Ask The Director 2.0

I've had a particular interesting in journalism for quite a reasonable amount of time now, and I've always seen the games journalism area as a destination of interest in my future career goals. Lately though, it seems this form of journalism is riddled with corruption and scandals, so I wanted to ask you, is it worth it to pursue a career in professional gaming journalism, or should I look to alternative paths in this wide array of branches? 

As long as you make sure the corruption doesn't apply to you, then there's no need to fear getting into gaming journalism. 

What are your thoughts and opinions on the sociopolitical aspects of the Halo Universe during the time period of Post-Covenant War - 2553 - all the way up through to Halo 5: Guardians's time period, 2558?

Parts of them make sense, such as Sanghelios' distrust of humanity and humanities distrust of Sangheili. Others don't really make much sense. 

For instance, something that never made sense to me was that ONI would try to cause a civil war on Sanghelios when they could have simply supported The Arbiter, which would have led to a long standing peace. They had enough intel on him to know that his change of heart and mind was sincere, but for some reason they decided they didn't trust him. To me, it's illogical, especially considering how it (oh so predictably) turned out.

So why was the stupid decision made to remove split screen co-op from halo 5?

You realize this is a community forum right? As in run by players, not the devs. The official halo website is www.halowaypoint.com

Anyways, to answer your question apparently it's an FPS thing. 

Shannon Loftis during E3, "Well, we do listen to gamers. The priority feature for the release of Halo 5 was 60FPS, so that's what the team has been focused on delivering. But, you know, never say never. The glorious thing about Halo and about Xbox is that we can deliver continuous improvements to any experience. But, no announcements being made here."

As of right now they want to make sure the entire thing runs 60fps (no idea why) instead of dropping to 30fps when you split-screen. That being said, if enough complaining happens 343i might change their mind. The complaining kind of has to happen on the official wires though.

Why does Japan have all kinds of tasty treats (food/snacks) and we don't have nearly as much cool options as they do?

Japan has an obsession with the taboo and seasonal goodies. Artistic Japanese foods such as anime themed deserts and squid ink cheeseburgers make their way onto social media because... hell, that stuff is interesting. 

What would happen if the speed of light were infinite?

That would really mess with physics. For instance, the speed of light is pretty much the 'speed limit' of our universe. If it was infinite (which wouldn't be possible but w/e), that would mean that mass could travel a lot faster. Hypothetically speaking, if the speed of light was infinite, then the speed of mass would be as well.

As you can probably imagine, this would have a profound effect on pretty much everything to do with physics.

What would happen if your imagination decided the laws of this world?

Then we would be living in a dream.

Why does Japan have all kinds of tasty treats (food/snacks) and we don't have nearly as much cool options as they do?

Japan doesn't have very many (relatively) cultural taboos when it comes to food. For instance, they do not have the same cultural taboos when it comes to eating pets that we do in the western hemisphere. That combined with their massive population leads to more varieties of "tasty treats". You see, when you have a massive amount of mouths to feed you really don't want to feed all of them the same thing day after day or they may get a bit restless. Like the French did. So it only makes sense to make everything taste as different as possible. Plus, their population can support the many snack companies (and thereby snacks) that make these 'treats'. Our population isn't that large, so we can only support a (relatively) few different snack-makers at a time.

• Like 1

How does Mass equate to Energy?

Dude. E=MC^2 (Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared).

So how fast is Ludicrous speed? I know it's faster than light speed, but how much faster?

It is faster than FTL travel, so it can technically be any speed above 186,001 mi/sec.

Not detailed enough, and only relates under specific circumstances.

Specifics were not requested, and actually it covers all cases of energy to mass and mass to energy calculations, but if I must.

Einstein's mass–energy relation states that the universal proportionality factor between equivalent amounts of energy and mass is equal to the speed of light squared. You can convert units of mass to units of energy, no matter what system of measurement you use.

It can be applied to total energy (tE) or total mass. That looks like this. tE=tmc^2

It can also be applied to rest mass(rm) or rest energy(rE). That looks like this. rE=rmc^2

You'll notice that both of those look pretty similar to E=mc^2

But I digress. To relate total energy to rest mass (or rest energy to total mass), one requires a generalization of mass-energy relation. That equation is called Energy-Momentum Relation, and goes something like, Energy squared equals (momentum times the speed of light) squared multiplied by (rest mass times the speed of light squared) squared.

And that's about as far as I'm going to explain it, because I don't feel like explaining Lorentz transformation.

• Like 1

Do you know how to fix a laptop speaker popping/crackling sound? It happens when I'm playing audio, and it's pretty annoying. I think it has something to do with my audio drivers but I'm not sure. 

If it is audio drivers then I'll need to know what kind of OS it's running (i.e. Windows 7). 

It's a Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.

Well alright let's give this a shot. When you are on your 'dashboard' (the part that looks like previous version of Windows), look on the bottom left of your task bar for your speaker sound icon. If you hover your mouse over it it should say something like 'Speakers and Headphones 100%'. Right click on it and select 'Playback Devices'.

Now, find your speakers in the list. If you don't have additional speakers plugged in it should be the first one on the list. Double click it and a new window should pop up. Then, click the 'advanced' tab on this new window. Look for 'Default Format', and click the dropdown box. Then select whichever option has '(CD Quality)'. Then click test and see if it still crackles.

• Like 1

Well alright let's give this a shot. When you are on your 'dashboard' (the part that looks like previous version of Windows), look on the bottom left of your task bar for your speaker sound icon. If you hover your mouse over it it should say something like 'Speakers and Headphones 100%'. Right click on it and select 'Playback Devices'.

Now, find your speakers in the list. If you don't have additional speakers plugged in it should be the first one on the list. Double click it and a new window should pop up. Then, click the 'advanced' tab on this new window. Look for 'Default Format', and click the dropdown box. Then select whichever option has '(CD Quality)'. Then click test and see if it still crackles.

Thanks for the help, it doesn't seem to pop or crackle now. ^_^

• Like 1