The Master Chief's Height

Liam Royster

Master Chief, the character that we all know and love, represents the face of gaming. He is a massive, both figuratively and literally, character that deserves respect and recognition. When we as gamers take control of the Master Chief, we want to feel empowered-like supersoldiers. We do get this feeling somewhat. But in most Halo games, the Brutes and the Elites are significantly taller than he is. While I understand that there is a need of fear, fighting giant alien adversaries, it takes away from actually feeling like a spartan. He is supposed to be the one that people (And aliens) fear the most. It shouldnt be the other way around. While I know that canonically he is 7'2" in his armor, there are many instances that contradict this. Such as is the Halo 4 prologue and epilogue when he is teen towering over his human compatriots. It could be assumed that those technicians were around 6 feet tall. And it clearly shows Master Chief being much larger than seven foot two. We should be the ones towering over the enemies, not the other way around. I also get that some adversaries are larger than any spartan, like hunters or prometheans. But the in game models of Master chief are not any larger than the Spartan IV's, which he clearly is as evidenced by the epilogue and the intro to the level Reclaimer. In fact, his cutscene models often change in height which can clearly be seen. They also change from game to game. In Forward Unto Dawn, when Chief kills the Elite, he is seen standing exactly at head level with it. This is how is should be with the games as well. All I ask is that 343 at least makes his in game and cutscene model at least as tall as the elites, though preferably brutes too. The spartan II's are the most superior generation of spartans, and they need to appear that way too. Master Chief needs to remain an icon of strength and hope. And although height does not necessarily constitute these attributes, it certainly makes one appear that way, and appearances have a profound impact on anything. 

post-84909-0-04769700-1414597251.jpg

Well I can confirm this. :)

Chief is seven foot tall at the very least and that is about the size of the average Elite/Brute ( maybe they are just a little bit taller?)

The average human ( without Spartan II augmentations) is much smaller just play a Halo game and stand next to hapless Marines your will see what I mean.

I will also say their has been a lot of inconsistency with his height but he is a confirmed seven foot as I said before.

Chief is seven foot tall at the very least and that is about the size of the average Elite/Brute ( maybe they are just a little bit taller?)

Actually the Sanghelli average is 7 foot, 4 inches to 8 foot, 5 inches. The average for a Brute is an astounding 8 foot, 6 inches to 9 foot, 2 inches. Master Chief is an exact 7 foot, 2inches, in armor, and 6 foot, 10 inches out of it.

That means that, in armor, Master Chief is 2 inches below the average height of an Elite. Spartan IIs were made bigger than most other Spartan classes. Let's not forget that comparing his height towering over a Spartan IV just is not fair. Spartan IVs are tall, but no where near as tell as Spartan II's. Chief already had greater physical traits, such as height, when Halsey first examined him at age 6.

If Master Chief doesn't seem like he is towering over Elites and Brutes, then that's probably right.

• Like 1

I agree with rrhuntington. Although Spartans are supersoldiers, they're not supposed to be giants that tower over 8 foot tall aliens. Elites and Brutes are supposed to be taller than Spartans to show that we are not the leaders of this world.

Who knows, maybe there's some Covenant in real life!! :D