Halo Lore AMA

BaconShelf

Oh I see.....

How about the brute chieftains vortex ability in Halo Wars? Is it canon?

I don't really know. From a physics standpoint, opening a singularity should swallow the entire star system they're in. From a lore standpoint, we have never seen this kind of technology before or since, nor has it been referenced.

So it's a bit of agrey area.

• Like 1

How many forms of the flood exists?

Aside from the infection forms, no two flood forms are the same.

You hae infection and combat forms, the latter is simply the former acting as a parasite on the host, before concertina them into a carrier later on.

Anything else is a pure form, and is made of raw flood biomass and controlled by a Gravemind. These forms can mutate at will and take any shape they like.

As for Graveminds, their final form that we know of is a Keymind, a massive flood entity composed of an entire planet's ecosystem. These forms can control precursor artefacts like star roads and are capable of altering the mental state f people on the fr side of the galaxy, causing them paranoia, depression and leading many to commit suicide.

So in essence, unlimited.

• Like 1

The flood's really scary then :o

What happens if a MAC round is fired from atmosphere to a planet's surface?

Physics says nuclear winter, likely destruction if te entire planet's ecosystems and a general effect akin to the KT event.

Halo says a mild dust cloud and destruction of a small area, take your pick (Refererring to Spirit of Fire and Halo: The Thursday War)

Personally, I take physics as the correct definition. I'm presuming you mean a ship-borne cannon, not the mammoth cannon.

Why do the brutes' armor explode? 

In contribution to Bacon's response, I'd like to add that the armour does not 'explode'; it merely leaks plasma. This happens when the Jiralhanae power armour has taken critical damage. As Bacon said, this is due to the fact that their armour is less technologically advanced.

Do Spartan-IIs have their dopamine levels decreased?

What happened to the San Shyuum after Halo 3 and what happened to the Skirmishers after Reach?

Most were wiped out with the destruction of High Charity, the few that survived (numbering a few dozen, at most) hide with the Jiralhanae, aside from one who helps the Sangheili, though I won't spoil too much of Broken Circle. However, only a few thousand San Shyuum were around anyway, due to various problems that come with their departure from Janjur Qom- incidentally, the status of the Stoics (those who are still on their Homeworld) we have no idea what they're doing.

Skirmishers are simply another subspecies of Kig-Yar. They are still plentiful, and have assisted all manner of post-war groups both assisting and fighting humanity.

In contribution to Bacon's response, I'd like to add that the armour does not 'explode'; it merely leaks plasma. This happens when the Jiralhanae power armour has taken critical damage. As Bacon said, this is due to the fact that their armour is less technologically advanced.

Do Spartan-IIs have their dopamine levels decreased?

We don't have too much info on Spartan augmentations. Plus, I know very little biology, so I can't answer that one. Sorry, you're best looking at the S-II page on Halopedia for that one, it lists everything we do know about Spartan augs.

We don't have too much info on Spartan augmentations. Plus, I know very little biology, so I can't answer that one. Sorry, you're best looking at the S-II page on Halopedia for that one, it lists everything we do know about Spartan augs.

I prefer Halo Nation, thanks. There's actually a lot on Spartan augmentations on HN, not sure about Halopedia. Unfortunately there's nothing I can find about dopamine on either site.

Besides Fotus, what other armour sets are non-canon? Does this mean that these armour sets only exist in multiplayer? How do you know they are non-canon? Thanks.

I prefer Halo Nation, thanks. There's actually a lot on Spartan augmentations on HN, not sure about Halopedia. Unfortunately there's nothing I can find about dopamine on either site.

Besides Fotus, what other armour sets are non-canon? Does this mean that these armour sets only exist in multiplayer? How do you know they are non-canon? Thanks.

Halo Nation has been factually incorrect many times, and often has much less information avaliable; Halopedia is by far the better source. It's like Halofollower versus Halo Canon. And we all know which is an incredibly bad lore source there.

Anyway, only FOTUS I believe; it's EVG descirption says;

Manufacturer- 343 industries

Purpose- (Summarised) to fetch coffee for 343i, with the spike serving to ward off bears by increasing the size of the operator. 

I'm pretty sure everything else is canon.

• Like 1

To add to Bacons answer about skirmishers. smile.png

I cant remember where I heard it but I seem to remember this info about why the Skirmishers are not in other Halo games.

