YouTube Channel Survey

It's pretty obvious at this point (assuming you read the title) that I am interested in starting a YouTube channel. But there's so much of the same stuff, over, and over, and over again. There are so many YouTubers doing play-throughs or trolling, or whatever the hell all the successful people do. The problem is very clear. There's too much of it, and people try doing it again. This results in failure for the rest of us, now that Ali-A and the rest of his YouTube friends have taken over. But there is hope. I want to formulate a plan that will give me high chances. That's where each one of you come in I want ideas. What would you guys like to see in a YouTube channel? I want gameplay in it. So that's not something I could get rule out. But beyond that. Instead of just normal commentaries. Go on. Give me ideas, and tell me specifically what you guys would find cool.

Here's the thing. It's not so much of making new things. It's a matter of making worthwhile contributions. I have my own gaming channel, that's not what ANYONE would consider successful, but I enjoy doing it. Here's my checklist for you:

1. Enjoy what you do. If you don't like making a certain type of video, don't make them. It'll show in the effort you put (Or don't put) into it.

2. Keep a regular update schedule. If you want to keep subscribers, keep to at least a bi-weekly schedule.

3. Don't try to force humor. A lot of the big name Let's Players have a certain skill when it comes to keeping their videos entertaining. Believe me, the amount of content I cut from the videos I do have up is staggering, and some of it is purely groan inducing.

4. Keep things fresh. Not new, not cutting-edge, just fresh. Don't put up a million and one videos of the same game if there's no advancement, or anything worth showing.

5. This is perhaps the biggest tip I have. DON'T EVEN BOTHER LOOKING AT YOUR VIEWS. The amount of work that goes into a video feels wasted when it's only watched by 5 or so people. Which is why I say, do it because you enjoy it. Whether or not you get "Big" shouldn't matter to you. If that's all you care about, you're not doing it for the right reasons.

Other then that, I can't say. I don't want to toss out too much advice when my own channel isn't that impressive.

• Like 3

Like Boss said, you have to (mainly) make them for your own enjoyment. Doing things you want and like to do. I've been uploading since 2009 on my channel, pretty much the same genre of video for the entire time. Back in 2009 I did it for the pure enjoyment of it. My vids were not very good, but I enjoyed editing them and making them. The views came in
after a while and I just said "alright that's cool, I like feedback".

The only reason I ever started making what I uploaded was to make those few people who strolled across my videos say "What the hell is?" and screw up the source video of what I was editing. In recent years, mid 2013 till now, I haven't been as interested in the genre I was creating. Even though I left my channel dry for nearly two years I wasn't going to force myself to make something when I knew my video would be ruined from my own boredom with the project. I did that once and I did not like how it turned out.

So, if you're going into gaming videos, this offers more of an opportunity to keep things fresh as there a lot of games out there. Hopefully that will keep you less bored and the audience more entertained. This will also help if you upload videos regularly, Bi-weekly, Monthly or whatever.

Custom thumbnails also capture the eye better than just an image from the video itself. It may not show sometimes, but I assure you it does.

Also, be natural. Don't try to be fake about anything, and don't try to force the humor, like Boss said. I'm Trying to say "be yourself" in a less cheesy way.

Also, don't have videos run for too long. Unless it's a special or something, it should only run about 10 minutes or less. Also Intros should only be about 5-10 seconds long if you even have one.

Edit them well too. Gaming or not, videos need proper editing to make them look crisp so don't slack on that portion of making a video.

But honestly, after all that, I think Youtube runs on a 60/40 ratio of Luck to Effort. The only reason I think my original "rrhuntington" channel has more than a decent share of subs is because of luck on a few videos that got uploaded in the right place at the right time with the right topic. But effort helped make those views into subs, so never doubt efforts doing in your videos.

My gaming channel with my friends has been up for a few months and it has 13 subs, which are mostly my friends and only like 4 people who subscribed because they weren't a part of the channel.

We put tons of effort and for now, we really do it to entertain ourselves and the few subs we have. We sometimes feel cheated but we keep on pushing through. Do not get discouraged by low numbers. You'll find yourself questioning "why not me?" a lot, but keep posting, once again as long as YOU are having fun with it.. Time and the # of videos you post in the long run are your allies, as it gives more of a chance for one of those videos to explode.

The first few years or months or however long you plan to keep up with your Youtube channel will be slow as hell. I can promise you that. You just have to keep up with it if you're in for the long haul.

• Like 1

I'll be the one to give a short post.

Stats. Not "this many people know the BR is boss" but "this weapon does this amount of damage when fired upon this part of the body."

Update differences. I don't want to see "this gun is nerf'd, so eff it," I want to see "this gun has had a change since the most recent update, so this is how you should compensate."

General fun. I don't care for "look, I got 52/1," but "i got 43/7 and still lost, but hot diggity damn, did I have fun."

I'd rather watch someone play a game to have fun with it than someone who just wants to win. Bonus pints for making me laugh along the way (I can't count the amount of times I lost a game just because I was still laughing at something that happened in the beginning of the game).

• Like 2

So you want people being smart rather than bland and dumb, BATMAN? Makes sense.

Basically, what I got was: instead of watching a dumbass harass people on Call of Duty 'cause he's about the money and views... You guys think it should be for fun. So dedicate yourself to the fun, make sure you enjoy it along with the viewer (if the viewers not happy, what's the point of making videos about it), be creative, be yourself, and make sure that you put quality into it. In a nutshell. I'm always open to more ideas. I might start mid-June this year. When it happens, I expect all of you guys who posted here to subscribe. ;)

• Like 1

So you want people being smart rather than bland and dumb, BATMAN? Makes sense.

Basically, what I got was: instead of watching a dumbass harass people on Call of Duty 'cause he's about the money and views... You guys think it should be for fun. So dedicate yourself to the fun, make sure you enjoy it along with the viewer (if the viewers not happy, what's the point of making videos about it), be creative, be yourself, and make sure that you put quality into it. In a nutshell. I'm always open to more ideas. I might start mid-June this year. When it happens, I expect all of you guys who posted here to subscribe. ;)

10-4.

• 2 weeks later...