The "Official" Unofficial Cortana Explanation Thread

Veer Zamamai

As much as I hate to say it, I think the chief is going to lose her.

Weve been told that the reclaimer trilogy will have a darker storyline and weve also been told that the chiefs personality will change due to the story. The chief has been through some pretty traumatic stuff, he's watched friends die and has been tasked with saving his entire race from extinction to name a couple, but despite those he's always been the same old chief.

So what could happen in this new trilogy that would affect him more emotionally than those things that ive already mentioned, only one answer springs to mind, the loss of cortana. And if she's becoming rampant its probably gonna turn out that he'll have to destroy her himself.

SPOILERS

Like Dom and his wife in Gears 2.

END SPOILERS

I don't think master chief will leave her, but that she will go crazy somewhere in the game, and either die, or try to kill master chief and then he has to set her at ease somehow (death). Sure, it would be sad, but then that would get people talking about halo and more ppl liking it more bc it makes them feel something. It's that, or they find a way to cure her and it all ends well

I don't think master chief will leave her, but that she will go crazy somewhere in the game, and either die, or try to kill master chief and then he has to set her at ease somehow (death). Sure, it would be sad, but then that would get people talking about halo and more ppl liking it more bc it makes them feel something. It's that, or they find a way to cure her and it all ends well

True, but we will never truly know until the game is released and we play. Anyone else have any more thoughts on this?

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to say it, I think the chief is going to lose her.

Weve been told that the reclaimer trilogy will have a darker storyline and weve also been told that the chiefs personality will change due to the story. The chief has been through some pretty traumatic stuff, he's watched friends die and has been tasked with saving his entire race from extinction to name a couple, but despite those he's always been the same old chief.

So what could happen in this new trilogy that would affect him more emotionally than those things that ive already mentioned, only one answer springs to mind, the loss of cortana. And if she's becoming rampant its probably gonna turn out that he'll have to destroy her himself.

SPOILERS

Like Dom and his wife in Gears 2.

END SPOILERS

I disagree with Cortana going full rampant and dying off. Think about the origination of Cortana. I know many have only played the games, but Cortana is the cloned brain of Dr. Catherine Halsey. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana. If you think about it, the only other AI they mention being some downloaded human was 343 guilty spark, which Didact performed. If you think about it, 343 guilty spark had to be functional for thousands of years since the activation of the halo rings. even though current human technology hasn't caught up to former forerunner/human technology of the past, the only AI built by the UNSC with a cloned human brain is Cortana which suggests her lifespan will be much greater than other AI's.

On her one line everyone is trying to take out of context cuz she is loudly proclaiming something, it's obvious she is not talking to Master Chief. to me the pain she is exhibiting is someone hurting her, not rampancy. When she has displayed rampant behavior she is confused and talking in riddles that don't make sense, not writhing in pain and yelling nonsense to her only friend and partner in the Halo Universe. whoever she is yelling at is the villain or villain's helper who has located her or captured her, possibly torturing her trying to break down her security protocols to gain access to her functions. She is fighting against this entity, not yelling at Master Chief.

Mabye she is slowly turning rampant, where she has random moments of anger as her AI dwindles, and these moments would increase in occurance as time went on.

think about it like this...most human AI's turn rampant after 7 years. it's already been 8 and for the last year she has been making upgrades to Master Chief's suit and figuring out where they are and what move they should make. If she were slowly going rampant, wouldn't an occasional occurrence have already been happening and a weird suit malfunction occur? it's like she is only rampant when she is out of Master Chief's suit and she has to deal with another AI, which makes me believe it is not her becoming rampant, but her interaction as a lower AI to this forerunner/precursor technology.

Mabye she is slowly turning rampant, where she has random moments of anger as her AI dwindles, and these moments would increase in occurance as time went on.

Negative, she is in admittance to rampancy. It is per protocol. All Artificial Intelligence's were designed to be terminated after eight years...their expiry date. It would be exponential if it was to be overcame. Who knows...only time will tell, indeed so.

I disagree with Cortana going full rampant and dying off. Think about the origination of Cortana. I know many have only played the games, but Cortana is the cloned brain of Dr. Catherine Halsey. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana. If you think about it, the only other AI they mention being some downloaded human was 343 guilty spark, which Didact performed. If you think about it, 343 guilty spark had to be functional for thousands of years since the activation of the halo rings. even though current human technology hasn't caught up to former forerunner/human technology of the past, the only AI built by the UNSC with a cloned human brain is Cortana which suggests her lifespan will be much greater than other AI's.

