Updated poll and ideas: Ranks and armor you achieve during game play.

Absolute Dog

This will be a public poll.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see possibilities here?

This topic has be edited and a new voting system has been added for a line item vote. If you have previously vote you can delete your vote and recast it under the new categories.

In the beginning of Halo play online all the way through Halo 3 there was a recognizable rank. Even though it seemed to be based on the Marine scale, which is perfectly fine with me, it represented a real rank that we see in our military, not some fictional emblem that had to keep being crated and had no end in site. You also earned you rank though successful game play in the "ranked" category and had a separate "social" rank. Your armor was unlocked by achieving rank plateaus' and by completing various campaign related goals. A firefight type could be added as well.

Here is what I suggest:

1) The use of the Marine ranking was fine, just make it harder to achieve higher and higher ranks in "ranked" play. This isn't t-ball where everybody wins and gets a cookie! Let there be a social rank separate from that of ranked play. Each displayed depending on which Match making category you were in, like H3. Also, bring back the global 1 - 50 ranking system and overall rank.

2) Having "unlockable" armors for specific skill accomplishments, such as a sniper variant for a "Head Shot Honcho" achievement say...times ten, would be a great chase for an armor. Assassinations expert armor for a repeated 10 times assassination in 10 games and so on. Armors achieved by rank, special feats and finishing in higher skill level in campaign have and would always add more sense of accomplishment.

3) Once a player achieves the highest possible rank give another incentive such as special armors or military style awards such as a Silver Star or Medal of Honor that could be see in miniature next to the gamer tag or actual rank. These would be extremely hard to unlock and available to only the best players, give them there due.

4) Once a player has maxed out completely let him gain the option of commanding his own willing unit of players, much like a clan, in matches that pit one unit against another for in house tournaments. The "commander" would be responsible for the training and strategy of his unit and new recruits. A clan emblem would be made available to current clan members which they would lose upon leaving or being voted out. Bring back clan matches!

5) Have achievements in game that are temporary such as having a sword become "flaming" if you get a "sword spree" or "slice and dice" and let it then leave the dead body burning after a kill, like the flame thrower did in H3. Achieve 5 assassinations and and get a flaming body, helmet, or invisibility for a short period.

In reference to the "clan" part, these are just ideas being offered that can possibly create new experiences, more community, and an overall sense of accomplishment not only for the eventual leaders, but the individuals. Remembering that no one will want to be lead by some egotistical jerk which means no one will want to be on his team. Feel free to add rational thoughts and constructive criticisms.

Additional thoughts:

I'm willing to let 343 Ind. deal with the specifics of the actual skill to advance rank method, but always liked the H2 and H3 system much better than the flacid Reach system that resembles the afore mentioned "T-Ball" type where every one wins and gets a cookie. We are adults, most of us, and we understand the reward for winning is, and should be, much greater than for losing. The "loser" get the lesson of defeat and should learn from it. Just my take on it.

Add additional thought that you have.

• Like 3

Rank does need to be based on skill, I have yet to meet an inheritor in game that is actually any good.

The ranking system is just like Gears 2 when they changed it to level 1-100. The stripes Gears 2 had were based on skill, you could rank up as well as down, then the number rank came out and it was purely based on games played/type of game played etc.

Im a Mythic now, but have a K/D of 0.84, I play cos I enjoy the game, Im not the best, certainly not the worst.

I co-operate with a team, I play the game as its meant to be played. People say I dont deserve my rank but with 2,500 games played I certainly do deserve my rank (im a firefight addict) just as in Gears 2 it was horde.

• Like 3

The same for me, I hope that the ranking system offers new ways to walk and stand too.Custimizable.

Do you mean walking with a swagger like John Wayne or cool hip walk like Chris Rock? Maybe stand like Buzz Light Year with your hands your hips or Serpico on a corner in New York? What are we talking about here elite?

I definetly believe that they need to bring back the highest skill form of ranking system from halo 3. It shows true skill unlike the credit system in reach, and it just keeps you more into the game.