Because their ranks took many losses in the Fall of Reach, and so after the fall there was only a few Skirmishers left.

Or, more logically, they are not in other Halo games because Bungie didn't code them in, take your pick what answer you think is cannon.

To add to Bacons answer about skirmishers. smile.png

I cant remember where I heard it but I seem to remember this info about why the Skirmishers are not in other Halo games.

Because their ranks took many losses in the Fall of Reach, and so after the fall there was only a few Skirmishers left.

Or, more logically, they are not in other Halo games because Bungie didn't code them in, take your pick what answer you think is cannon.

It was an answer conned by Bungie t cover their arses, despite not making a modicum of sense after some objective thought; a species of several billion would not be wiped out in one battle. The far simpler answer would be that the fleets carrying them weren't present at the extremey isolated battles of Installation 04, 05 and 00. 

We have seen them operating fine in the post-war covenant;

Tekissue3.PNG

To add on the answer, all 3 variants of Kig-Yar are canon, being Ruuhtian, Ibi'eshan and T'voan (Classic, 343-era and Skirmsiher, respectively IIRC)

Edited by BaconShelf

You prolly missed my question so I'll just say it again :D

Where did the flood come from?

Now this is a long and interesting tale.

10 million years ago, the Precursors created the forerunners and humanity. At first, they judged humanity to be those who would uphold the Mantle of Responsibility, something the Forerunners didn't like- so they rose up and exterminated the precursors in fear, then took the mantle upon themselves. Those precursors who did not get killed fled and reduced themselves to some kind of dust/ powder.

This powder was eventually found by Humans on a ship drifting in space; they began using it in experiments and to alter behavious of certain animals. After several centuries, the animals started to mutate and began the first outbreak. T first humans tried to wage war against the Flood themselves, wiping out planets to stop the threat, believing the Forerunners would take too long to do anything about the threat. The Forerunners saw humans wiping out Forerunner planets and waged war, eventually reducing humans to a Tier 7 species (cavemen) and planting them on Earth. Shortly after this, the Flood began fighting te Forerunners, still recovering from one war, and crushed them.

• Like 1

Some races (Hunters and Grunts) sided with the Covenant loyalists, others sided with the Elite separatists (as seen in Halo 2 & 3). Did they choose out of their own will who to side with? Did any jackals (or skirmishers) side with the separatist forces?

No entire species took one side. Some grunts sided with the Jiralhanae out of fear, others sided with Sangheili because they preferred them.

No entire species took one side. Some grunts sided with the Jiralhanae out of fear, others sided with Sangheili because they preferred them.

I did not suggest or imply that an entire race (not species) took one side, I may have not been clear enough though. Any idea on the question regarding jackals and skirmishers?

I did not suggest or imply that an entire race (not species) took one side, I may have not been clear enough though. Any idea on the question regarding jackals and skirmishers?

Pretty much all of them serve as mercenaries and pirates now.

So they're just like they used to be before their induction to the Covenant (besides those who remain with the loyalists)?

Yes. The Kig-Yar never accepted covenant tradition as their own.

Why is it that the UNSC do not use plasma weaponry? As we can see from a Halo 5 image, they have made use of an 'energy bayonet' by attaching it to the front of an Assault Rifle, giving it more melee damage. The UNSC are allies with the Sangheili, and plasma weaponry is overall more effective that bullets. Why still use bullets and not plasma?

I personally prefer bullets, even though plasma is stronger, so a legit reason as to why they are still used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Why is it that the UNSC do not use plasma weaponry? As we can see from a Halo 5 image, they have made use of an 'energy bayonet' by attaching it to the front of an Assault Rifle, giving it more melee damage. The UNSC are allies with the Sangheili, and plasma weaponry is overall more effective that bullets. Why still use bullets and not plasma?

I personally prefer bullets, even though plasma is stronger, so a legit reason as to why they are still used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Aside from the Rhino's Zeus cannon, we have seen the UNSC make very little progress in reverse-engineering alien technology (Energy shields notwithstanding)

As for bullets? I don't know, but it's one of my pet peeves about halo; the UNSC military could be beaten by a 21st century military. Their weapons and vehicles technology has changed very little since now, and we have only just seen Railguns come into use, despite having functional ones now.