On her one line everyone is trying to take out of context cuz she is loudly proclaiming something, it's obvious she is not talking to Master Chief. to me the pain she is exhibiting is someone hurting her, not rampancy. When she has displayed rampant behavior she is confused and talking in riddles that don't make sense, not writhing in pain and yelling nonsense to her only friend and partner in the Halo Universe. whoever she is yelling at is the villain or villain's helper who has located her or captured her, possibly torturing her trying to break down her security protocols to gain access to her functions. She is fighting against this entity, not yelling at Master Chief.

Cortana is not the only AI created from flash-cloning a human brain. There is an entire class of AI's like that called "Smart AI's". I don't think any of us can accurately judge who she was talking to , so I won't comment on that right now. But I can shed some more light on the subject of Rampancy.

Rampancy can be described as an AI literally thinking itself to death. There are 3 stages of rampancy that are proven to exist. A theoretical fourth stage also exists. The first stage is Melancholia. The AI becomes sad and is apathetic to the world around it. The second stage is Anger. This stage is triggered when the AI feels that it has been "pushed too far". The AI grows to hate everything around it and will lash out at the world around it. 343 Guilty Spark went into this stage at the end of Halo 3. The third stage is Jealousy. The AI will attempt to grow as a person by learning knew things. The theoretical fourth stage is Metastability. The AI can now be said to be a true person.

It is likely that Cortana went into the first stage of Rampancy when Chief was in cryo-sleep on the Forward Unto Dawn because she was alone and no task to distract herself with. Cortana's yelling and crazy look may signal that she has entered the second stage. This would make her a danger to everything around her. There is no need for her to extend her lifespan, because she might be able to outlast rampancy and reach metastability.

Cortana is not the only AI created from flash-cloning a human brain. There is an entire class of AI's like that called "Smart AI's". I don't think any of us can accurately judge who she was talking to , so I won't comment on that right now. But I can shed some more light on the subject of Rampancy.

Rampancy can be described as an AI literally thinking itself to death. There are 3 stages of rampancy that are proven to exist. A theoretical fourth stage also exists. The first stage is Melancholia. The AI becomes sad and is apathetic to the world around it. The second stage is Anger. This stage is triggered when the AI feels that it has been "pushed too far". The AI grows to hate everything around it and will lash out at the world around it. 343 Guilty Spark went into this stage at the end of Halo 3. The third stage is Jealousy. The AI will attempt to grow as a person by learning knew things. The theoretical fourth stage is Metastability. The AI can now be said to be a true person.

It is likely that Cortana went into the first stage of Rampancy when Chief was in cryo-sleep on the Forward Unto Dawn because she was alone and no task to distract herself with. Cortana's yelling and crazy look may signal that she has entered the second stage. This would make her a danger to everything around her. There is no need for her to extend her lifespan, because she might be able to outlast rampancy and reach metastability.

You have excellent logic and overwhelming ability to answer with scientific knowledge. However, we cannot be sure of this. The next instalment has not yet been released, therefore, we cannot jump to conclusions and we can only make assumptions.

But, I am impressed with your replies. Continue onwards.

• Like 1

Yes, it is all just speculation currently. What do you think will happen between them? Do you think Cortana will lead John to a trap during her rampancy? I do hope things don't turn for the worst, I love both characters.

I think that exclamation of hers aboard the ship was directed towards John. I also think they were onboard the Infinity, looking at the background.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Rampancy

Known Smart AIs http://halo.wikia.co...al_intelligence

Serina, Melissa, Black Box, Eternal Spring, Endless Summer, Deep Winter, Wellsley, Araquiel, Kalmiya, Sif, Mack, Loki, Fitzgibbon, Lorelei.

Of these,

Unknown - Serina (spirit of fire), Lorelei

No Record Lifespan Ending - Melissa

Shut Down Pre-rampancy - Eternal Spring, Deep Winter, Black Box

Planetary Explosion - Endless Summer, Mack (slightly rampant), Loki

Ship Crash/Explosion - Wellsley, FitzGibbon

Fail Safe - Araquiel, Kalmiya

Another AI - Sif (slightly rampant)

Black Box - Refused to take on human shape. Ruthless and effective. Only other Smart AI known to perform missions within a Spartan suit. Didn't want to "end up like Cortana" which suggests that her getting close to humans affected her processing due to emotions...