I know, it seemed to be quite a point of contention in Reach the way the system worked. Personally I had no problem with the early Arena ranking system, it was the overall system that seemed to mean nothing, at least to me.

Do you mean walking with a swagger like John Wayne or cool hip walk like Chris Rock? Maybe stand like Buzz Light Year with your hands your hips or Serpico on a corner in New York? What are we talking about here elite?

Mabe like quick fast steps and narrow, or something like wider steps, or defalt.and how you hold your wepond while you do that

the standing part I was talking about when you are standing still maybe for 1 sec your spartan, elite, puts there wepond down or in a certain position that is custimisable.

Mabe like quick fast steps and narrow, or something like wider steps, or defalt.and how you hold your wepond while you do that

the standing part I was talking about when you are standing still maybe for 1 sec your spartan, elite, puts there wepond down or in a certain position that is custimisable.

Well you know if you stand without moving long enough the Chief does go through his "Bored" routine. In regards to the walking, it is first person and you will never see it, unless in theater or by other players. I could see a possible small slide when you are running and attempt a quick stop. That would make you time your stop and be close to actual physics in the real world. "Slide Sniping" could become the new no scope, lol.

Let's not get to off topic, this post is about ranks.

• 4 weeks later...

Apreciate the replies, sorry I have seen gone for a few weeks. Having "unlockable" armors for specific skill accomplishments, such as a sniper variant for a "Head Shot Honcho" achievement say...times ten, would be a great chase for an armor. Assassinations expert armor for a repeated 10 times assassination in 10 games and so on. Armors achieved by rank, special feats and finishing in higher skill level in campaign have and would always add more sense of accomplishment. I'm willing to let 343 Ind. deal with the specifics of the actual skill to advance rank method, but always liked the H2 and H3 system much better than the flacid Reach system that resembles the afore mentioned "T-Ball" type where every one wins and gets a cookie. We are adults, most of us, and we understand the reward for winning is, and should be, much greater than for losing. The "loser" get the lesson of defeat and should learn from it. Just my take on it.

• 1 month later...

I definitely miss the old 1-50 ranking system and would like to see it brought back in H4 and the armor unlock thing would cool also. I'm with you on this stuff mainly because I liked H3 much better than Reach.

h3 for the win; i think that the idea of getting invisibility after 5 kills, whatever, is kinda like cod. killstreaks are something i completely loath.

Link <= Your post in the GD where I replied with this:

Personally, I would want items in the armory unlocked by attaining medals and commendations. Different permutations should be unlocked by earning medals and commendations that have to do with the core concept of a permutation (example: EOD unlocked by earning X amount of kills with explosives, and Recon unlocked by earning X amount of Assassination medals, and so on).

The problem with using Achievements to unlock items in the Armory is that Achievements should be challenging. And some folks just can't meet the challenge. That could be why H3's system of unlocks wasn't repeated. Some players just weren't able to get, say, the EOD helmet. Just because I did it, doesn't mean everyone can. And I never unlocked the Scout pauldrons (not that I cared for them, but I wanted the achievement) because players started getting used to hearing the sound of a 'Goose bearing down on them, and they became very good at jumping out of the way or even hijacking it out from under you. Know what I mean?

So this system I came up with was conceived to be simple challenges, made easier for those with a knack for a certain style, or a preference for a certain weapon. In theory, the result would be that each Spartan's appearance would be (but never had to be) based on the player's own usual Modus Operandi ("mode/way of operating"). So if a player was a marksman, the items they would unlock would be based on a Sniper's kit or loadout. Meanwhile, if a player was terrible at CQC engagements and skirmishes, any items related to such topics would be more difficult (but not impossible) to unlock.

Regarding your other ideas, I like them all. But the one about "killstreak perks" where you made an example with the flaming Energy Sword, that one doesn't sit well with me unless the "perk" is purely cosmetic. I could understand a flaming sword and even flaming bodies, but if the flames do damage, or provide a measure of defense (like damaging opponents just by bumping into them) then a line is being crossed.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone glow if they're on a Killing Spree, though. Would help us to identify who to be concerned with.

