? Maybe he'll even go mad himself? I can see a lot of possibilities... but none as sweet, imo, as the dynamic between he and Cortanna (if thoese are the characters people are talking about... assuming.)

Do the terminals explain more? (Since you apparently have to exit the game to access them.)

Also, is it possible that this will mean character development will have to focus on Chief? Perhaps the dichotomy between his soldiering and his human personality - so long repressed by his Spartan training - will bubble to the surface? Maybe he'll even go mad himself? I can see a lot of possibilities... but none as sweet, imo, as the dynamic between he and Cortanna (if thoese are the characters people are talking about... assuming.)

Not sure about the terminals, i beat the game this morning and went straight to bed and havent touched it yet for the remainder of the day but we'll see.

You're very right about the focus on chief, the storypath you spoke of could very well be the direction they plan to go. It seems like the most feasible route while retaining a damn good storyline But as said before it definitely would be a whole different turn for the halo franchise.

From a huge galactic war focal point as the main story to an individual and personal story with the galactic war as a background would be a strange transition to see but could be ingenious if they pulled it off right.

Though at the pace and gametime this kick off had i have little hopes. =/

Honestly, to me the story was gripping. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out, but even so I am willing to say it was a great story. And now I'm wondering what's coming next, which is what a story is supposed to do.

Also, to all of the "this isn't the Halo I've known and loved", guys, it's 2012. Nearly 2013. Halo CE came out in 2001. It's been over a decade, and you are expecting it not to have changed drastically? I mean seriously, I was kind of expecting more change than what actually happened. It's true, I miss the old characters, but they are setting up new ones. So it'll be okay. Welcome to getting older.

• Like 3

Having seen the ending now... I can think of one or two ways the character in question could come back. One has to do with a "book keeper..." if you catch my drift. Another has to do with the digitization of another character that may have happened.

I also see a LOT of potential for making MC a more emotionally relatable character now going forward, possibly with some deep internal conflicts as he "ages" and becomes potentially obsolete. I shall say no more, though.

The storyline in the game was deeply moving to me, though.

• Like 1

i haver to say, i thought the whole story was contradictory to the previous story made by Halo's 1, 2, and 3. it made it seem like everything i knew was wrong. i thought the forerunners knew about the flood before the humands did? and what happened to make humanity so "primitave" again? and why was the diedact so mad at humanity?i dont think enought was explained...

also, although Master Chief was protrayed as somewhat of a badass, i dont think he was as badass as he was made to seem in the previous games

I am doing my best to restrain myself from "spoilers" ...... but this ending was ALMOST as infuriating as the end to the mass effect trilogy....

WTF 343........ seriously, you really had to do that? You couldnt have taken that in a different direction to get the same effect withing doing that thing to that person?....

So f-ing mad right now, my brother and i finished the co op and all we could do was sit there with our mouths open fighting the rage inside.

What a tragic day today is :/

I think the reason they made this fight the way they did instead of allowing the player to fight back like when you fight the sentinel or w/e it is and johnson dies. Its because they made the end boss too bad ass.. I hope im allowed to say that.. I mean he had telekenetic powers.. I mean he srsly just stretched out his hand like darth vader and did a force choke on him.. How is master chief supposed to fight that.

i haver to say, i thought the whole story was contradictory to the previous story made by Halo's 1, 2, and 3. it made it seem like everything i knew was wrong. i thought the forerunners knew about the flood before the humands did? and what happened to make humanity so "primitave" again? and why was the diedact so mad at humanity?i dont think enought was explained...

also, although Master Chief was protrayed as somewhat of a badass, i dont think he was as badass as he was made to seem in the previous games

They knew about the Flood before the current iteration of humanity. The original iteration of humanity was spacefaring and technologically advanced long before the present one was. Remember that this current evolution of humanity knows nothing about their ancient past with the Forerunners, apart from Cortana and MC. That wasn't revealed until this game/part of the story.

Humanity was intended by most of the Forerunners to assume the mantle of preeminent sentient life in the galaxy, but the Flood changed that equation. They were fleeing from the Flood, and fighting the Forerunners for territory as they went. The Diedact used the composer to digitize the original iterations of humanity, creating the Promethians. His goal was to digitize humanity because only organic life could feed the Flood. (The Halo rings were either a separate attempt at wiping out organic life, or they were how the digitization worked. Since we've never seen a Halo ring actually activated and used on human beings, for all we know, it may turn them into Promethians. But that's debatable and wasn't explained.)

The Librarian saved a remnant of humanity's genetic code and seeded them to Earth, modifying them in such a way that their current technological evolution and the creation of Master Chief or someone like him were inevitable. This was done so that humanity - and the being like Master Chief specifically - could initiate the reclamation. The ascendency of humanity to the level of the Forerunners, displacing them as the preeminent life forms and custodians of the galaxy.

As for MC not being quite as baddass, I believe the intent was to show that he's not the only Spartan, he's older, they see him as somewhat obsolete (despite him being the advanced reclaimer... they don't know this) and possibly dispensible. I think this is an attempt to make him more human and relatable, and possibly to make his job tougher in future games.

So, it's not quite as contradictory as it might seem. That was my interpretation, at least.

• Like 1