Now if we are to assume Cortana has already hit stage 1 rampancy, wouldn't it have happened during Halo 3 when she was captured by Gravemind and sad, constantly trying to convince Master Chief to leave her?

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Rampancy

Known Smart AIs http://halo.wikia.co...al_intelligence

Serina, Melissa, Black Box, Eternal Spring, Endless Summer, Deep Winter, Wellsley, Araquiel, Kalmiya, Sif, Mack, Loki, Fitzgibbon, Lorelei.

Of these,

Unknown - Serina (spirit of fire), Lorelei

No Record Lifespan Ending - Melissa

Shut Down Pre-rampancy - Eternal Spring, Deep Winter, Black Box

Planetary Explosion - Endless Summer, Mack (slightly rampant), Loki

Ship Crash/Explosion - Wellsley, FitzGibbon

Fail Safe - Araquiel, Kalmiya

Another AI - Sif (slightly rampant)

Black Box - Refused to take on human shape. Ruthless and effective. Only other Smart AI known to perform missions within a Spartan suit. Didn't want to "end up like Cortana" which suggests that her getting close to humans affected her processing due to emotions...

Now if we are to assume Cortana has already hit stage 1 rampancy, wouldn't it have happened during Halo 3 when she was captured by Gravemind and sad, constantly trying to convince Master Chief to leave her?

You make a good point there, if she is in stage 1 rampancy it also could of happened when she was left on High Charity with the Gravemind. Either way, by Halo 4 she is likely already in stage 1of rampancy. Of course it's possible that she could skip it entirely, but given what she went through on High Charity and the Forward Unto Dawn, it's safe to assume that she is well into stage 1.

Negative, she is in admittance to rampancy. It is per protocol. All Artificial Intelligence's were designed to be terminated after eight years...their expiry date. It would be exponential if it was to be overcame. Who knows...only time will tell, indeed so.

First off, 7 years is the average life expectancy of a Smart AI.

Secondly, while most of your info is correct, Cortana is one of two known AI's created from a flash-cloned human brain, the rest weren't done from flash-cloning, the humans they were created from died as a result. Halsey used Flash-cloning because she needed a Smart AI and also needed to continue her work, so she cloned her own brain several times until she found one she could use for a Smart AI.

Also, Cortana's Life Expectancy was likely reduced by the amount of information she absorbed from the Installation 04, however she's still not entirely rampant, even after about 8 years. As read in one of the books [don't ask which, i can't remember] it's mentioned how during an attack on a Covenant fleet, she used copied forerunner code from a Covenant AI, to, along with the ability to translate Covenant language, create copies of herself that, while imperfect, allowed them to succeed. Using forerunner code and data Halsey removed due to her early stage rampancy symptoms, i believe she also managed to delay rampancy and increase her Life Expectancy to it's original 7 years or perhaps even further.

• Like 1

First off, 7 years is the average life expectancy of a Smart AI.

Secondly, while most of your info is correct, Cortana is one of two known AI's created from a flash-cloned human brain, the rest weren't done from flash-cloning, the humans they were created from died as a result. Halsey used Flash-cloning because she needed a Smart AI and also needed to continue her work, so she cloned her own brain several times until she found one she could use for a Smart AI.

Also, Cortana's Life Expectancy was likely reduced by the amount of information she absorbed from the Installation 04, however she's still not entirely rampant, even after about 8 years. As read in one of the books [don't ask which, i can't remember] it's mentioned how during an attack on a Covenant fleet, she used copied forerunner code from a Covenant AI, to, along with the ability to translate Covenant language, create copies of herself that, while imperfect, allowed them to succeed. Using forerunner code and data Halsey removed due to her early stage rampancy symptoms, i believe she also managed to delay rampancy and increase her Life Expectancy to it's original 7 years or perhaps even further.

Negative, it is apparent that people pay no attention to anything. Cortana suggests "I was put into service eight years ago, AI's go rampant after seven." It was the same thing. Do not say most of our information is incorrect when you have no evidence of this yourself.

Such impertinence...

At the start of the thread you say that Cortana shouts "you cannot leave this planet" I think that was directed at the UNSC Infinity

I wonder what's going to happen to Chiefs and Cortana's relationship will the Chief be able to stop her from going rampant ? Who knows.

Negative, it is apparent that people pay no attention to anything. Cortana suggests "I was put into service eight years ago, AI's go rampant after seven." It was the same thing. Do not say most of our information is incorrect when you have no evidence of this yourself.

Such impertinence...

You misquote me. i said most of it was CORRECT.