• Like 1

Link <= Your post in the GD where I replied with this:

The problem with using Achievements to unlock items in the Armory is that Achievements should be challenging. And some folks just can't meet the challenge. That could be why H3's system of unlocks wasn't repeated. Some players just weren't able to get, say, the EOD helmet. Just because I did it, doesn't mean everyone can. And I never unlocked the Scout pauldrons (not that I cared for them, but I wanted the achievement) because players started getting used to hearing the sound of a 'Goose bearing down on them, and they became very good at jumping out of the way or even hijacking it out from under you. Know what I mean?

So this system I came up with was conceived to be simple challenges, made easier for those with a knack for a certain style, or a preference for a certain weapon. In theory, the result would be that each Spartan's appearance would be (but never had to be) based on the player's own usual Modus Operandi ("mode/way of operating"). So if a player was a marksman, the items they would unlock would be based on a Sniper's kit or loadout. Meanwhile, if a player was terrible at CQC engagements and skirmishes, any items related to such topics would be more difficult (but not impossible) to unlock.

Regarding your other ideas, I like them all. But the one about "killstreak perks" where you made an example with the flaming Energy Sword, that one doesn't sit well with me unless the "perk" is purely cosmetic. I could understand a flaming sword and even flaming bodies, but if the flames do damage, or provide a measure of defense (like damaging opponents just by bumping into them) then a line is being crossed.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone glow if they're on a Killing Spree, though. Would help us to identify who to be concerned with.

Bullet I appreciate the input. The idea of having achievements to unlock a particular armor is meant to encourage a player to use a weapon and become good with it. Lets say you are bad at sniping like I used to be, I mean I got owned by it and when using it. By repeatedly picking it up an using it and along with advice from friends and other players, I am considered a threat with it now. The sniper armor would only unlock after "x" amount of sniper kills, something repeated use would unlock. The upgraded version of armor would be for those would attain "x" amount of sprees of "Headshot Honchos" and so on with each achievable armor. This encourages use of different weapons initially and rewards the player who is very good with it. This can be applied to all armors unlocked by a weapon achievements.

Yes, the "flaming sword", "glowing or flaming body" would be temporary, losing the perk when you died and like you said would draw attention to the player on a streak that needed to be dealt with, which in and of itself, would make streaks a little harder to attain. The flaming sword would not have any more power or damage capability, it would be purely cosmetic as would the lingering flames left on the dead body. The same would be true with the "streak" flames the player would have had attained with the necessary spree or frenzy.

The idea, in a nutshell, is to encourage the use of different weapons. Remember also the social ranking that I mention. These armors and upgrades would be unlockable in the less competitive environment of social play as well where the competition is usually easier. A new thought here: The sniper variant could have a different look when attained in social as compared to ranked play as would the upgrades. This might encourage the casual player, once he or she acquired the social version and hopefully improved their skill, move into the more competitive ranked arena.

It may be hard for some to remember and for new players to accept who want it all made easy, but when I played match making in Halo 2 I mainly played Skirmish, which is now Objective. This seemed to be an easier game type for me to learn how to kill because I would stay near the objective and players came to me giving me more chances to kill. Later on I moved into slayer, then onto "ranked" slayer, doubles and FFA. I wanted to be good at the game, if only to kick my nephews butts who repeatedly owned me. I took the time to learn the game and ranks and armors meant nothing in the beginning.

Consider this, achievement unlocks give a longer life and a continuous challenge. There are still those who I know that go back to H3 to try and unlock a particular armor.

• 2 weeks later...

I like number 2 and number 5, they seem like they would add a fun extra element to the game.

Did you just like your own post? You did didn't you, same on your second post in this thread... Absolute I'm ashamed... <_<

EDIT: I was going to like this post but that option has been removed :(